PDA

View Full Version : Regular updates for Tiger.

Mychael
18th January 2010, 04:55 PM
My "new" G4 runs Tiger 10.4.11.. When I did a clean install the first thing it did was all the updates. Every time I'm logging on (daily) it still seems to be finding at least 6 new updates to install. I'm wondering if it's actually installing the updates it's downloading, it asks for a re-start after the downloading has completed so I've been assuming it knows what it's doing but maybe not.
Any thoughts?

Meh 626
18th January 2010, 05:38 PM
When I did a fresh install of 10.4 on my iMac (late last year) it went through Software Update numerous times. A lot of the updates are newer versions of programs and plug-ins than the original ones that came from the OS X install disc. Tiger was released 5 years ago, many updates to programs and plug-ins have occurred since then.

Keep going you'll get there in the end.

ClockWork
18th January 2010, 05:46 PM
It only knows what it needs as the updates are installed, so you allow it to install one set of updates, after Restart, software update then seeks out what is needed on top of that.

What I do is look at the Software Updates window to see what it needs - then download each software update as a .dmg directly from Apple's Download site, create a new folder, put the new updates in it and copy them to an external drive.

Install them all, then click the Apple menu, scroll down to: Software Update... see what new updates it needs, download those .dmgs directly from Apple, create a New number 2 folder, put them in it, copy them to an external drive, install them all and so on.

In this way, I'll never need to download them again, should I ever need to reinstall Mac OS X 10.4.

I do the same with Mac OS 10.5 updates.