PDA

View Full Version : Video Confrencing Software - Mac and Windows

decryption
24th January 2004, 07:33 PM
Well, I finally got myself a Mac. A PowerMac G5 1.6GHz with 1.25GB RAM.
One thing I need but am not sure where to look is a program that will let a friend and I use our webcams to see each other. However one uses Windows and I use Mac OS.
Does anyone know of any programs that are cross platform or that are compatible for my situation?
Can we use iChat? Does the Windows version of AOL Messenger have video capabilities?

bastion
25th January 2004, 11:15 AM
Congratulations on your first Mac :) and a respectable one at that.

As far as I know, there are two alternatives to video chatting with Mac and PC. The first option is Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM). The second option is iVisit (www.ivisit.info).

I've had pretty good experiences with YIM in general, however, the video quality and framerate was absolutely appalling. I tried video chatting on the local network and I was acheiving about 2fps (who knows why..). I also tried it with a mate of mine in Singapore and the framerate wasn't much better.

I've had pretty mixed experiences with iVisit. The software interface (iVisit software) is the worst and most clunkiest I have ever seen before. You have to see it to believe what I mean... anyway, the framerate is much better with it, compared to YIM. You get a decent 15fps.

And no - iChat video will not work with PC users, so you can rule that out of the equation.

iSight rocks.