PDA

View Full Version : Youtube slow on snow leopard

The Fluffy Duck
28th December 2009, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,

I used to have optus and now I have telstra so I know its not my service provider. Every single youtube video takes ages to load and I am sick of it. IT only seemd to happen when I got snow leopard.

*It is slow on every browser
*Ive reinstalled Flash
*Ive repaired permissions and matinance scripts.

All to no avail. Any ideas?

Remy
28th December 2009, 05:24 PM
Same applies to me (on a very stable Westnet connection here), but only in the last few days. I've been on Snow Leopard for months, so I doubt it's an issue with that. Perhaps something's up with YouTube's servers...

choy
28th December 2009, 07:25 PM
Are you using firefox to view? I find youtube slows down after using firefox and leaving it open and sleeping/waking the computer. The only thing that fixes is a restart of the mac, restarting Firefox alone does NOT fix the slowdown.

ClockWork
28th December 2009, 09:45 PM
Sounds like a Flash Player problem, and it isn't the first time this has happened either.

This may be a solution:

1. Download uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html) <- choose the Mac OS X, version 10.4 and above version - weighing in at 338 KB.

2. Download Adobe Flash Player (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/) -> Select an operating system -> Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6 and click the yellow Continue button.

It will automatically present you with: Flash Player 10 for Mac OS X.
Hit the Agree and install now button.

Now for the fiddly bits...

3. Quit every Application (including all Browsers) on your Apple Mac.

4. Open and install the Flash Player Uninstaller.app and hit the Uninstall button. It may take a minute or so to uninstall Adobe Flash. When it has finished, click its Done button.

5. Next, install Adobe Flash Player 10, click the Continue button, click on the Hard Drive icon, click Continue again, click Install, put in your Password (if you have a Password) and click the OK button.

6. After it has installed and quit - DO NOT OPEN ANY WEB BROWSERS.

7. Instead - open:

Macintosh HD -> Library folder -> Internet Plug-Ins folder - and locate:

Flash Player.plugin and
flashplayer.xpt

8. Option-click on these two files to drag and copy them to your Desktop.

9. Next, open Macintosh HD -> User folder -> yourhomefolder -> Library folder -> Internet Plug-Ins folder - and then drag and drop those two Flash plugin files - (Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt), straight into this Internet Plug-Ins folder.

10. Close all windows and either Restart or Log Out of your Apple Mac.

Done. YouTube and YouTube HD should now work in both Safari and Firefox.

In other words, Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt, must exist in both:

\Library\Internet Plug-Ins\

and in

~Library\Internet Plug-Ins\

cheers,

cw

The Fluffy Duck
1st January 2010, 01:46 PM
Ill give that a go :)