PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions from novice

Mychael
19th January 2010, 07:17 AM
1/ Is Safari in Mac the same as safari in PC?
I ask as I have both but only in the PC do I have a 'home' button in the browser and only on the PC version can I find a little gear icon which allows me to add control icons in the taskbar.

2/ Why is Mac booting slower now after I've done a clean erase/install?
When I took delivery of the Mac it had lots of stuff I did not want, multiple user accounts etc, etc and a a fair bit of stuff on the HDD, however it did boot very quick, faster then my Windows PC.
I then did a full erase/install, now got lots more free space on the HDD and running the same version 10.4.11 as before but boot up time a lot slower (compared to what it was).

3/ Downloading and installing programs.
I think I'm doing something wrong, I downloaded Firefox, it put a firefox.dmg (think it was) icon on the desktop, after clicking on this I got a 2nd firefox icon which looked a bit like zip drive with the firefox symbol on it.
Clicking on that then gave me a smaller box telling me to drag usual firefox symbol into the applications folder.
I did that and firefox loaded, put it's symbol in the dock and also in the apps folder however the other icon remained on the desktop.
Next time I re-started the machine firefox could not be found in the dock or apps folder but the other icon was still on the desktop, clicking on it again repeated the previous process of it telling me to drag the firefox icon in apps .

nibbles
19th January 2010, 07:33 AM
To answer question 1 - There is no home button by default but if you right/control click the bar and go to customise toolbar you can drag it from there

don't know how to answer question 2 other than do you have a lot of startup items e.g entourage or mail

Question 3 - where did it save firefox because it should be a little hard disk like icon inside a piece of paper, double click it & it will mount a white icon on your desktop and also open a folder then Drag the firefox icon to the app's folder & then drag the little white icon that came up on your desktop before into the trash and your done.

Mychael
19th January 2010, 07:52 AM
To answer question 1 - There is no home button by default but if you right/control click the bar and go to customise toolbar you can drag it from there

don't know how to answer question 2 other than do you have a lot of startup items e.g entourage or mail

Question 3 - where did it save firefox because it should be a little hard disk like icon inside a piece of paper, double click it & it will mount a white icon on your desktop and also open a folder then Drag the firefox icon to the app's folder & then drag the little white icon that came up on your desktop before into the trash and your done.

#1. Thanks got that sorted.
#2 Not sure, certainly not mail and not sure what entourage is.
#3 After I downloaded firefox it placed a blue/white icon which you might say looks like a disk icon on the desktop.
I've since re-booted again, that desktop icon is still there but it's also opened a blue window which shows a graphical representation of dragging the firefox icon into the apps folder which I've already tried several times.
However just to confuse the issue it also loaded firefox by itself and put an icon in the dock.

euphospug
19th January 2010, 09:22 AM
2 - the computer might be SPOTLIGHT indexing, I remember when I was on 10.4 that used to drive me up the wall.
3 - Are you dragging the ICON for Firefox that appears in the 'instructions' because that is the actual '.app' ?

Mychael
19th January 2010, 09:30 AM
2 - the computer might be SPOTLIGHT indexing, I remember when I was on 10.4 that used to drive me up the wall.
3 - Are you dragging the ICON for Firefox that appears in the 'instructions' because that is the actual '.app' ?

#2 Is that something I can change?
#3 Yes dragging the ICON into the apps folder.

euphospug
19th January 2010, 10:32 AM
2 - I'm not sure. I think that I had to just let the computer run-it's-course and finish indexing. Look in the top right corner of the screen - is the magnifying glass doing anything?

3 - Sorry, was just seeing if you were dragging the correct ICON. I know people that see the drag x to app folder instructions as just 'instructions' (ie a visual clue to what to do), then they drag the DMG to the APP folder.

3dward_Shaddow
19th January 2010, 01:33 PM
#3 You need to open the apps folder and drag the firefox icon from there to your dock, then eject the dmg file from the desktop.

Installing Firefox on Mac (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Mac)

Mychael
19th January 2010, 03:23 PM
#3 You need to open the apps folder and drag the firefox icon from there to your dock, then eject the dmg file from the desktop.

Installing Firefox on Mac (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Mac)

Thanks, Was not sure what to do with the dmg file. I take it I cannot just drop it in trash, how does one eject a file?

MrJesseRoss
19th January 2010, 03:26 PM
You eject drives the same way. Drag it to the trash, it will change into the 'eject' icon.

Mychael
19th January 2010, 03:40 PM
You eject drives the same way. Drag it to the trash, it will change into the 'eject' icon.

Thanks everyone, all sorted now.umm no, just watching the machine re-boot and I still keep getting a pop up window showing me to drag the firefox app to applications folder and now I have 2 firefox icons in the dock and the firefox alias (think that's the right term) icon has re-appeared on the desktop and if I click on that I again get the pop up window showing/telling me to drag a firefox icon to apps

LennyX
19th January 2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, sounds like you need to start this from scratch.

Take both Firefox icons out of the dock (drag them out and they'll disappear in a puff of smoke).
Delete anything called Firefox from your Applications folder.

Double click Firefox 3.5.7.dmg.
A window with 2 icons should pop up. Drag the orange & blue Firefox icon to the blue Applications folder.
Wait a few seconds for it to finish copying.

Drag the blue Firefox disk from your desktop to the trash to eject it.
You can delete the Firefox 3.5.7.dmg file from your Downloads folder if you want.

To use Firefox, open it from your Applications folder. If you want to keep it in your dock, just drag it around to where you want it and it should stay there.

Or you could just use Safari which is generally faster and better.

Mychael
19th January 2010, 04:32 PM
Ok, sounds like you need to start this from scratch.

Take both Firefox icons out of the dock (drag them out and they'll disappear in a puff of smoke).
Delete anything called Firefox from your Applications folder.

[ done both of those]

Double click Firefox 3.5.7.dmg.
A window with 2 icons should pop up. Drag the orange & blue Firefox icon to the blue Applications folder.
Wait a few seconds for it to finish copying.

[did that]

Drag the blue Firefox disk from your desktop to the trash to eject it.
You can delete the Firefox 3.5.7.dmg file from your Downloads folder if you want.

[did that] {except for the .dmg bit, it's on the desktop, how do I handle that?}

To use Firefox, open it from your Applications folder. If you want to keep it in your dock, just drag it around to where you want it and it should stay there.

[did that]

Or you could just use Safari which is generally faster and better.

[ I like firefox and got all my bookmarks with xmarks saved to bring across]

Thanks for all your help. Seems to have worked ok so far except for the .dmg bit on the desktop, where is the downloads folder again, still finding my way around. Thanks for your patience

3dward_Shaddow
19th January 2010, 05:17 PM
Click and drag the .dmg file on the desktop to the trash. It will turn into an eject icon. Let go and the file will disappear.

Installing Applications in Mac OS X - Mac Guides (http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X)

Mychael
19th January 2010, 05:28 PM
Click and drag the .dmg file on the desktop to the trash. It will turn into an eject icon. Let go and the file will disappear.

Installing Applications in Mac OS X - Mac Guides (http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X)

All good now, thanks everyone. :)