PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook Pro



Dutch H
5th January 2010, 02:57 PM
Hey Fellas,

Long time no post for me. Hope everyone is well.

I am in the market for a new Macbook Pro after my G4 Mac Mini recently died. I checked the Mac Buyers Guide and they recommended that I wait as a new update should be around the corner. Has anyone heard anything about an update? If so is it far away.

I would hope that it would not be far away as I am currently using my old Celeron IBM Thinkpad with XP (Ah the pain).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

May your god go with you!

Meh 626
5th January 2010, 03:42 PM
New MBP's are expected at the end of January. The new models are likely to sport Intel's new mobile chipset, Arrandale. Arrandale's features include 32nm technology, 2 cores - 4 threads, intergrated GPU on the north bridge, hyperthreading and turbo boost. Early benchmarks boast a 20% speed increase over C2D. Arrandale chips are named i3, i5 and i7.

Arrandale will be released at CES on the 7th (8th here in Aus) and Apple most likely announce the new models at their media event on the 27th.

Hope this helps,

Dutch H
5th January 2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks Meh. That reply was definitely not Meh. haha. Very informative.

Well if speculation is the end of Jan I will hold out. I can put up with my Thinkpad R40e for a little longer. I sure do not miss Winblows though.

Cheers

Brains
5th January 2010, 05:55 PM
Survey said: BA-BOW!! (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Doesn-t-Want-Arrandale-s-Integrated-Graphics-129007.shtml) -- Apple won't use the Calpella and the Arrandale in its MacBooks.

Industry news, Dec 7 2009: Apple refuses to use Arrandale or Calpella chips in product line-up. "Apple reportedly has no intention of switching to a new Mac design based on integrated graphics, and will only agree to use the new technology from Intel if the latter comes up with a Calpella setup free of integrated graphics circuits."

Dutch H
5th January 2010, 06:29 PM
All that mumbo jumbo don't bother me. As long as the bloody thing boots up allows me to go on the net and is speedy enough for me. Missus has the White Macbook 2008 and that is more then enough for me. Was going to get the Macbook but I want at least a 15 inch screen.

Remember the more inches the better.

jok3r
5th January 2010, 06:57 PM
Im currently in the same situation, but have decided to wait if apple does actually upgrade its MacBook Pro Line.

I would hate to buy one and it being outdated in a few weeks.

Dutch H
5th January 2010, 07:39 PM
Very true jok3r. I have fallen prey to that in the past. Purchased a Mac and within a month the new model came out. Admittedly it is my fault as I didn't research it but it stills stings.

jok3r
5th January 2010, 08:22 PM
This time around the wait aint that long, well if any announcement is to be made it will be made on the 27th!!!!!
iTablet
iPhone 4.0
Wooo!! :)

dekco
5th January 2010, 08:28 PM
That feeling sucks when you buy something only to have it updated and usually a price drop.

lostiee
5th January 2010, 11:56 PM
Do you think that there will be a price drop in MBP's in Feb? I'd like to get a MBP and it wouldnt bother me if im one version behind if it means that its cheaper :) (knowing me, i wouldnt even notice the difference in the new/old versions)

Should i wait then? I was going to buy the laptop this week!

iCarllovesapple
6th January 2010, 12:05 AM
I highly highly recommend Apple refurb's!
I just bought a refurb Mac Pro and it is amazing!

Meh 626
6th January 2010, 08:05 AM
Do you think that there will be a price drop in MBP's in Feb? I'd like to get a MBP and it wouldnt bother me if im one version behind if it means that its cheaper :) (knowing me, i wouldnt even notice the difference in the new/old versions)

Should i wait then? I was going to buy the laptop this week!

I can't say for sure if there will be a price drop of the new MBP's. Usally when a new model comes out it will either stay at the same price or it will drop.

If you really need the computer now, buy it.

jok3r
6th January 2010, 11:24 AM
Noone can grantee it but Apple..
but, were just going via past trends
Apple has released newer models with price drops in the past.

I would def wait for the announcement on the 27th, because the update looks major (cpu update)

Dutch H
6th January 2010, 05:57 PM
I'll be waiting till at least Feb. The range is due for an update either major or minor which doesn't matter. I can't stand however buying a product then a month later it is updated. 6 months is acceptable for me.

tombade
15th January 2010, 12:15 PM
With Aussie dollar going strong I think I price drop could be likely fingers crossed I want a one!

jok3r
15th January 2010, 07:16 PM
Good things come to those who wait.
Intel Accidentally Leaks New MacBook Pro (http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/01/intel-accidentally-leaks-new-macbook-pro/)

Pretty Major update if true!!! im def waiting!!

mikmac
15th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone.
I have had a macbook for 2 years and decided to upgrade to a Macbook Pro 17 inch with the government rebate.
The first one arrived and was DOA so they sent a courier to collect it and then dispatched a new one.
That arrived and there was a pixel fault on the screen so, the sent another courier and collected that one and later dispatched me my third NEW macbook pro.
I did take out the apple care package with the first one. After some 3 hours on the phone i had them change it to the second Macbook Pro they sent.
When that was returned i got the third one and then requested the Apple care be transferred to the Mac i now have.
After 4 days, they tell me it could take another 3 days to transfer the Apple Care.
Has anyone else had this kind of bad luck with a new Macbook Pro?

Mick

Geoff3DMN
15th January 2010, 08:21 PM
With Aussie dollar going strong I think I price drop could be likely fingers crossed I want a one!

The aussie dollar has been very strong but is trending downwards, I'd expect prices to edge upwards if anything.

Swathe
16th January 2010, 08:30 AM
Dutch H i have sent you a PM. Considering selling the 13.3" MBP I bought 16th december 09.

maghemi
16th January 2010, 07:04 PM
Gee. I'm glad I read this thread. I was nearly going to buy a new macbook pro today. I didn't realise they were so close to an update.

I think I'll wait for a little bit. Not necessarily to buy the new one, but to get something cheaper on sale somewhere.

Swathe
17th January 2010, 08:21 AM
maghemi PM coming your way.

Dutch H
24th January 2010, 12:21 PM
Well I can't wait for the new update to the MBP line. My Celeron Thinkpad is driving me insane. 256mb with XP. Haha. I can only have one application open at a time.

Waiting with excitement.

Ecto1
24th January 2010, 06:36 PM
I two am in the market for a MBP. I'll be watching this event with great interest.

henhen
25th January 2010, 02:39 AM
Out of curiosity, whats the chance of this new mbp will be announced in the event? I'm really doubt it will be announce in the event. the new tablet will be all over it I reckon..

Ecto1
27th January 2010, 09:03 AM
Out of curiosity, whats the chance of this new mbp will be announced in the event? I'm really doubt it will be announce in the event. the new tablet will be all over it I reckon..

The last MBP refresh was at WWDC last year. So it's a far bet that they will be updated soon. Maybe tomorrow morning or maybe at WWDC this year. We will not know till tomorrow morning. But if you look at how Apple refreshed the MBP line at last years WWDC then it could be anyone's guess.

Meh 626
27th January 2010, 09:23 AM
The MacBook Pro is on a February - August refresh cycle. It will either be announced tomorrow or in early Feb.

blue-bear
28th January 2010, 07:06 AM
since there was no macbook pro refresh annoucement last night.. would it be wise to go out and buy a macbook pro today?

bljpoad
28th January 2010, 07:11 AM
Personally, I am holding off for another week or so, but I am in no desperate hurry to get a MBP (next two months is my purchase timeframe). If you really need one I doubt the next upgrade would be much more than a speed bump.
- Berwyck

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 07:20 AM
Now the waiting game begins again. The update will most likely occur on a Tuesday (US time) in February and hopefully sooner than later. I doubt will see much rumours referring to the MBP refresh as the iPad will take most of the media spotlight for a while.

blue-bear: If you don't need it right now, I would suggest waiting. Arranadale will provide a 20% performance increase over the current MBP's for the same battery life.

AfterBurner_1
28th January 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm in the market but they can keep it for $4k
I'd rather go refurbished and spend $2800. then upgrade things as necessary(ie HDD RAM).

db9
29th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Uni starts in march; I'm hoping the new macbook pro will be available by then :S Fingers crossed.

blue-bear
29th January 2010, 09:54 PM
blue-bear: If you don't need it right now, I would suggest waiting. Arranadale will provide a 20% performance increase over the current MBP's for the same battery life.

i'm holding off until just before the uni offer ends, hopefully it comes out in feb!

blue-bear
30th January 2010, 08:48 AM
whats everyones thought on the updates being the arranadale processor on the 13" but coming with intel graphics instead?

MetalPhreak
30th January 2010, 10:09 AM
I think Apple is pretty keen on sticking with nvidia graphics. Especially with their push with OpenCL in snow leopard. All of intels integrated graphics tend to be cut price "just good enough" chipsets. None of them really support HD decoding for example.

If they announce intel graphics for the new MBPs, I will be looking to buy one of the current nvidia ones ASAP instead.

Meh 626
30th January 2010, 10:32 AM
The Intel GMA HD graphics chip which is built into Arrandale is slightly better than the 9400. I believe the GMA HD will replace the 9400 and either a 200/300 series nVidia chipset or a 5000/4000 ATi series will replace the 9600.



3DMark01 3DMark03 3DMark05 3DMark06
Nvidia 210M 17682 10333 6710 3394
Intel GMA HD 9513 4926 3429 1814
Nvidia 9400M 8703 4231 3151 1356

Dutch H
30th January 2010, 11:38 AM
Come on Apple. Please update the MBP. I know everyone is pumped about the iPad but there are still a few who are keen on the MBP.

blue-bear
30th January 2010, 11:50 AM
i for one am very keen on the mbp, however, i dont know if i can be happy with the arrandale processor + gma graphics if thats the combo that comes out for the 13" mbp :confused:

decisions.. decisions.. :mad:

MetalPhreak
30th January 2010, 02:37 PM
I couldn't care less about a tiny improvement in 3D marks. I want OpenCL support, HD h264 offloading, and intel has none of the cool stuff like CUDA. I'm sure intel is making improvements in some cases, like recent chipsets have had HD decoding, but its still far behind anything AMD-ATi or Nvidia have come up with.

IMO, unless intel brings something significant to the game, it will be a step back. Ofcourse, apple can include a discrete graphics core, but that won't be on the 13" Macbook, Macbook Pro, and possibly the base 15" (how it is now).

They will certainly lose me as a buyer looking to enter the mac market. OpenCL is one of the main reason's i'm planning on buying a MBP.

Apple to Skip Intel Arrandale? Demands Alternative Chip? - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/07/apple-to-skip-intel-arrandale-demands-alternative-chip/)

Apple Doesn't Want Arrandale's Integrated Graphics - Apple won't use the Calpella and the Arrandale in its MacBooks - Softpedia (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Doesn-t-Want-Arrandale-s-Integrated-Graphics-129007.shtml)

GeoffComma
30th January 2010, 03:14 PM
Hopefully getting one for my Birthday... So I have a month for the revisions...

Additionally, anyone play Heroes of Newerth on Entry Macbook Pros?

FergusB
30th January 2010, 03:18 PM
Im hanging out for the revisions aswell. I know its been about 36 days longer than average since the last refresh, but in this kind of situation, how far over the average would we expect to be waiting?

Meh 626
30th January 2010, 03:51 PM
I couldn't care less about a tiny improvement in 3D marks. I want OpenCL support, HD h264 offloading, and intel has none of the cool stuff like CUDA. OpenCL is one of the main reason's i'm planning on buying a MBP.

Apple write the drivers for OpenCL. If Apple does use Arrandale's GPU, they will write OpenCL drivers for it.

MetalPhreak
30th January 2010, 04:34 PM
OpenCL support on GPGPUs depends more on just the drivers. It has to be implemented in hardware. You won't find OpenCL on pre-4xxx ATi cards because the older cards weren't designed for it. Same for pre-8xxx nvidia chipsets.

The facts are, intel has never made a graphics chip, integrated or otherwise, that did anything more than the basic necessities. Unless they've happened to somehow trounce nvidia/ati's years of experience, and come up with a kick arse new chipset, moving from the 9400m will be a step back.

OpenCL for NVIDIA (http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_opencl.html)
OpenCL runs on CUDA enabled graphics cores.

OpenCL: The Open Standard for Parallel Programming of GPUs and Multi-core CPUs (http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/opencl.html)
OpenCL runs on AMDs Stream Computing framework.

Nothing much on intel's website about it for GPUs...

blue-bear
6th February 2010, 03:31 PM
came across this, is this for real?

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/210968

i mean i guess theres some hope in it, as if its fake whoever done the test must've tried really hard to spoof the cpuid etc.

DVD Plaza
6th February 2010, 06:37 PM
The verdict on MacRumours is that it's the real deal...
New MacBook Pro 6,1 on Geekbench!! - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860697)

Meh 626
9th February 2010, 08:34 PM
Rumours are flooding in, pointing to an update tonight. I do hope so, can't wait much longer.

Rumor: MacBook Pro refresh imminent, SKUs dropped from Best Buy systems (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/08/rumor-macbook-pro-refresh-imminent-skus-dropped-from-best-buy/)

Macworld Expo Rumor: New MacBook Pros to be revealed tomorrow? | 9 to 5 Mac (http://9to5mac.com/new_macbook_pros_loom_4563337)

gareth
9th February 2010, 09:36 PM
apple store is down. :)

Vipster
9th February 2010, 09:42 PM
apple store is down. :)

DAMN! beat me too it!

bring on the MAC PRO!

FergusB
9th February 2010, 10:13 PM
Fingies crossed!

MetalPhreak
10th February 2010, 01:10 AM
Yeaaaaaaah Aperture 3 :p

Hopefully more to come.

Vman83
10th February 2010, 01:22 AM
No thats it

dholms
13th February 2010, 10:16 AM
Umm.. Just having a coffee watching tv and a Harvey Norman commercial comes on with a great deal on the MacBook pro i7. It showed a picture of the MacBook with i7 on the side if it. On channel one... Strange

Dutch H
13th February 2010, 03:54 PM
Come on Apple. Do you like being a dominatrix? Do you like making me weep and cry? "IT RUBS THE LOTION ON IT'S SKIN!"

Release the new Macbook Pro please!!!!!

Meh 626
13th February 2010, 05:12 PM
In 2008 the Penryn MBP's where released two weeks after Aperture 2 was.

Aperture 3 was released on 9/02/10... Arrandale MBP's are looking good for the 23rd. Just wish it was sooner.

eddieaus
14th February 2010, 02:42 AM
end of month release makes sense, one week public holiday in china just started yesterday, no manufactures operate during this time.

AnthoMac
15th February 2010, 08:21 AM
Posted on Macrumors' " The unofficial "I'm Waiting for Arrandale" thread... Still"...


http://wearefuntastic.net/imageserver/_yessasna/img/evolutionsteveeejobs.jpg

Meh 626
15th February 2010, 08:35 AM
Posted on Macrumors' " The unofficial "I'm Waiting for Arrandale" thread... Still"...

I find myself reading that thread everyday, sadly it's full of uneducated guesses and kids who can't spell.

AnthoMac
15th February 2010, 08:37 AM
You shouldn't read it- it's full of whining. Good thing MacTalk will never succumb to some of MacRumors' threads! Yes, I'm still waiting, but waiting patiently for Steve's perfect timing.

Sebastianmonty
15th February 2010, 09:45 AM
came across this, is this for real?

MacBookPro6,1 : Geekbench Result Browser (http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/210968)

i mean i guess theres some hope in it, as if its fake whoever done the test must've tried really hard to spoof the cpuid etc.

I would prefer a quad core chip myself. The score is good but compared to the level of CPU increase on the C2D iMacs to the i5 and i7 I say not enough.
The other thing is:
1. Will it be released and then shipped in 2 months?
2. Will there be crazy delays like the iMac had?
3. Will the i7 processors be grossly under-tested again and we will have to return the machine a few times.

I hope not but they are all likely.