PDA

View Full Version : Mysql

dander
12th August 2005, 03:56 AM
2005, aug, 11
Imac G5 X 10.4.2 2gb ram

I plan to install Apache, MySql, PHP, and Zend Studio on my new in June 2005 Imac. I have them running on three Dell pcs using FC3 as the OS platform, all are closed local systems. After reinstalling the Imac OS I was looking for /usr/local and stumbled across a MySql entry and did not write the location down. The best that I can remember is that it was ./something/group/Mysql or ./something/groups/mysql. I would like to also know if this entry will affect the installation and/or execution of by database system. I would like to see it and if possible delete it. What is its purpose? What does it do?

Thanks

dander

BiRDBRAiN
12th August 2005, 09:10 AM
I run Apache/MySQL on my Powerbook, but I just did a custom compiled installation.

Maybe because I'm an oldskool unix guy, but I found it easier, that also meant I didn't have to use the standard config file locations, etc.

It also means you can use the latest versions, and also because I could duplicate the directory structure on our production web server.

EDIT: Also make sure you install XCode so you have the compiler that you need

SecretWorld
22nd August 2005, 03:53 PM
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther helpfully creates a user called "mysql" and a group called "mysql" for use with MySQL. In previous versions, you had to create this user/group yourself. This is probably what you are seeing.

You can delete them if you want without harming your mysql installation, but you should set up a special user and group for mysql rather than using the root user, and since they are already set up, I would just use these. You can also access them through the System Preferences > Users and Groups.

If you're having trouble finding your mysql directory (and if I remember correctly it sometimes installs in some lengthy directory like ...mysql-darwin-kernel-version-10.3.6... something-or-other), I would rebuild your locate database (part of the weekly cron job but I use MacJanitor (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html) to do it).

For more information:
Apple.com: MySQL on MacOS (http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/osdb.html)