PDA

View Full Version : robbed

lach
13th January 2010, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone,

Thought I would share an experience I recently had. I couple of nights ago I was robbed. My macbook pro, and 2 iPhones were taken (among a couple of other things). One of them was registered with mobile me, so I was able to lock it right away. They turned it on the next night and I saw where it was. Amazing stuff. Not enough for the cops though unfortunately. Have given the IMEI of one of them to the network, so it's bricked. The cops have both IMEI numbers.

Anyone had any experience in this department?

iCarllovesapple
13th January 2010, 12:26 AM
Zomg, you found the location? Get it now + note it. I would *so* go to the house... Get a few Very built men to come with me. My uncles would do. No one messes with my Apple Gear and gets away with it ;)

DeanCorp
13th January 2010, 12:42 AM
Damn! Sorry to hear that mate. I was talking to a cop and they said most people get the IMEI's blocked. They highly recommend NOT to do this, because the longer it is active the more chance they have of tracking it. Each time the phone is used, the IMEI is sent to the network, the cops have the ability to track the number down and find the culprit.

Steeley
13th January 2010, 09:07 AM
What's the point of mobileme tracking if, when it gets stolen, the police won't use the information? I mean, it gives you the freakin' house number and a nice map to follow! What do they want? A chauffeur? Valet parking?

beckcollect
13th January 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm sure many of us register our iPhones, iPods and iMacs on the Apple web site, which means that Apple has the contact name and email address of products and their seriel numbers.

Is there a way to contact Apple so that they can see if someone else attempts to register say, an iPod that is already registered by someone else?

It would make sense.

BC

brian_g
13th January 2010, 12:30 PM
Too late now but check out Undercover http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

I have it on all my macs - although I haven't needed to use it yet there are some testimonials on their website and I see they now have an iPhone app

Comet
13th January 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm sure many of us register our iPhones, iPods and iMacs on the Apple web site, which means that Apple has the contact name and email address of products and their seriel numbers.

Is there a way to contact Apple so that they can see if someone else attempts to register say, an iPod that is already registered by someone else?

It would make sense.

BC

I've contacted Apple when I had my iBook years ago, but they've never contacted me. I don't think it is really going to help find it by telling Apple that it's stolen, though it would give you the piece of mind.

Sorry to hear. Hope you've got enough insurance coverage to at least get you replacements.

lach
13th January 2010, 02:22 PM
Too late now but check out Undercover http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

I have it on all my macs - although I haven't needed to use it yet there are some testimonials on their website and I see they now have an iPhone app

That looks interesting. Funnily enough I was talking to a mate about a similar program for PC that he uses, just a day or 2 before the robbery. Will definitely look into buying it when I get my stuff replaced. Thank god for Time Machine

ZeMule
13th January 2010, 02:50 PM
Thank god for Time Machine
Lucky they didn't swipe your external drive as well. phew!

hackia
18th January 2010, 03:39 PM
Cops arent gonna do anything unless your phone is related to a major crime like a murder.
So if the robber uses your phone to kill someone, then they will hunt him down.

I lost my phone nor did the service provider help or the cops.

Personally I would try that last area the phone was on check out the area.
also check craigslist ad's and see if there stupid enough to list your items.

then out and get those scum bags.