PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! Ipod Got Wet!

carlow1
15th August 2005, 07:47 PM
Please help someone! My housemate has just dropped my iPod into a sink full of water and it's now dead. Is it gone forever or will it come back to life? I fear that it is indeed F***ed. Has anyone got any suggestions or at least give me an idea how much it will cost to be repaired. I think said housemate is about to become ex-housemate......

Wheels
15th August 2005, 07:52 PM
I don't know how or if this is the right thing to do but can you pull it apart and try to place it near something warm to dry it out???

Because if you leave it too long, then the wires or other parts inside the iPod may rust and then you sure are screwed!!

tommelbourne
15th August 2005, 07:52 PM
:P Got a hairdryer?

How long was it in the sink?

Moose
15th August 2005, 07:57 PM
Hairdryer. Not too close, or too hot.

Pray like you have never prayed before. If you don't have a god, make one up!

A god of electrical items would be appropriate. Or pray to Steve he must have some good contacts.

Good luck.

carlow1
15th August 2005, 08:01 PM
It was only in the water for a few seconds and I don't own a hair dryer. AHHH!!

The Fluffy Duck
15th August 2005, 08:48 PM
OK this is is sure to work.

OPTION (A)
Leave it near a heater/fan or something warm ( not to warm or you can damage it) for about a week. Do not turn it on for over a week and a half, the longer the better. Now if you have been trying to turn it on many times since then you may be short circuting some of the inner chips. That casues ireperable damage. Rust isnt really an issue as everything is stanless steel or plastic etc.

OPTION (B)
Get a few bags of silicon. You can find thase come with new dvd players etc. OR you can find them inside multi vitamens they are the bags saying (toxic do not eat). They absorb water or moister. If you dont have them the next best thing is salt now be very carefull here as you might create rust!
Get a large container and fill the bottem with salt. Now grab the ipod and place it in the container .Dont under any circumstance let the ipod and the salt to touch so raise the ipod on a cup or something. Seal the copntainer. Leave for about 1 week and a half. Once again dont turn it on untill such time etc.

Dont worry yet. what is done is done. IT may COME BACK TO LIFE !!!! Why not now you ask? becasue its being short circuted by water. So dont give up yet. but to be on the safe side dont turn it on for over a week and a half. Week minimum.

As you can see I have been quite an expert at electronic stuff falling in water (down side of having a dad as a plumber and owning a pool) :P The worse thing you can do is to turn it on after the acident . People panic which is the worse thing to do.

Tip: If its salt water or clorine from a pool the best thing to do is wash it in fresh water. Sounds stupid but at that way you get the evil coroding elements out of the gadget. Then follow steps A or B

Hope this helps

arty
15th August 2005, 09:01 PM
If it doesn't work after following the instructions above, then you now own a very expensive paperweight. Apart from out-of-warranty battery replacements there isn't much that can be done to fix an iPod. Apple don't provide service parts for them.

frenchtoast
15th August 2005, 09:11 PM
sell it on ebay. even if it saids in the description that it may not work someone will buy it at near full price.

rudiger53
15th August 2005, 09:55 PM
I would follow fluffy ducks advice. I have ressurected 2 mobile phones using the same trick. Works most of the time for me

Bart Smastard
15th August 2005, 10:22 PM
Sell all your housemates stuff and buy a new iPod :)
If they have enough stuff of decent value you might even be able to upgrade :D

uncyherb
15th August 2005, 10:27 PM
You can also get aerosol cans of hydroscopic fluid from places like Jaycar that the tech geeks use to spray water out the way... it's like WD40 / RP7 but will not harm electronic equipment.

If you had a can handy I'd spray some in, but if not definately follow the "don't turn it on, try and dry it out" methods described above.

danno74
15th August 2005, 10:48 PM
The problem is that the iPod never turns itself 'off', unless it's completely run out of battery power - it goes to sleep instead, awaiting a finger touch to the click wheel, so I'd be thinking that the chips shorted as soon as they made contact with the water.

Take it into an AppleCentre to see if they can resurrect it asap, or you may never be able to get your stuff from the hard drive. They could at least transfer your info for you if the hard drive didn't get wet.

DO NOT try to open the iPod yourself - did you hear about the kid who opened his iPod up and it exploded? The kid left his iPod in the wash, and it got wet - so, same thing here.

Squozen
16th August 2005, 10:47 AM
That kid did jam a screwdriver into his lithium battery, though.. :lol:

The Fluffy Duck
16th August 2005, 11:58 AM
That kid did jam a screwdriver into his lithium battery, though..

YEah that would do it

kim jong il
16th August 2005, 01:52 PM
I can't offer any more advice that would help other than the excellent advice above but how about a tale of encouragement?

Some time ago now an acquaintance tipped most of a VERY sugary mug of ovaltine into one of my keyboards. I unplugged it, charged out to the kitchen, tipped out as much as I could (too late it seemed; apple pro keyboards have a transparent case and it was everywhere) So I dismantled the keyboard, washed it out with water and gently dried it: it still had some problem keys which I flushed out with Acetone (a nice organic solvent) using a syringe (your local chemist can sell you all sorts of sizes: explain want you need it for if they have a policy of not selling such items to "potential" drug users) and it was all good (I'm using it now).

NOTE: this next note applies to keyboards only: If you live in Adelaide or a place with heavily mineralised water buy it distilled or de-mineralised from the supermarket

Sadly trying to get your friend to pay if it really IS dead (which we don't know yet at all) will be like getting blood from a stone.

Good luck, kim

Squozen
16th August 2005, 03:35 PM
I'd certainly expect any housemate of mine to replace something that they broke. I know I've replaced the odd thing or two I've accidentally broken when I lived in shared households.

marc
16th August 2005, 03:59 PM
Any news?

Good luck!

carlow1
16th August 2005, 05:40 PM
I've put my iPod in a bowl with some salt as suggested. I haven't tried to open it. I hope the salt will absorb the moisture. The iPod had an iSkin on it at the time I'm hoping that prevented more water getting into it. Unfortunately my housemate did press a few buttons after he fished it out. So that most certainly made it worse. I have also mentioned claiming it on the home contents insurance, and just get a new one. The 60gb ones are now cheaper than what I payed for this 40gb one. He has offered to give me his iPod as replacement, but I think I'll wait and see how it works out over the next week.

pipsqeek
17th August 2005, 01:51 PM
It's not a solution as such, but have you thought about killing your house mate and holding their life for randsom... oh, iduno.... for about $6000 for a new iPod and pain and suffering?

If I were you. I'd be living along right now.

ok.. enough with the shinannigans.

Pray that it gets covered by warranty or revert back to plan A.

Wheels
31st August 2005, 07:30 PM
Did the iPod ever recover??

Wheels8989

the_OM
31st August 2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I just read this, and I'm interested to see how you went?
And is your housemate still alive?

ford.boy
31st August 2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Aug 31 2005, 08:48 PM

And is your housemate still alive?
Remember the story of the guy that was bludgeoned to death with an ipod?

I'll let you fill in the gaps ;)

funkmaster_dan
1st September 2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ford.boy@Aug 31 2005, 10:08 PM
Remember the story of the guy that was bludgeoned to death with an ipod?

I'll let you fill in the gaps ;)
Ah yes, that story (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8138).

Anyway, I feel your pain carlow. Just last week I dropped my bag containing my beloved 3g and it now has a severely messed up hard disk head.

fompsweeva
1st September 2005, 11:35 AM
Someone I know got pushed into the swimming pool with their iPod in their pocket. They let it dry out, took it to the apple store and told them what happened and whether they can fix it. They were told to walk out of the store, then come back in, and tell them "It just stopped working"

Wally
1st September 2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Sep 1 2005, 11:35 AM
Someone I know got pushed into the swimming pool with their iPod in their pocket. They let it dry out, took it to the apple store and told them what happened and whether they can fix it. They were told to walk out of the store, then come back in, and tell them "It just stopped working"
LOL...

Smart Move