PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to Defrag MacBook occassionally?

hermonaloa
29th December 2009, 11:21 PM
New to Mac and love it. I have lots of video on my machine. Should I defrag or is something that is just a Windows issue?

samuelowens
29th December 2009, 11:40 PM
No defragging or antivirus or any of that malarky required...

MacDave
30th December 2009, 01:18 AM
New to Mac and love it. I have lots of video on my machine. Should I defrag or is something that is just a Windows issue?

OS X defrags smaller files on the fly and defragging the boot volume should never be done as it can cause more problems than it solves.

However, when working with very large files as video files tend to be, it's good practice to keep them on a separate drive (or partition). This way, as time goes on and you move the files around, edit them or whatever, you don't risk slowing down your boot volume. Naturally, however you choose to do it, make sure you're fully backed up.

Welcome to Macs!

Dave

ClockWork
30th December 2009, 06:00 AM
I occasionally defrag my Apple Mac when I find it's dragging for no good reason - using iDefrag (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php) - yet I'd only do this procedure once a year and make certain before hand that there's nothing else in its background processes that is causing it to slow down for no obvious reason.