PDA

View Full Version : Haggling a MacBook & accessories

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi! I'm off to buy a MacBook this weekend and just had some questions... I'll be going to harvey norman as I already have a ge card and was declined hsbc credit at jb... I'll be putting down $800 cash and the rest on 6 months interest free. I want a MacBook, AppleCare, iWork, cordless mouse and a case. I've seen MacBook advertised for $1249 on the net, iWork is $129 at the mo at jb, David Jones offered me Applecare for $338... Do you think if I tell Harvey Norman this they will match all these prices, even tho they're from different stores? I'm putting about 50% cash down. And any other advice would be helpful please!

nibbles
15th January 2010, 10:40 AM
To my knowledge harvey norman don't sell apple

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 10:49 AM
Most Harvey Normans I called told me that as well but there is one store in QV that does. I was in there this week but they were waiting on stock. Thinking of trying the good guys in highpoint as well as they take ge finance and have two in stock...

dekco
15th January 2010, 11:04 AM
you can only try, and haggle your way. but being financed; dont expect too much discount. if somehow you are able to pay outright (cash works best), my bet would be 10% (slightly more if you are lucky)

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 11:34 AM
JB offered me a MacBook, iWork & Applecare for $1776 ($1257 mac, $390 Applecare & $129 iWork)... Is this reasonable or can I do better? The Good Guys said they will match the price. Should I go for it or try for a bigger discount? Thanks for your advice by the way, it's much appreciated.

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 11:36 AM
That offer was with $600 cash upfront...

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 12:28 PM
I just went to another JB and got a price of $1205 MacBook, $370 Applecare and $129 standard for iWork... Best deal so far. Should I just take it?

FergusB
15th January 2010, 01:06 PM
Saw a MacBook in my local jb with a ticket for $1117 the other week.
Try and get that down a bit. ;)

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 01:09 PM
Was that the latest version or old stock?

glitch
15th January 2010, 01:14 PM
considering $1205 is about $20 above cost price for a reseller, you wont do any better than that for the current base model MacBook.

Majikmoo
15th January 2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah that's what I thought... I went in to get a price match for $1249 and he came out with $1205...

FergusB
15th January 2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah that was current stock. Just new, current, non display model stock. :)

glitch
15th January 2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah that was current stock. Just new, current, non display model stock. :)

must be loss leading to get customers in the door, its well below cost at that price.

iCameron
19th January 2010, 01:39 PM
What state are you in? Domayne at the Gold Coast do fantastic deals, i've been buying Apple products from them for the last 5 years! and wouldn't even consider shopping anywhere else!

With the GE financing your lucky to get anything off, what they will most likely do is discount accessories and try and sell you AppleCare (which is completely worth it) however AppleCare can be bought of eBay for $100-150 cheaper.

JB seems to do good deals as well, ask them to bargain down the accessories as much as they can. Never shop at Harvey Norman, they're terrible but always try and use them as price-match.

All in all, the best way to get cheap Apple Products is wait for an announcement, and the day when the new products come out, ask to buy the old line-up. You may not be getting the latest and greatest (sometimes there's very little change) but you can be assured you'll get a cheaper price!

Hope this helps!

Diluded
19th January 2010, 05:54 PM
being i work for harveys in new zealand...heres the drill

all apple product has only 1% margin so no discount for you

interest free finance carrys what we call retention...eg it
rips 6% to 13% out of the sale.......so that makes the deal go
backwards hence...again...no discount or deal for you

Harveys in NZ are THE major apple reseller and when there is
advertised interest free it goes crazy.....we can only offer interest free
when the supplier rebates us back the cost on finance

so there you have it

Honest John
19th January 2010, 05:59 PM
AFTER;) you've bought your MacBook, check out eBay etc for overseas sourced Applecare. You can afford to wait for a full 12 months to get it at "the right price", because you already have Apple's cover for the 1st year anyway.( Applecare simply adds another 2years onto the END of your 1st year). So, you have a full year from date of purchase to get your Applecare - contrary to what your Harvey Rip staff will try to have you believe.

You definitely DON"T have to get it when you buy the Mac.

You'll find that it's a helluva lot cheaper than our local ripoff prices AND it IS portable to anywhere in the world, regardless of where it was purchased. I got mine at less than half the local price - had no issues when I registered it locally and recently needed to claim a repair.

haydio
19th January 2010, 10:48 PM
What state are you in? could possibly help you out.

Pink
19th January 2010, 11:48 PM
Don't buy from Harvey Norman!

NathR32
20th January 2010, 12:00 AM
Don't buy from Harvey Norman!

Wow, very informative post there.
I have had no problem with Harvey Norman. Their prices are quite high compared to other stores, but they have matched and beaten the price on every item I have bought from there.

dekco
20th January 2010, 12:07 AM
As long as you do your homework, no retailer is ever too expensive. Sales staff want their commission (read: your custom), so they will do the best they can to get your business. This goes for everything not just macs.

wullieb1
20th January 2010, 11:31 AM
I walked into JB HiFi when Myer had there 10% on Sunday and they price matched and i got it on 12 months interest free using my exisitng account with HSBC.