PDA

View Full Version : Please help Nanna...

marymay
28th December 2009, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

I am 82 y.o.
I have a mac and in trying to 'tidy up' i have moved things all over the place and ive been told that is why my mac is doing funny things all the time (like asking me to start a new mail account often when i just want to read emails).

I now have a new little portable hard drive because i have been told i need to reinstall the discs which came with the mac, and i first need to move info i want to keep onto the this hard disc. Then move it back. As i mentioned, i have files and things in a bit of a mess... files withing files within files...mail in files and folders not in the mail program... applications everywhere.... please dont give me a lecture-i know im silly, but my question is:

how do i simly put everything onto the new hard drive? is it easy ? how do i know i have moved it all (as i have things everywhere in a big mess)

I am sitting here now with the bits connected but not sure of the best way to do this?

Thank you, Nan

ClockWork
28th December 2009, 02:50 PM
Mary - you posted a very similar message in October of 2009.

Click right here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/74829-grandma-needs-help-mac.html) to see that message and the responses that followed it.

Help was offered, yet you never responded further.

Do you still want real tangible help, as these kinds of problems cannot be solved over a forum like this.

Cheers,

Oren

simonm
29th December 2009, 07:38 PM
82 in Oct '09 and still 82 today!

My you have been keeping well!

MrJesseRoss
29th December 2009, 08:41 PM

So her birthday doesn't fall between October and December? What's your point?

bartron
29th December 2009, 08:48 PM

So her birthday doesn't fall between October and December? What's your point?

My thoughts exactly.

Anyway, I concur with Clockwork that it's the type of job you need to get someone to look at physically. You could get started initially (i.e. clone what you have now and do a clean install of OS X) but the other stuff will be hard to communicate in a forum (in either direction)