PDA

View Full Version : Applecare protection program- is it worth it?

lostiee
27th December 2009, 11:12 PM
Hey all,
Im purchasing my mbp soon, and im not sure if i should get the protection plan or not-- will i actually use it? From what ive heard Macbooks are quite reliable.. :)
$460 is quite a lot, and if i can do without it, my wardrobe could be slightly fuller tomorow :P hehe

Thanks for your input :)

bennyling
28th December 2009, 12:05 AM
You know what? There's an article on this very website, with almost the exact same title:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/40944-applecare-protection-plan-worth.html

Long story short - yeah, do it. Especially if it's your first Mac portable - those parts are expensive, and you'll be glad you don't have to sell off your clothes to pay for a new part ;)

bernborough2000
28th December 2009, 08:28 AM
Buy it online at ebay USA for about $ 180- $ 190 and have more money left for dresses .

CordlezToaster
28th December 2009, 09:33 AM
please read this before purchasing apple care off ebay
eBay Australia Guides - How to spot FAKE AppleCare - MUST READ (http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-AppleCare-Digital-Downloads_W0QQugidZ10000000013594494)

paulharrop
28th December 2009, 09:37 AM
I have a Macbook pro 2.33 which had developed some bad pixels.

About 2 months before Applecare expired I took it in and they replaced the screen no questions asked. The cost of doing this was listed at approx $1500 on the repair form they gave me. The cost of Applecare v's the cost of a new screen is quite a difference.

Yes! I always buy it.

Paul

ethania05
28th December 2009, 09:45 AM
I buy my Applecares just before the expiry date.

dekco
28th December 2009, 11:18 AM
for portable macs and iphones, yes its worth it *imo*. Otherwise for imac/mac pro, it may be worth the risk to go without the extra warranty.

bennyling
28th December 2009, 11:24 AM
I buy my Applecares just before the expiry date.

Doesn't make sense, because you're missing out on the phone support during the period that you don't have the AppleCare.

For an experienced Mac user, sure, but not for one new to Macs :)

Vapours
28th December 2009, 06:46 PM
I get AppleCare. Never used it. Never regretted having it.

wolfie
28th December 2009, 06:50 PM
is it true that apples clamping down on APP purchased outside from authorised dealers, and demand receipt, while ebay prices are good value, im just a bit iffy if they turn around and also ask for a recepit as well, because then there could be a problem.

bennyling
28th December 2009, 08:14 PM
is it true that apples clamping down on APP purchased outside from authorised dealers, and demand receipt, while ebay prices are good value, im just a bit iffy if they turn around and also ask for a recepit as well, because then there could be a problem.

Was there a question in there? Or just a statement of fact?

wolfie
28th December 2009, 08:23 PM
Was there a question in there? Or just a statement of fact?

probably worded it wrong, but its more of a question, i suppose on whats fact whether what ive heard does ring truth to it, if someone knows for certain to answer it?

glitch
28th December 2009, 08:25 PM

Its true that if Apple request proof of purchase for APP they ask for the serial number on the box and an invoice showing the APP and serial number from an Authorised Reseller, Apple Store or Online Store.

It is also true that people have got away with making claims on fake APP without being asked to prove its genuine, is it a risk you are prepared to take - paying for something that may prove to be useless?

wolfie
28th December 2009, 08:35 PM
what about if its genuine but bought off ebay?
therefore not purchased off a authorised seller,, thus no recepit?

glitch
29th December 2009, 06:32 AM
Potentially worthless, I have posted my example previously, i bought a copy that had "fallen off the back of a truck", genuine, in a sealed box. I tried to apply the registration code to my iMac, it was rejected as the APP being previously registered.

Upon contacting Apple they told me the APP was registered with an iMac in Germany, (presumably with a fake Ebay APP), when I told them I had the box, with the serial number they told me, "no problem, send us the invoice from the Authorised Reseller or Apple Store you bought it from and we will transfer the APP from the German iMac."

I am sure mine is an unusual experience and unlikely to be the outcome, but my point is that IF Apple want proof of genuine purchase, the official invoice is what they request.

I just cant see how its worth the risk of ending up with an expensive repair and the expense of a worthless APP.

IIe2PB
29th December 2009, 07:47 AM
I just cant see how its worth the risk of ending up with an expensive repair and the expense of a worthless APP.

What is more.. IMHO Apple are very much within their rights to try and stamp this out. It will result in us all paying more for Applecare. I really don't give a fig about ebay thiefs!

Swathe
30th December 2009, 11:47 AM
I recently bought my first mac and although I don't really require the telephone support, I have no regrets buying it.

gillquad
10th January 2010, 06:03 PM
Everyone says apple care is worth the money and they are probably right.

I didn't have the cash to get it when I purchased my 27inch which didn't worry me as the lady told me you can buy it later anyways, which i will be doing once i am back at work in a few weeks.
It gives me the shits though that they will cover you for longer at an additional cost. Surely a computer that cost $2500 should have a life expectancy of more than 12 months.

I once heard a guy talking about a plasma he bought that cost him almost $4000 but broke just outside his warranty period, being 12 or 24 months, I can't remember. He mentioned that all products regardless of the warranty period are still expected to work for a reasonable amount of time according to the ACCC. I have checked up on this a few times but never really come out with any real results.

I was under the impression that a warranty was only valid for its set time and that was that. Can somebody correct me?

IIe2PB
10th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Everyone says apple care is worth the money and they are probably right.

I didn't have the cash to get it when I purchased my 27inch which didn't worry me as the lady told me you can buy it later anyways, which i will be doing once i am back at work in a few weeks.
It gives me the shits though that they will cover you for longer at an additional cost. Surely a computer that cost $2500 should have a life expectancy of more than 12 months.

I once heard a guy talking about a plasma he bought that cost him almost $4000 but broke just outside his warranty period, being 12 or 24 months, I can't remember. He mentioned that all products regardless of the warranty period are still expected to work for a reasonable amount of time according to the ACCC. I have checked up on this a few times but never really come out with any real results.

I was under the impression that a warranty was only valid for its set time and that was that. Can somebody correct me?

I'm not really sure about that. However I will say that it's my experience these days that whenever you buy something you get the extended warranty. Once the extended warranty is finished you are on bonus time.

Personally I've never owned an apple longer than 2 years (other than my IIe which is 27 and still going strong) and Apple may be better than the run of the mill goods I'm referring to.

In large white goods this seems to be very much the case. People that bought simpsons (or brand whatever) and got 30 years out of them have a world of hurt when they buy now because the new stuff seems to last 6 years and you are expected to throw it away because it's not economical to repair.

cosmichobo
10th January 2010, 07:30 PM
If you don't mind a few arguements... save your money. If the machine fails within a reasonable time frame, then Australian Consumer law is your friend, especially when buying one of the most expensive brands on the market. Fork out $600 for a Dell laptop, and it dies after 2 years... sure, you got your money's worth. Pay $1800 for a Macbook Pro... it better not die after 2 years... and you shouldn't have to pay another $400 on top of the premium price tag.

Oh yeah - In My Opinion...

dekco
10th January 2010, 08:01 PM
the value of the APP is based on how much time/effort you want to be fighting apple to get your product fixed outside of warranty. as we all know apple has no qualms saying NO when its busted (even if it is a common problem; unless its something like the 8600M GT issue/cracked palmrest on white macbook).

how far you want to go to fight is up to you. if you want to battle it out; save the APP cash. If you want to be able to just cart your computer into the store and get it fixed, then pay up

gillquad
11th January 2010, 12:31 PM
Mum didn't get the "sunbeam care" on her sunbeam mixer... its at 35 years and still going strong!

I understand the you are still covered by some type of law regarding reasonable use. Like others have said, I think it really comes down to whether you can be bothered making countless phone calls and having countless arguments with Apple and possibly still not getting your product fixed.

Mychael
11th January 2010, 04:08 PM
The point made before is a good one. I'm talking what's 'right' here rather then what happens in the real world. If I'm paying peanuts for something then if it works for 2 yrs I reckon that's fair and anything more is a bonus but if I'm paying 2k or more for something then I think it's reasonable to expect more then 2 yrs use out of it.
It's supposed to be a consumers market and yet we are accepting short warranties on expensive goods then happily paying more to get the service we should be getting in the first place.. Sadly just the way of the world today.

gillquad
13th January 2010, 08:46 PM
The point made before is a good one. I'm talking what's 'right' here rather then what happens in the real world. If I'm paying peanuts for something then if it works for 2 yrs I reckon that's fair and anything more is a bonus but if I'm paying 2k or more for something then I think it's reasonable to expect more then 2 yrs use out of it.
It's supposed to be a consumers market and yet we are accepting short warranties on expensive goods then happily paying more to get the service we should be getting in the first place.. Sadly just the way of the world today.

Couldn't agree more!:thumbup:

nibbles
18th January 2010, 09:00 AM
What are the laws on refunds/repair/replace because my iMac 21.5 has a stuck line of pixels on it and apple don't want to know me because i don't have applecare. To be more specific they want me to take it to a service provider and that's not possible so unless i take applecare they won't touch it. Is there a law saying i can return the iMac regardless

dekco
18th January 2010, 09:04 AM
If your mac is less than 12 mths old you have warranty. Regardless of AppleCare or not.

nibbles
18th January 2010, 09:13 AM
yes i know but i can't take it to apple so what should i ask them to do. well i can take it to a service provider that 'doesn't service' last time i took a computer to them it took 3 weeks & 10 phone calls to even get them to look at it for a 5 minute job