PDA

View Full Version : Keep MobileMe address without renewal?

vngu2547
19th January 2010, 12:09 AM
Hey guys,

I really can't justify paying for MobileMe anymore; the only features I can't replace are safari bookmark syncing and 'Find My iPhone.' However, I thought I was pretty lucky being able to get [myname]@me.com. Now, [myname]@mac.com is the account I use, and will continue to use, with iTunes. If I do not renew, will others be able to register [myname]@me.com?

Thanks a bunch!

LennyX
19th January 2010, 01:22 AM
Once a MobileMe/.Mac username has been registered, no one can reuse it in the future even after the membership has expired.

Not sure about how it works with regards to your Apple ID. I'm guessing you can probably still use the MobileMe email address but I don't know.

dekco
19th January 2010, 01:25 AM
But if you dont pay for it; doesnt it go back into the pool of available usernames? Obviously apple wont let you use it for free.

Kind of like mobile numbers, certain expired numbers are recycled; hence sometimes you may get someone dialling your 'new' number asking for the old person.

vngu2547
19th January 2010, 01:58 AM
But if you dont pay for it; doesnt it go back into the pool of available usernames?

It's my understanding that [myname]@me OR mac.com are both valid and inseparable addresses. I'm not sure they would require me to use another address just so another person could have it. My guess is that the online transaction would be rejected. As to whether I would have to cede the address after being contacted by an Apple representative, I'm not sure. However, I think this is a very unlikely scenario. Perhaps as unlikely as someone wanting the same address that I now have :D

kyte
19th January 2010, 04:42 AM
It's my understanding that [myname]@me OR mac.com are both valid and inseparable addresses. I'm not sure they would require me to use another address just so another person could have it. My guess is that the online transaction would be rejected. As to whether I would have to cede the address after being contacted by an Apple representative, I'm not sure. However, I think this is a very unlikely scenario. Perhaps as unlikely as someone wanting the same address that I now have :D

I think you will retain the use of the address for the itunes store and for ichat. I had a dotmac address a few years back but never renewed it, and I still have that address as my itunes/app store account.

Nobody from Apple will tell you that you can't have it. You just can't use it as an email address.

Jaffa
19th January 2010, 04:53 AM
I have a question. I have an Apple ID which is not an email address, just a name. Can I buy MobileMe and have it replace my Apple ID without having to go through all the information filling-in for the new ID?