PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Has Insomnia, Won't Sleep

vargz
14th August 2005, 08:35 AM
I mainly use my 12" PB on the Power Adapter and have it set for the computer to sleep after 5 mins of inactivity and the display to sleep after 3 mins of inactivity. But Im finding that the display will sleep but the actual computer won't sleep, so effectively, if I walk away from my PB and come back some time (more than 5 mins) later, the screen is blackened but the computer is still running.

If I want the PB to sleep, I have to force it via the Apple menu.

Any ideas as to why it won't sleep voluntarily as per the settings? I'm running 10.4.2.

Cheers :)

The Architect.mac
14th August 2005, 10:06 AM
Do you have any devices plugged in when the sleeping won't occur?

So the display goes black, the light on the front won't breathe, but the screen does not wake to the desktop it just seems on even after the allowed times in the power adapter sleep settings- is that right?

Will it sleep without the power adapter?

Anyone have an Airclick USB and their mac won't sleep when connected?

Cheers

vargz
14th August 2005, 10:53 AM
I have the power adapter, usb optical mini-mouse and audio line-out all connected to my PB.

Yeah display goes black after 3 mins of inactivity, computer doesn't sleep after 5 mins of inactivity (the white light doesn't breathe). So in effect, the computer is still on, the screen is black but displays the desktop again as expected when i move the mouse or press a key.

Minus the power adapter (so running on battery), the same thing happens, screen sleeps, computer doesn't.

I'm not sure how this happened, though it might have occured as a result of one of the updates, either 10.4.1 or 10.4.2, cos it certainly worked fine when I first got my PB.

The Architect.mac
14th August 2005, 10:58 AM
Will it sleep minus the mouse?

and its strange how you can force it to sleep and it will ---

Maybe the OS is doing something in the background and let it do its thing ????

Cheers

gurgle
14th August 2005, 11:22 AM
what processes do you have running on your 'book while you're waiting for it to sleep?

i set my ibook to sleep after 10 mins of inactivity but it doesnt while i have itunes playing. i actually appreciate this, cos it lets me set an album to play while im going to bed, so i can fall asleep and i kno my ibook will fall asleep too when its finished =)

neilrobinson
14th August 2005, 11:31 AM
i find the same with my MDD... my cause is the applications i have open. generally; xchat, mail, adium, safari, itunes & vlc. i also generally have a couple of network drives mapped. if i unmap my network drives and close all the applications it works 100% ;)

i usually use a program called "iWannaSleep" which allows you to set a specified time before sleep/shutdown etc happens. I like to watch my screensaver for a while in bed... helps me relax and dream... :ph34r:

neil

vargz
14th August 2005, 11:36 AM
Minus the mouse makes no difference.

I will try closing the apps. I normally only have iTunes (on pause or idle) and a browser (Safari or Firefox open).

Will let ya know how I go.

vargz
14th August 2005, 11:51 AM
OK, I've tried closing all apps, even checking the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" option, but no cigar.

My Powerbook is officially an insomniac. It won't sleep voluntarily, I have to force it!

Silver
14th August 2005, 02:37 PM
I had the same problem with my iBook (2001 dual USB) under 10.3. The problem has gone away now with 10.4.2. Seeing as you're already running 10.4.2, I can't say what the problem was.

Although, when I upgraded I didn't install back anywhere near the amount of stuff that was on the iBook before hand.

Mac Aid
14th August 2005, 06:34 PM
Have a look in activity viewer.

You may have some software running in the background, so your computer doesn't consider itself asleep.

For example, some peer to peer files sharing apps don't die when you quit, and some drivers can also sit in the background.

You might also try resetting the firmware/PRAM, and removing the audio interface. Failing that, try creating a new user, and seeing if it will sleep with that one.

p53
15th August 2005, 07:56 PM
This is quite a common problem apparently. I've been having the same problem from 10.4 to 10.9
Mac Aid summed up all the fix suggestions I've heard plus some. I've pretty much just let it be but will have a go at it again this week. It does annoy me a bit.

p53

bullrout
15th August 2005, 08:05 PM
You could always just buy Lights Out.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6530

vargz
27th August 2005, 11:29 PM
Just an update, my Powerbook has been cured of its insomnia!

Thanks for all your replies. The thing is, I didn't take anyone's advice here. I didn't install any new software or updates or tweak settings or anything. It seems to have just naturally cured itself without any treatment or medication!

So Im happy to know my Powerbook won't be losing any sleep :D

Cheerz

Johnny Appleseed
28th August 2005, 12:31 AM
I've found that iPhoto (both versions 4 and 5) keeps my PowerBook awake.

macintoshrules
28th August 2005, 10:46 AM
Meanwhile, I want to give my powerbook insomnia so it won't sleep when the lid's shut... No such luck. Only if I carry around a mouse, keyboard and monitor...

Mac Aid
28th August 2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by macintoshrules@Aug 28 2005, 10:46 AM
Meanwhile, I want to give my powerbook insomnia so it won't sleep when the lid's shut... No such luck. Only if I carry around a mouse, keyboard and monitor...
It won't stop it going to sleep, but generally if you plug in a usb device with the lid shut, it'll wake up.

p53
29th August 2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by macintoshrules@Aug 28 2005, 10:46 AM
Try downloading Sleepless from Versiontracker.com I think there are other programs but that's the only one whose name I can remember.

p53