PDA

View Full Version : Strange Keyboard

timbradley
18th January 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

First post here!

I have a MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody, purchased early 09.)

Just recently had it repaired through insurance, and the keyboard it has now is different.

Can anyone tell me, has the MBP keyboard changed, or have they lumped me with some aftermarket crappola??

Pic Below. Cheers all!!

http://www.timbradley.com.au/images/keyboard.jpg

Japester
18th January 2010, 03:35 PM
That's a UK keyboard. I don't know why it's got a tall Return key. It's a standard keyboard.

Lutze
18th January 2010, 04:52 PM
That's a UK keyboard. I don't know why it's got a tall Return key. It's a standard keyboard.

That's NOT a UK keyboard. UK keyboards have a ₤ (UK pound) on the 3 key. Not a #.

Oh and they also have a Euro symbol on the 2 alongside the @ key.

Japester
18th January 2010, 04:56 PM
Good point. I didn't go down to the level of the keycap markings. Still, that's the common layout of UK keyboards, in my experience. It would be very hard to knock off the top section of a MacBook Pro, but I guess it could be done. A mystery. I would ask some pointed questions of the repairer.

nibbles
18th January 2010, 04:56 PM
It's similar to the UK keyboard, I had a PC one a few years ago the same as that. Call them up and ask why you got a different keyboard and what they can do about it

Lutze
18th January 2010, 05:12 PM
The strange part is that the return key is the correct size.

On the MBP unibody your keyboard section is milled, my MBP Unibody 17" keyboard has a flat "normal" return key.

My GB wired Alu keyboard has the longer return key and the aforementioned pound and euro keys.

Where do you see a difference? If it's the keyboard I believe that it's the whole unibody that's been replaced.

morgan
18th January 2010, 05:26 PM
What is different about it?

Phunky
18th January 2010, 06:13 PM
Looks completely different to mine

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5483/39342350.jpg

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/715/66700910.jpg

Missing the lettering, the return key is odd shaped, the \ button is next to the " button, the ~ button is next to the z key! and you have some +/- button where ~ normally goes
How bizzare

timbradley
18th January 2010, 06:16 PM
I know - very strange!

Thanks for the pictures Phunky, I was just thinking it would be handy to have pics of a proper one.

Do you mind if I use them??

Cheers,

Tim

Phunky
18th January 2010, 06:18 PM
no problemo

Lutze
18th January 2010, 06:28 PM
Okay... found it.

It's an International English keyboard.

Apple Keyboard with numeric keypad - International English - Apple Store (Republic of Ireland) (http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB110Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTE0MDIyODA)

leon
18th January 2010, 06:37 PM
I know - very strange!

Thanks for the pictures Phunky, I was just thinking it would be handy to have pics of a proper one.

Do you mind if I use them??

Cheers,

Tim

Where are you located? Are you in Australia or O/S?
What was the repair? Do you even have the original machine or did they replace it with another one?

Lutze
18th January 2010, 06:40 PM
What was the repair? Do you even have the original machine or did they replace it with another one?

As I said... if it's a unibody and the keyboard layout has changed then that's a brand new machine - you can't change from Au style keyboard to an Int. style one on the unibody models.

timbradley
18th January 2010, 07:56 PM
Interesting thought.

I did notice that the battery may look a little odd.
Has someone got a picture of the normal Aust Battery for an MBP?

Cheers

Tim

timbradley
18th January 2010, 07:59 PM

I'm in Aust. As far as I am aware it has been repaired. There was no mention of a replacement, and they had to wait for parts. The invoice unfortunately doesn't itemise the parts which were replaced.

Will try to give them a call in the morning to get more details

Cheers

Tim

leon
18th January 2010, 08:08 PM
I'm in Aust. As far as I am aware it has been repaired. There was no mention of a replacement, and they had to wait for parts. The invoice unfortunately doesn't itemise the parts which were replaced.

Will try to give them a call in the morning to get more details

Cheers

Tim

Is your serial number the same? Was it case damage that you had? By the looks of it you have a completely new bottom case and keyboard.

timbradley
19th January 2010, 05:22 PM
Well, having spoken to both the insurance company and the repairer today, here's the story...

They gave the serial number to the supplier and that is the keyboard they supplied...which I consider odd since, firstly, the original keyboard was as pictured in Phunky's post above, and secondly, as far as I'm aware, every mac keyboard supplied in Australia is of the US english layout...Anyway, they are going to get the correct keyboard and replace it.

Also, as an aside, since being 'repaired' the laptop no longer goes to sleep when the lid is closed, nor does the indicator LED on the front work...

Considering it only had cosmetic damage when put in for repair, it actually has more functional damage AFTER being repaired than it did before...ridiculous, hey?!

MrJesseRoss
19th January 2010, 05:37 PM
That can't be your original machine if the keyboard layout is different. The Macbook Pro is one solid piece of aluminium, they can't simply swap the keyboard out without swapping the entire enclosure.

The Australian standard is the US English keyboard, and that's definitely not it. I'm inclined to believe that they've replaced your machine entirely.

Edit: as leon asked, do you have a record of your original serial number, like the box or your original receipt? AppleCare's tied to the machine's serial as well if you have that (though if you repaired it through your insurer you may not).

nibbles
19th January 2010, 06:09 PM
Because it's 'unibody' doesn't mean that it is one piece, it means it was made from one piece originally in fact the unibody has a top and bottom casing i believe see this picture, though i could be wrong

http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/SHdpS4vY1kdqB4TU.huge

MrJesseRoss
19th January 2010, 06:27 PM
Ah ok, I was under the impression it was still one piece. I've not had the opportunity to take a MBP apart :)

Still, whether it's a replaced part or the whole machine, that's not an Australian standard part that they've replaced timbradley's with.

Phunky
19th January 2010, 08:07 PM
Keep in mind the serial number on the bottom piece can easily be interchanged between machines since u take the whole bottom off when getting at the insides of the machine

Lutze
19th January 2010, 09:22 PM
Because it's 'unibody' doesn't mean that it is one piece, it means it was made from one piece originally in fact the unibody has a top and bottom casing i believe see this picture, though i could be wrong

http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/SHdpS4vY1kdqB4TU.huge

The picture is wrong. That's not a unibody - the battery is clearly removable.

tcn33
19th January 2010, 09:27 PM
The picture is wrong. That's not a unibody - the battery is clearly removable.

The 15" Late 2008 MBP had a removable battery, you're thinking of the Mid-2009 which did not. OP mentioned he bought his in early 2009 which makes it the former.

Lutze
19th January 2010, 09:31 PM
The 15" Late 2008 MBP had a removable battery, you're thinking of the Mid-2009 which did not. OP mentioned he bought his in early 2009 which makes it the former.

I sit corrected. Sorry folks.

gr8bob
20th January 2010, 05:33 AM
Keep in mind the serial number on the bottom piece can easily be interchanged between machines since u take the whole bottom off when getting at the insides of the machine

If you take note, the serial number/machine tag is actually affixed to the top case, visible within the battery compartment. :)

KaitoYamaro
23rd January 2010, 09:56 PM
I've got the same 'strange' keyboard, such one is usually shipped in Poland, so I reckon it's the 'European' one.