PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and AEBS music folder gone missing!!

Torker
15th January 2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry if have posted this in the wrong forum, but Houston I have a problem....

I have a MBP on AEBS with a 1TB usb HD, I also have networked and PC (i know but its only for the interim).

I have all my itunes music tv etc all on the external HD. With the pc everything is fine, but when I go add the library to my MBP -

1. It doesnt get everything, it stops after 60GB

2. After making sure all the paths match and trying it again, this morning I found that whole music folder has gone from the HD, but heres the thing my iTunes on my mac is still playing the tracks brought across and when you go to get info it directs itself to a blank itunes music folder.

3. It also deleted all of my tv shows when I tried it the 1st time grrrrrrrrrr

ANYHELP????

Japester
15th January 2010, 09:47 AM
Is it formatted as NTFS or FAT32?

Torker
15th January 2010, 10:26 AM
its in FAT32

Japester
15th January 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm guessing you created the library on the PC and later wanted to use it with the Mac. I'm also guessing that the Mac is not happy with the FAT32 volume. It should be allright but I've seen weird things happen with FAT32 volumes on Macs. Best to use HFS+ unless you intend to use it cross platform.

So connect it to your PC and examine it. This would be the machine to determine whether you've lost anything. Perhaps the Mac can't see stuff on it.

If you intend to use the drive primarily with your Mac, dump the contents elsewhere using a PC, then reformat the drive as HFS+ and copy the iTunes library and files on to it. Launch iTunes while holding down Option and Choose Library.... Find the library on the external drive and click Open. Don't forget to change the location to save files in the Advanced tab of the iTunes preferences.

Another approach to cross-platform compatibility is to format the drive as HFS+ and install MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/) on the PC so that it can read the drive. It's a pretty reliable piece of software.

Torker
15th January 2010, 03:57 PM
point 1 - your guess is right I did create the library in PC

I'll try everything you said when I get home tonight....

Off the topic can you use Time Machine to back up your MBP to an external HD plugged into a mac mini??

Thanks for you help, this site is better than the guys at Apple.... :)

Japester
15th January 2010, 04:00 PM
...Off the topic can you use Time Machine to back up your MBP to an external HD plugged into a mac mini?....

Sure can. It's just a network volume. As long as you can mount it, you can back up to it.

Torker
15th January 2010, 04:06 PM
AWESOME, think that is the way I'll go....

I currently have my PC plugged into my TV going wirelessly into AEBS and they are networked, so I think instead of getting ATV in might just go MAc Mini and use front row....

Thoughts??

Japester
15th January 2010, 04:26 PM
...I currently have my PC plugged into my TV going wirelessly into AEBS and they are networked, so I think instead of getting ATV in might just go MAc Mini and use front row....

Thoughts??

If you're married to iTunes content (bought from the iTunes Store or your own rips), Apple TV is a cheaper solution and elegant. If you want to support multiple codecs and have more flexibility, Mini is a great way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torker
19th January 2010, 09:49 PM
True,

well I've just found out that my lovely girlfriend has got me ATV for my upcoming bday with a 1tb hd.

What's the best way to get ATV working from it???

Japester
19th January 2010, 09:55 PM
True,

well I've just found out that my lovely girlfriend has got me ATV for my upcoming bday with a 1tb hd.

What's the best way to get ATV working from it???

Not sure what you mean. You can't have a 1Tb drive in an Apple TV. What do you mean?

Torker
19th January 2010, 11:22 PM
its probably the wrong forum but I've seen and read that you can use an external hd from ATV using a hack.