PDA

View Full Version : New 21.5 imac owner

thistledown
30th December 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi :)
I live about one hour from Canberra and recently my very old PC packed it in for anything very useful so I decided to try a mac-why not eh? It arrived today and I'm typing this from it (I love the keyboard and mouse BTW ;)) I've already got my mail accounts set up after a few initial hiccups and so far me and my new mac get along fine........I've also got iwork which I'm hoping to learn to navigate also. Only one problem, I did the yellow tint screen test, I have a tiny very pale patch of yellow on the bottom right of my screen probably about 2 cm long and 2.5 cm high, my mum can see it too but you can only see it using the screen test looking carefully, it's extremely small and pale but its definitely there, so really my question is what are my chances it's going to get worse? I can live with what I've got quite happily if it doesn't get worse.....I'm also happy to have it repaired at a later date when apple solve the issue, if they ever solve the issue. I'm going to buy applecare-does my standard warranty/applecare cover repairing or replacing a yellow screen? I know I can return it now and have it replaced but really it's such a small issue I'm reluctant to return it for fear of being out of a computer for my small business or even worse getting a even worse screen in the replacement. I've heard of other people having issues with the applecare people not 'seeing' the yellow screens so I'm wondering if I do take it in for a repair at a later date if I'll get a stonewall 'nothing wrong with the screen reply'. I'm just not sure.......:confused1:
Vanessa

ClockWork
30th December 2009, 04:25 PM
It cost a few thousand. It has a defect. Have it replaced.

Now.

thistledown
30th December 2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, but I've read that having it replaced doesn't really mean much, they nearly all seem to have some form of yellowing, some people are on their forth 27' imacs and every single one has had some degree of yellowing. Except the week 41s apparently which are perfect.....
Vanessa

leon
30th December 2009, 04:31 PM
If you can't see it and it doesn't bother you in day to day tasks, then I wouldn't worry about it.
You have a 12 month warranty, so if things start to get worse in the future, then take it in to get repaired.

ClockWork
30th December 2009, 04:37 PM
It's still worth purchasing APP (AppleCare Protection Plan (http://www.apple.com/au/support/products/proplan.html)), as there are so many cases where a machine totally busts just one week out of the 1 Year Warranty.

thistledown
30th December 2009, 05:48 PM
Thats what I thought-but will they repair a yellow screen defect no questions asked?
Vanessa

ClockWork
30th December 2009, 05:57 PM
Not in this age.

They'll simply replace it.

thistledown
30th December 2009, 07:09 PM
I'm definitely getting applecare, so they will replace the screen at a later date if needed?
Thanks for all the info so far :)
Vanessa

iCarllovesapple
31st December 2009, 01:14 AM
Hey Vanessa, just get it replaced. It will take around the same amount of time (if you get it replaced from a reseller) to replace it as it will to get it fixed.
I also recommend buying Apple Care from a reputable eBayer! I have bought 7 Apple Care subscriptions from eBay and they have all been fine!
Carl

leon
31st December 2009, 03:05 PM
If you search Google you will find that all of the iMac screens have the yellowing. Sending it back and getting it replaced won't solve anything as they all exhibit the same phenotype.

I think I was reading on Results for 'imac yellow' | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/?s=imac+yellow) about this issue.

DeKa
1st January 2010, 09:40 AM
I'm definitely getting applecare, so they will replace the screen at a later date if needed?

As Clockwork said, it's unlikely they'll replace the screen. They'll more likely replace the entire machine.

Mychael
1st January 2010, 10:39 AM
As Clockwork said, it's unlikely they'll replace the screen. They'll more likely replace the entire machine.

So what's the general consensus about buying a new imac as things stand at the moment? If your machine has a problem, Apple replaces it, that's fine if a pita but what then if your next and maybe if next replacement is also bad?

Do we have to wait till they work through their entire batch of dodgy screens before better units appear on the shelves?

Should potential buyers hold off for another few months to see what eventuates?

ClockWork
1st January 2010, 11:23 AM
It'll make no difference.
The moment a delicate electronic instrument goes into mass production - that is: assembled by human hands on a conveyor belt, the more chances there are of defective elements.

Dux
1st January 2010, 11:31 AM
The moment a delicate electronic instrument goes into mass production - that is: assembled by human hands on a conveyor belt, the more chances there are of defective elements.

+ 1

I've seen pre-production prototype products which feel great and solid, but then 6 months later I play around with the mass-produced model and I'm disappointed. There's flex, tiny gaps in joints, not-quite-solid feeling, etc.

Mychael
1st January 2010, 11:32 AM

I aknowledge your point but I do think you can get runs where things are just a 'bad batch' had it with mobile phones and pc motherboards in otherwise reliable brand names so I still wonder if holding off for a bit might be a good idea till the screen issues become clear.

Dux
1st January 2010, 11:35 AM
I aknowledge your point but I do think you can get runs where things are just a 'bad batch' had it with mobile phones and pc motherboards in otherwise reliable brand names so I still wonder if holding off for a bit might be a good idea till the screen issues become clear.

The only major screen issues I've seen with the new iMacs has predominantly been the 27" - I haven't seen many with problems on their 21.5"ers.

ClockWork
1st January 2010, 11:49 AM

Fer sure. There are DOA batches on Hard Drives and RAM and thousands of other components - yet the key word is "batch".

They won't all be screwed - unless there is an inherent flaw in the machine which a company will either admit to or deny.

Mychael
1st January 2010, 12:09 PM
The only major screen issues I've seen with the new iMacs has predominantly been the 27" - I haven't seen many with problems on their 21.5"ers.

and that's the thing 'cos when I do buy it will the 27incher.

nibbles
3rd January 2010, 08:08 PM
Before you buy applecare check the new law that has just been introduced in aus because it changes what manufacturers have to do in the case of a fault, even out of warranty for i think 3 years they are required to REPLACE it but they will try to charge you unless you mention it

lukemc
3rd January 2010, 11:04 PM
what new law is that moto? Interested to read up

nibbles
4th January 2010, 07:47 AM
Not too sure on it, I will try to find a link for you

ClockWork
4th January 2010, 09:23 AM
what new law is that moto? Interested to read up

It's Implied Warranty (http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Motor_Vehicles/Buying_and_selling/Buying_a_vehicle/Implied_warranties.html), yes?

~Coxy
4th January 2010, 10:46 AM
I thought that the implied (statuatory) warranty on anything you buy had always been around. Maybe just these days the government is looking into extended warranty 'scams' like AppleCare.

Mychael
4th January 2010, 04:29 PM
There was a brief thing in the Herald Sun Newspaper today about consumer rights.