PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro superdrive problem

WindowsVista
29th December 2009, 09:04 PM
I have a few month old macbook pro that has suddenly started to be a handful. I inserted my snow leopard upgrade disc as I was reformatting the machine(im anal about boot times) and the cd went in, but just kept "beeping". I don't know how else to describe it, it was definitely coming from the superdrive though. Eventually it spat the disc out.

Now i've started to try many discs with it, and it seems to only reject two. But these ones it rejects are only occasionally rejected, some times it will boot them. Occasionally even it sounds if they spin but that they are getting scratched.

I'm considering taking it to the Apple Store, but i'm worried I won't be able to demonstrate the issue. My guess (by listening to it) is that the cd goes in and fails to spin. I don't know what would cause this, but sometimes when it does spin it makes a loud scratching noise and then spits it out.

So, is the drive faulty? Could I be doing something wrong? Anything I could try before taking it in?
Cheers.

Brains
30th December 2009, 11:07 AM
Yes, take it in, if its under warranty the technician will just sigh, take your machine and fit a replacement optical drive.

Slotload opticals are absolute crap.