PDA

View Full Version : USA old iPhone and Optus 3G SIM

Shuzzi
6th January 2010, 08:45 AM
Firstly, my apologies as I am new to the iPhone and do not have much understanding of telco's.

A friend gave me an old iPhone that was originally purchased in the USA just before they were released in AUS.

It has been jail-broken and works fine as an iTouch (can register oniTunes/wifi works) but the device complains about the SIM. I have an Optus 3G SIM which I use in a Motorola phone and can browse/get email etc.

A colleague who has an Optus iPhone tried his SIM in my iPhone and same error message.

I am getting advice that my iPhone will only accept a 2G SIM (as the original iPhones only used 2G). Does this advice make sense? If so, does this mean I simply have to go to an Optus shop and ask them to change over my 3G SIM to a 2G SIM?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wally
6th January 2010, 08:54 AM
What error are you talking about?

Shuzzi
6th January 2010, 09:02 AM
When I put in the SIM, in the top left the message No Service appears.

Wally
6th January 2010, 10:22 AM
Its not unlocked, not 100% sure how to unlock it from US Networks via jailbreak

Shuzzi
6th January 2010, 10:39 AM
I was thinking the same thing.........the original owner had it jail-broken and he was working fine with it (we are pretty sure he had a Telstra SIM). I need a telco savvy guy who just doesn't want to sell me something.

~Coxy
6th January 2010, 10:57 AM
On a 2G model, you need an older app to unlock it. It's a little more complicated than the new models but there's a reasonably good article here:

iPhoneFreakz _ All The Latest And Greatest iPhone News Upgrade or downgrade your bootloader with BootNeuter (http://iphonefreakz.com/2008/04/12/upgrade-or-downgrade-your-bootloader-with-bootneuter/)

leon
6th January 2010, 12:24 PM
Go here Dev-Team Blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/) and get the pwnage tool.

Follow the instructions and unlock your iPhone. Just did the same thing very recently to get OS3.1.2 on my iPhone 2G. FWIW I have a Telstra 3G SIM in my iPhone and it works perfectly well.

fan
6th January 2010, 01:25 PM
3G introduce new sim card since it got more 3G related features.. I suggest you get a old GSM sim and try it.

Just ask GSM sim rather than 3G sim which is slightly bigger and called USIM

Shuzzi
7th January 2010, 03:03 PM
To Leon and Coxy - thanks for your links. My mate (a very cluey Jim's Computer guy and the friend that gave me the iPhone) used your information to turn my iPhone into a working iPhone - he was very excited. I asked him to note down what he did so I could share the info. He may or may not depending if he has time.

He did say the majority of the info came from the two links.
But thanks again both of you.