PDA

View Full Version : files from Powerbook to iMac?

iPath
9th January 2010, 07:42 AM
Hello Mactalkers,

I purchased a new iMac yesterday and of course the fun begins of sucking everything from the old machine onto the new one.

When i first fired up the mac it offered to bring things over with migration assistant but it wouldn't work when it said to put the disk that came with the new machine into the old one and install a file (which i couldnt find).

So i just thought i'd do it the old fashioned way and do it via ethernet and just poke around the old machine by sharing through the new one.

BUT i cant figure out an easy way to "drag and drop" my iPhoto library onto the new machine so that all events etc remain as they were. I also wonder how to go about bringing across all apps for the iphone into itunes? They are all appearing under music->itunes->media but only 4 of the 29 appear under applications in itunes. I also had a playlist of music on my old machine which was songs to sync to my phone and im wondering if there is a way to once again just drag it from the old machine and onto the new one?

However, my biggest dilemma is that i have photoshop on my old machine, i attempted to just drag it onto the new machine but when i went to open it up i get an error saying that a required file couldnt load so i had to reinstall it. The photoshop i have it 7 years old and the discs have been stolen by a past aquantance so i am starting to get a little edgy about this expensive program not being transferable onto my new machine.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

iPath
9th January 2010, 08:01 AM
Also,
is there a way to transfer widgets over?

nibbles
9th January 2010, 08:31 AM
Widgets are easy, go to your home folder on the old machine then go library then widgets and they are all there then drag them oer to the new machine and double click each one to install them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

nibbles
9th January 2010, 08:33 AM
Forgot to add your iPhoto library is in pictures, drag that to pictures on the iMac then hold option while opening iPhoto an then choose library and choose that one, now every time you open iPhoto it will open that one and do the same with iTunes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

iPath
9th January 2010, 11:22 AM
Thatnk you very much mate. iTunes i did in iTunes so that was easy but il have a go at the others today