PDA

View Full Version : Where Do The Transferred Files Go?

froggy
15th August 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi all

I've just started trying out Adium (as suggested elsewhere). Looks good. (Mostly) works well. But when I send a file to another (Yahoo) user on Windoze, they can't find the files. All seems to work well when I send the file via the original Yahoo.

purana
15th August 2005, 02:17 PM
Umm no idea. Since we have no control on where the files we send go to the machine on the other end.

Does the user on Windows (the other end) get some sort of indication that the file is accepted and is going to be saved somewhere? ie. It actually does transfer something? And prompts them before doing so?

feeze
15th August 2005, 02:24 PM
It might be best to have a look around the Aduim X website: http://www.adiumx.com/

The app is still in bet and file transfer has been a bit flakey in the past. I believe they have sorted out most of the bugs, but it's better to ask the developers just in case.

froggy
15th August 2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by purana@Aug 15 2005, 02:17 PM
Umm no idea. Since we have no control on where the files we send go to the machine on the other end.

Does the user on Windows (the other end) get some sort of indication that the file is accepted and is going to be saved somewhere? ie. It actually does transfer something? And prompts them before doing so?
No indication at the other end. No prompts, either. The user was about to go to check their e-mail, but I said that I had transferred the file through Yahoo and they were surprised. I got notification at my end. I was told the userid of the receiver and the name of the file that I had sent.

I realise that I have no control, but it seemed strange that Yahoo would send it ok, but Adium didn't.

Thanks for your input!

DJY
15th August 2005, 05:04 PM
get them to have a look in Yahoo Messenger Preferences (or maybe it is called Tools) menu.
Most Windoze Messenger programs allow you to specify where it saves downloaded files...

e.g. MSN Messenger used to save files in separate user name folers under
c:\Program Files\Messenger\Received Files\[username]\

or something close...
Yahoo Messenger from memory does simililar.

Squozen
16th August 2005, 10:45 AM
They should just do a Spotlight check... oh... wait....

erm... *cough*

froggy
16th August 2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Squozen@Aug 16 2005, 10:45 AM
They should just do a Spotlight check... oh... wait....

erm... *cough*
G'day Squozen,
How far are you from where I live? You don't give your location, but I'm sure that my computer reacted when your *cough* came through loud and clear a little while ago!

How loud was that cough?

AusMac
16th August 2005, 11:45 AM
umm..
don't they get a receiving file transfer notice to authorise and a save to... dialog?
don't they get a file transfer progress window?

froggy
16th August 2005, 12:32 PM
AusMac
They do get all that when I transferred from her using Yahoo client, but not when I transferred the file using Adium. Hence the question in the first place.

I just tried sorting it all out with the user concerned, but to no avail. I know now that if I need to transfer a file, I'll do it withing the original Yahoo client.

Thanks for all your help, folks