PDA

View Full Version : Finder.app can't be opened

profitclinic
1st January 2010, 09:32 AM
I'm running Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.2 on a fairly new iMac 24 inch.

The finder began spinning its wheels, so I rebooted rather than force quit. Now the finder can't be opened.

I've tried a restart (hold down C key) using the Snow Leopard DVD, but it ignores it and restarts with no finder.

Any suggestions?

ClockWork
1st January 2010, 09:39 AM
What have you got connected to it - by brand name?
Any Drobo External Drives?

profitclinic
1st January 2010, 09:44 AM
1. 1 TB Time Capsule (Apple)

2. Epson Stylus Photo 830U printer via Swann 4-way USB port

3. Sony 1GB thumb drive

The problem started when I tried to save a file in Adobe Illustrator. @#$%^&* thing just went feral.

ClockWork
1st January 2010, 09:55 AM
It's apparently bugging many people, as noted here on MacFixIt (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10365239-263.html).

You could try removing all external devices and rebooting, or try creating a New User Account, as shown here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/67836-basic-fully-visual-tutorials-switch-user-account.html), step by step.

profitclinic
1st January 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks.

With no finder it was tricky to implement.

What I ended up doing was repairing the hard drive using the disk utility.

That seems to have fixed things — there were several problems needing repair.

Thanks for your help.

CameronB
28th January 2010, 03:12 PM
I appreciate you posting your solution, just had this problem on my Snow Leopard machine with many externals connected. Thanks for saving me time!

designFreak
22nd September 2010, 02:53 AM
I have been working in a design and print department for 4 years, always on apple computers. Occasionally I get permission issues but nothing like what I'm getting now after switching to a new computer with OSX 10.6.4 installled. Whenever I try to move and delete files on our server now I get: spinning wheels, error -10810s, and permission issues all over the place. And that's the second 10.6.4 computer I've got that I've noticed those problems on.

I installed Pathfinder today, so far, works like a bloody dream.

Apple, if a third-party can built a more stable file-system than you, then I've got this to say to you - You Blew It!!

psychedelicreflection
21st January 2011, 06:15 PM
i was connected to my imac from my macbkpro and finder wouldnt open!

i did repairdiskpermisions and before that got to end i restart the imac and the mbpro finder went back to life !

so i gues was a matter of having connected 2 macs and something got stack!

sirstaunch
22nd January 2011, 11:38 PM
Someone on another forum having crashing problems from 10.63 to 10.66 and pet reverting back to 10.62 each time thinks he's resolved the problem. Hope it helps you guys too…

The recent 10.6.6 update brought back the random crashes and I decided enough was enough and it was time to go back to 10.6.2, *however 10.6.6 when it crashed seem to always mess up the video which gave me an idea it might be video related. I've been searching this fault for months now and never found any thing of help.

However if 10.6.2 was ok maybe the video drivers from that release might fix the random crashes. * I googled and found others who had had the same idea. *One guy on the Apple forums had even specified the 3 files you needed from the 10.6.2 installation.

ATI2600Controller.kext
ATIFramebuffer.kext
ATIsupport.kext

as mine was a slightly older iMac with an ATI Radeon HD2400 *I grabbed the ATI2400Controller.kext instead.

These files can be found in /System/Library/Extensions

To get the files from 10.6.2 I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.0 to a spare HDD so I didn't mess up my existing 10.6.6 install. Once installed I booted from it and then updated to 10.6.2 combo update. *Then I grabbed the three files and copied them over to my desktop on the 10.6.6 install.

I also downloaded an app called "Kext Helper Tool" from http://cheetha.net/ *which is used to install the drivers
After running "kext helper tool" it was just a matter of dragging in the required 3 files from the desktop, typing my password and clicking the button Easy Install followed by a Reboot.

Its been two days now and not a crash or freeze in site. * * I would normally have at least 3 freezes a night and sometimes many more.

Credit to KrzysiuTurek over on the Apple forums who pointed out the required video files and the method to install them. * His full explanation is here about 7 posts down on page 21.