PDA

View Full Version : Will I Lose Everything?

ArtVandalay
1st January 2010, 11:15 AM
OK so I updated my Powerbook OS a little while back and haven't resynched my iPhone since. Now in the mean time I have accumulated some more contacts and a buttload of SMS that I don't want to lose. I realise that synching it will modify the music/video/whatever content, but will I lose the contacts and SMS?

zeddie2001
1st January 2010, 02:26 PM
Syncing with iTunes will not affect your SMSs, and your contacts may be synced if you've enabled this in the information tab of the iPhone page in iTunes, but it won't delete anything - they'll just get copied to the computer.

ArtVandalay
1st January 2010, 02:37 PM
The contacts are generally updated on the computer with whatever is on the phone yeah?

fother
1st January 2010, 02:43 PM
yeah. if you have contact syncing turned on

rustyshelf
1st January 2010, 02:44 PM
You can also right-click on your iPhone in iTunes and choose the back up option, that's if all you want to do is a back up. This doesn't do a sync, but it will copy all your sms's, apps and I think contacts too :)

led-zep
1st January 2010, 02:53 PM
this is probably been answered, but what if i had a mac/pc that i originally synced my iPhone with, and then it died/got a new one and synced it to the new computer? itunes will re-sync and it will delete everything off that iPhone so it sets it up as a brand new device?

ArtVandalay
1st January 2010, 11:21 PM
It gives you a warning that it is synched with another library and lets you choose whether to erase and start over or ignore. I set it to not auto-sync first though.

The only problem is it won't update music or videos or whatever unless you tell it to. And if you do, it will replace what's on the phone with what's on the computer.