PDA

View Full Version : Stuck SIM tray - what shoud I do??

trancelator
7th January 2010, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone.

First off, I know as a near-blind person I really should not have tried inserting my SIM card into my new iPhone unassisted, but in my ultimate wisdom I went and did it anyway. While trying to figure out which direction the SIM tray needs to be inserted, I somehow managed to insert it so it became completely jammed within the phone.

Again, I should not have done this, but I tried to fix it myself using a couple of sewing needles (one bent at its tip, the other straight). I suspect that I might well have inserted the needle way too far, although I won't know the extent of any internal damage until I can insert a SIM card. The SIM tray, by the way, is now snapped, with a fragment now left within the phone.

After much reading, I have no idea what to do next. Either way, it looks as though I am either up for a hefty out of warranty fee (as this seems to come under accidental damage) or insurance excess. Is there anyone who is truly a full bottle on this sort of damage who can advise me as to my next course of action?

Sadly, I live in the country town with skyscrapers that is Perth and there is no Apple store here (yet). If I do take it to a repairer, what sort of cost am I looking at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

hewball
7th January 2010, 12:43 PM
new sim tray's can be ordered from ebay, and to get the plastic broken bit out it just requires pulling the front screen off, and just hope you didnt damage the sim connection tabs

Cheers Hewball

battye
7th January 2010, 03:59 PM
Maybe it is worth taking it into a mobile phone store (Optus World, Vodafone, etc) and asking if they can help? Maybe they will know how to do it, and if it is easy they might even do it for free.

hangdog
7th January 2010, 04:07 PM
Here's (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/70219-doh-stealthsim-stuck-phone.html) how I got mine out. It may or may not work with what you've done, but the starting point is the same: as hewball says, get the front off first. Use a suction cup, not a pry tool.

forno
11th January 2010, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone.

First off, I know as a near-blind person
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Take it a an apple store to the genius bar:rolleyes: