PDA

View Full Version : Backing up the whole OSX settings, apps and docs to a networked drive?

xtreme2k
11th January 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi all

I am wondering if there are anyway to backup the entire mac including:
- softwares
- settings
- docs
- media

to a networked drive on a PC?

I know you can transfer a mac to another mac directly. But I dont have another mac.

Just to give you guys some background. I will be travelling in the end of the month and while I am overseas I will get a SSD drive to upgrade my Macbook pro. I will take the OSX disc with me but I really cannot be bothered to bring all softwares with me and so on.

What options do I have?

Thanks all

JaimeSharp
12th January 2010, 01:31 AM
Create a carbon copy cloner image but save to image instead of to partition that will allow you to restore the software etc.

To restore files or an entire filesystem from a disk image, simply select "Restore from disk image" from the Source Disk popup menu and locate your backup disk image. CCC will mount the disk image and you may then proceed with the restore procedure using either the "Incremental backup of selected items" (http://www.bombich.com/software/docs/CCCHelp/CCCHelp.html?page=backup&anchor=backup.html_restore) or "Backup everything" (http://www.bombich.com/software/docs/CCCHelp/CCCHelp.html?page=clone&anchor=clone.html_restore) cloning method. If you want to restore your disk image to your boot volume, or if you need to restore a disk image and you do not have a bootable volume available, you can boot from your Mac OS X Installer DVD and use Disk Utility to restore the disk image:

Reboot your computer from the Mac OS X Installer DVD
After the Installer application loads, choose "Disk Utility" from the Utilities menu
From the File menu, choose "Open Disk Image..." and locate the disk image that you would like to restore
In the list in the pane on the left, click on the mounted disk image's volume
Click on the "Restore" tab on the right side of the window
Drag the mounted disk image to the Source field
Drag the hard drive that you would like to restore to into the "Destination" field
Check the box to erase the destination, then click on the Restore button.

Note backup the stuff you put on the machine first.

This can be done to any drive

After choosing a source volume from the Source Disk popup menu, choose "New disk image..." from the Target Disk popup menu. Provide a name and choose a location to save your disk image. If you plan to back up to this disk image again in the future, select the option to "Create a read/write sparse disk image". If you want a read-only disk image for archival purposes, choose the option to "Create a read-only disk image". Note that if you schedule a task in which you create a new image, CCC will recreate the image every time the task runs. See the Backing up to an existing (read/write) disk image (http://www.bombich.com/software/docs/CCCHelp/CCCHelp.html?page=dimages#backup_to_existing_dmg) section below for a more appropriate choice for scheduling backups to a disk image.
Read/write "sparse" disk images
A sparse disk image is a type of read/write disk image that grows as you copy files to it. In general, sparse disk images only consume as much space as the files they contain consume on disk, making this an ideal format for storing backups.
Read-only disk images
When creating a read-only disk image, you have two additional options. If your target disk is short on space, you can compress the disk image. Compression rates vary on the content of your source, but you can typically expect to reduce the size of your disk image by about half when using compression. There is a subtle behavior that you should take note of when considering this option as a space-saving measure: When using the "Incremental backup of selected items" cloning method, CCC will first create a read/write disk image, copy the selected items to it, then convert the disk image to read-only compressed. In this case, you will actually need twice the space on your target as the items to be copied consume on the source. When using the "Backup everything" cloning method, this limitation does not apply, CCC will create a read-only compressed disk image in one step.
The second option allows you to segment the disk image. This option is ideal if, for example, you intend to burn the segments to optical media.* Like with the compression option, CCC will also create a temporary read-write disk image -- not segmented -- when using the "Incremental backup of selected items" cloning method.
* To mount a segmented disk image, all segments must be present on the same media. Burning disk image segments to optical media is a great archival practice, just keep in mind that should you ever need to restore from that backup, you will first need to copy all segments onto a volume with adequate capacity.
Encrypting disk images
If any of the data that you are backing up is sensitive, and if your backup device may be in an insecure location, it is a good idea to enable encryption when backing up to a disk image. CCC uses 128 bit AES encryption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard) to encrypt disk images. Note: CCC does not currently support encryption during scheduled tasks.

To do ths you will have to mount the drive select it as the destination then wait it may take a couple of hours to backup.

xtreme2k
12th January 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks Jaime

Sounds like that might work. I guess the only option maybe is to clone the entire disk. :)

glacierdave
13th January 2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks Jaime

Sounds like that might work. I guess the only option maybe is to clone the entire disk. :)

If you want to back up settings, software, data, etc (as per your original question) then cloning the entire disk is your best option really. Anything less than that and you'll run a risk of missing something you wanted backed up.

If you use TimeMachine you'll get what amounts to a clone of the disk also but with the added benefit of capturing changes over time.

xtreme2k
13th January 2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks.

I think I might just go the basic of installing the newly purchased ssd with a base OS and install the rest of the software when I come back to Aust. Otherwise its just too much hassle I guess. :)

I was hoping that there was a simple way to back all these up including the installed software but its seems to be much more complex than I first thought.

stewiesno1
14th January 2010, 08:33 AM
Why don't you get something like this...
USB to SATA or IDE Devices Adapter with Power Supply - eBay Other AC Adaptors, AC Adaptors, Laptop Accessories, Computers. (end time 24-Dec-09 12:06:22 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-to-SATA-or-IDE-Devices-Adapter-with-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ300379631195QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Laptop_Accessories?hash=item45f0056e5b)
and then plug your SSD and this device into your MacBook and just clone your entire hard drive via CCC.
No discs , CDs, DVDs, disk images or anything else necessary.

Stewie

lenman74
14th January 2010, 01:55 PM
Jaime,

If you do use carbon copy using superduper or the like, will reinstalling the image on a machine with slightly different hardware (even a different type of disc like a SSD) screw with the running of the new hardware using the old OS?

I have some superduper disc images (clones) and was wondering whether I could use them to transfer to a different machine entirely?