PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Wireless Connection

craigjones
27th December 2009, 08:16 PM
Hello,

I have a brand new macbook and I am able to connect no problem to my home wireless network. However after about 5-10 minutes the connection drops out and I need to run the Diagnostic tool in "Network Preferences" in order to reestablish the connection. I really need some help as I can't find a solution.

I have already downloaded the latest software patches and it made no difference.

Thanks

Huy
27th December 2009, 08:23 PM
Is it at the top of your preferred networks (System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced)?

Sometimes this happens to me, coming out of sleep. I turn AirPort on/off again and it works. If that doesn't work, a restart fixes it. Most of the time turning it on and off again works fine. Sometimes it fails to auto-connect and I just re-enter the AP name and password (even if it is stored in Keychain, weird).

craigjones
27th December 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks. This is what I have been doing every 5-10 minutes. However it seems like a bug to me and I should not have to continually reconnect to a network using that method. Is this a known problem with Macbooks and Airport? If so I wish I had known before I went ahead and bought it :-)

timmytomtam
27th December 2009, 08:39 PM
Is this a known problem with Macbooks and Airport?

Yes!

There are discussions about it all over the internet, and already a few threads on MacTalk as well.

It's been a problem ever since the first generation MacBooks that were made years ago. Apple have really been slack in fixing it.

For me, it also happens every 5-10 mins and turning airport off and back on does the trick.

ClockWork
27th December 2009, 08:41 PM
Difficult to say.

How far away are you from the wireless modem and does the signal have to travel through any solid objects or compete with other wireless devices such as TV Remotes, Microwaves, Hands free phones and so forth.

craigjones
27th December 2009, 08:41 PM
Well I will call Apple and abuse them to. No doubt everyone else has been doing the same. It seems outrageous that such a simple but basic thing has not been fixed yet!

ClockWork
27th December 2009, 09:18 PM
Well I will call Apple and abuse them to. No doubt everyone else has been doing the same. It seems outrageous that such a simple but basic thing has not been fixed yet!

I really wouldn't advise that.

Remember... there's no one person who is actually "Apple".

Beau
27th December 2009, 10:14 PM
I also have this, but only on some wireless access points - it's totally fine at home (netcomm router/wap), but at my brother's house (2Wire ADSL Modem/Router), it drops it's sync every 5-10 minutes, and it takes a little while to reconnect. This only happens while my MacBook is on the network - it's fine with anything else connected (PC, PS3, iPhone, iPod touch, etc).

Exocet
27th December 2009, 10:31 PM

Yeah! Abuse the poor sap on the end of the line, that'll get you what you want.

encryptionmatrix
30th December 2009, 03:28 PM
You might want to try changing the channel your router broadcasts on in case there are other devices on the sane channel causing interference. I seem to recall that worked for me a year or so back when I was having connection issues.

Warthog
30th December 2009, 08:44 PM
No problem here at all. Running MBP through Time Capsule then to Motorola SBG900. I believe MBP and Time Capsule both run on the 802.11n protocol, which I think is a reasonably new standard.

Gerryd
6th January 2010, 09:57 AM
Check the channel that your wirless router is set to, i had the same issue and found that the problem was because my router was using channel 11, changed it to channel 10 and it now works prefectly.

~Coxy
6th January 2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah! Abuse the poor sap on the end of the line, that'll get you what you want.

These companies have such poor customer service policies that they only help you when you make it abuntantly clear that you are unhappy and they are inviting unwated customer attention onto their poor policies by not helping you.

They bring it onto themselves.

Exocet
6th January 2010, 11:20 AM
These companies have such poor customer service policies that they only help you when you make it abuntantly clear that you are unhappy and they are inviting unwated customer attention onto their poor policies by not helping you.

They bring it onto themselves.
And the company's ethos and customer service policies are controlled by the operator how, exactly? My point is that the operator on the phone can't change the policies - but they can bend the rules for you if you're nice.

Abusing them is not going to solve your problem.

~Coxy
6th January 2010, 04:25 PM
It can depend, but often you have to get reasonably angry, forceful and argumentative to get anywhere, especially in a real shop.

In this case, I doubt it will get him anywhere. It's just one of the things that suck about wireless.
In other cases, it would likely get him a much better deal than the polite sap who accepts having his machine taken away to be "looked at" or other bullshit that they often do in service.