PDA

View Full Version : Finding redundant Windows files after shift

yerg
9th January 2010, 06:46 AM
Am in the process of migrating from Win and have a couple of queries

I have discovered lots of redundant Win files (.dat, .ini, ~filename)
If I do a search for any of this the outcome us not usable.
What's the best search terminology to use?

When moving files across I'm getting a message saying that some files could not be copied. What files and why I have no idea. Is there anyway of discovering what is the issue?

glacierdave
9th January 2010, 10:40 AM
Migrating from Windows to Mac by copying your whole Windows install is going to use up needless hard drive space on stuff that won't really help you.

You'd be better off just grabbing your data and copying that instead - documents, photos, things like that are fairly simple to find. Favourites, email, address book and the like can be a little more difficult but not particularly so.

Unless you're going to move your entire Windows into a Parallels (or BootCamp, or VMWare) virtual machine, the rest of the Windows files aren't going to be of any real use to you. If you ARE moving to some kind of virtual machine, you're best move is to use a tool to do the Physical to Virtual transition for you - this will take care of getting all the Windows stuff going under a VM.

yerg
9th January 2010, 05:28 PM
That's what I copied just my data and amongst that is a load of Windows files as I outlined that I should have deleted before I moved them. But I didn't :crazy1:

Searching for *.dat doesn't get me anything so what's the way to day so

The second issue is finding the reason for the copy/paste error and if possible what files aren't being copied.

glacierdave
9th January 2010, 07:03 PM
Normally, the standard Windows data folders (e.g. My Documents, My Music, Pictures, etc) don't contain much in the way of locked files that won't copy unless they're corrupted (or there's a problem with the hard drive).

.ini files are configuration files, including some meta data about the directories they live in. It's not all that common to have more than 1 or 2 in most data folders (but common to have many more in directories that contain programs, installers or Windows system files).

~filename are usually temporary files that applications (or Windows) cleans up automatically and only really get left behind if Windows crashes unexpectedly and doesn't have a chance to do a proper cleanup.

What version of Windows are you using?

How are you migrating the data? i.e. what process are you using?

yerg
10th January 2010, 07:00 AM
I'm migrating from Windows XP and it is completed.

I am aware of all that you say as to the why's and wherefores of the origination of these files and so regardless of this I still have them on my Mac.

I copied and pasted the data from the old system via a network connection.

What's frustrating me is I'd like to do a search for the various files and remove them.

I've done so and removed many but keep finding them.

Wildcards appear not to be working or may be I'm using them incorrectly:)

milliedog
10th January 2010, 08:17 AM
You can open a search with command-f (find).

For example:

Search > (Your home folder)
Name > ends with > .ini

Do that instead of a wildcard search.

yerg
11th January 2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks milleidog have now done that but what is strange is that I've removed about 1,000 ~filename.filetype files by searching for ~ and yet I'm still coming across more of those files as I'm working today.

It's like the system is only finding some of them for some reason.