PDA

View Full Version : Help - No Quicktime Sound

jasako
12th August 2005, 12:55 PM
Greetings all,
for some unknown reason I have lost my sound when playing a quicktime movie. It was working fine.

All other sounds (alerts, iTunes etc) still work.

I have moved the Quicktime preferences out of the various Library folders and rebooted to no affect. Have also repared permissions, cleared caches, optimised System (thankyou Onyx) and done a 'fsck' of the disk in Single user mode (disk was fine).

Any siggestions (short of re-installing the system software)?

Many thanks

iMac G5, OSX 10.4.2, latest Quickyime update.

purana
12th August 2005, 02:22 PM
Have you tried other clips to confirm it does it on all things played in quicktime.. I guess you have, but best to ask and confirm this.

the_OM
12th August 2005, 02:27 PM
Umm have you tried turning up the volume slider on quicktime?
I would suggest the unmute button, but as you said other sounds work, that can't be it.

But give the volume slider a crack.

symean
12th August 2005, 03:05 PM
I had this happen, I think some applications (under OS X 10.3 or 10.4) using Quicktime 6 or later can set the audio output sample rate to a setting that is too high for other applications to handle. So once this value has been changed some applications may produce sound while others don't. Usually the system sounds and iTunes will still work, as they can both handle very high sample rates.

Try opening Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder and change the Audio Output to 44100Hz. You shouldn't have to restart, just quit Audio MIDI setup.

Cheers :)

jasako
12th August 2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by symean@Aug 12 2005, 02:35 PM

Try opening Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder and change the Audio Output to 44100Hz. You shouldn't have to restart, just quit Audio MIDI setup.

That did it! Many thanks!

Moose
12th August 2005, 06:50 PM
Jasako, I had some weird shit happen recently including the loss of Quicktime sound. See Here. (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=10736&hl=)

I found that by repairing disk permissions and opening Garageband, leaving it open and then openening QT worked. A restart showed that all is well now and everything is as it should be. I seem to recall a garageband update recently, most likely related.

I know sounds stupid, I thought so too, but give it try............ :ph34r:

Let me know how you go.

I will try and find the link where I read it, if you still have no luck.

Edit: Link added

insanefireman
15th August 2005, 07:43 PM
I had this problem early on when I installed Tiger. After much research, it was acknowledged by Apple that there are some conflicts which changes the sample rate in Audio MIDI setup. There is now a support article on Apples website about this problem. There is no fix other than resetting the rate to 44100 or 4800