PDA

View Full Version : Password Reset

DadsArmy
30th December 2009, 11:44 AM
G'day Guru's, I need to reset my Password to allow updates and change the time back to Qld (non Daylight saving time), I have an iBook G4 with OS 10.5.
I can't remember the one I created and the prompt doesn't (prompt) help

Cheers and Thanks

Meh 626
30th December 2009, 11:51 AM
Boot from your OS X install disc. Go to Utilities > Password Reset > Select your user account and click reset.

ClockWork
30th December 2009, 12:00 PM
Reboot your G4 off the Mac OS X Installer Disk, by inserting the disk and Restarting with just the C key on your keyboard, held down, until you see the grey Apple logo appear again.

This forces your Apple Mac to start up off the Installer, rather than its own Hard Drive.

When the Installer asks you what language you use, simply hit the return key on your keyboard to move onto the next screen.

The next screen displays the official Installer window, so utterly ignore this window and look to the very top menu items and click once on: Utilities - and scroll down to: Reset Password...

Click once on your G4 volume to highlight it, select the main User -> You, and enter a new password for this user.

Then enter this same new password in the panel beneath this, and then click once on the Save button.

(I tend to use no password at all as it slows down so many procedures, but that's just me... apparently).

Then click once on the top-left menu item: Reset Password and scroll down to: Quit Reset Password.

Next, click once on the top-left menu item: Installer and scroll down to: Quit Installer...

Then click once on the Restart button and your G4 will reboot off it's own Hard Drive as per usual. Eject the Installer when it has fully restarted.

cw

DadsArmy
4th January 2010, 10:17 AM
Guy's thanks very much for your help, unfortunately I don't have the discs so it'll have to wait for now

Cheers and Thanks

kyncaid
4th January 2010, 12:31 PM
And for thoes in this predicament who can't find a disk to boot from, you can use this method.

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD (http://hackaddict.blogspot.com/2007/07/reset-os-x-password-without-os-x-cd.html)

ClockWork
4th January 2010, 01:49 PM
Guy's thanks very much for your help, unfortunately I don't have the discs so it'll have to wait for now

Cheers and Thanks

Ahhh... so you never actually bought these Leopard Installer disks... :tongue: