PDA

View Full Version : Character Counter

ausdan
6th January 2010, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone,

One thing which really frustrates me about the iPhone is that the Messenger app does not contain a character counter. I constantly exceed the 165 character limit and therefore get charged for two SMSes. Is there an app for the iPhone which will allow me to compose a message (and keep track of the number of characters used) and then transfer this message to the Messenger app for sending?

TIA,
ausdan

Lutze
6th January 2010, 03:46 PM
If there isn't... sue Apple, as there obviously isn't an App for everything! ;)

If there isn't... I can see a market for one...

If there is... let me know!

(Sorry... I know this isn't helpful - but it's a bump, right?)

kyte
6th January 2010, 04:37 PM
If there isn't... sue Apple, as there obviously isn't an App for everything! ;)

If there isn't... I can see a market for one...

If there is... let me know!

(Sorry... I know this isn't helpful - but it's a bump, right?)

lol

another unhelpful post from me: there used to be a decent sms app or two for the first iphone which did character counting but they have gone byebye I think. I also get frustrated by not paying attention and often send two messages (the second one might only be a few characters, its a pest) and I don't know why appl wont fix this glaring oversight.

bennyling
6th January 2010, 05:43 PM
Pastebot | Tapbots (http://tapbots.com/pastebot/)

Has character counter.
Has word counter.
Has sexy UI.

a1ring23
7th January 2010, 03:45 AM
Get SMSHelper? But it's only available via Jb-ing, I think.

ausdan
7th January 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestion re PasteBot. I'm loving it. It also gives me the ability to type an SMS on my computer, then transfer it to my iPhone for sending in the Messenger app.

Now ... if onlt apple would open up Bluetooth a little more so that I can send SMSes directly from my computer via my iPhone ala the functions available to other phones via BluePhone Elite.

kyte
7th January 2010, 03:24 PM
Purchased! Perfect, and much more useful than *just* a counter. yum.

Lutze
10th January 2010, 03:25 AM
Of course if you are as tight as a ducks bum, like me, you could just use a Twitter client on your phone as it has a counter. Sure, it's 140 instead of 160, but it's a quick and simple task to count the last 20.

The_Hawk
10th January 2010, 06:55 AM
Now ... if onlt apple would open up Bluetooth a little more so that I can send SMSes directly from my computer via my iPhone ala the functions available to other phones via BluePhone Elite.

If only. Something I really miss from my old Windows Mobile smartphones. The ability to read and reply to SMS's from a real keyboard at your desk without having to pull the phone out of the dock was wonderful.

avolve
17th January 2010, 09:19 AM
Just wondering what app people are using on the mac to write text messages before syncing *anything lightweight with a simple and nice GUI?

ausdan
17th January 2010, 11:22 PM
Just wondering what app people are using on the mac to write text messages before syncing *anything lightweight with a simple and nice GUI?

I'm now using PasteBot. Works great. Also found lots of other uses for it.

bennyling
18th January 2010, 06:27 AM

Check out SimpleNote for iPhone - there are a couple of Mac syncing options as well.

Simplenote - Fast, clean, synchronized notes for iPhone and iPod touch. Now free! - Home (http://simplenoteapp.com/)

It's free, but you see ads :(

brawlster
18th January 2010, 06:57 AM
If only. Something I really miss from my old Windows Mobile smartphones. The ability to read and reply to SMS's from a real keyboard at your desk without having to pull the phone out of the dock was wonderful.

I remember doing this with mac's and a sony ericsson T68i years ago. (like 2003 ?) You activated a bluetooth button within the contacts app and off you went. I nearly cried when they deactivated it. Never understood why you would de-feature something !?!

jb