PDA

View Full Version : Good software downloads - games, design stuff-FREE

estoyloco
15th July 2004, 10:28 AM
I'm bored and have a few days till uni starts and i'm longing for a free program to download.. maybe a game or something... or a cool free program to muck around in...

any suggestions

i have:
- konfabulator

Disko
15th July 2004, 10:33 AM
Try this thread:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=21

estoyloco
15th July 2004, 10:40 AM
i just though of something and if someone can answer this then my problem is solved..

my friends sister got an ibook recently and with it TONY Hawk 4. The thing is its in the software install CD's somewhere.. does anyone know how to find it without installing the iBook version of OSX....???? is there any difference if i become desperate and decide to install her version????

anyway if someone knows how to find the file that would be great???

Is it "show original" that will bring up all the hidden files??
thanks!

purana
15th July 2004, 11:53 AM
If you have a portable machine with wireless, install KisMAC and go for a drive/walk around your neighbourhood and find some wireless gear...

pipsqeek
15th July 2004, 01:57 PM
Design:
GIMP - Photoshop equivilent

Office Suite:
NeoOffice - M$ Office equivilent

Steve

stickman67
16th July 2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 15 2004, 01:57 PM
Office Suite:
NeoOffice - M$ Office equivilent
How's it coming along?

I've found that because most (for which read just about all) the authors and publishers I deal with use MS Word to produce or disseminate manuscripts, MS Office is simply the default suite, and I haven't been able to dispense with it.

Say what you will about Word, but I just haven't found a substitute yet.

So I keep a very loose watching brief on things like NeoOffice and OpenOffice (is the former another open-source build of the latter?), waiting for them to come right up to speed for OS X.

Do you reckon NeoOffice is getting there yet? Would it be a viable substitute for MS Office, or has it still got a few miles (kilometres?) to travel?

petruk
17th July 2004, 10:32 AM
I was going to reply to this yesterday, then got distracted by something else, then remembered it while I was doing something entirely different.

Try Glider Pro
http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/

If you're from Mac Classic days, you might remember it ;)

It's now made availble free by the author because the company selling it went bung...

purana
17th July 2004, 10:50 AM
What is glider pro? is it a game?

LCGuy
17th July 2004, 11:31 AM
Yep! An oldie but a goodie. It originally came out in 1991. Its about as fun as it is old, which is a lot!!!!! :D

Ozi
17th July 2004, 02:20 PM
ohohoh! i used to play that on a mac classic! awesome game! :D I wasted so many hours of my life when I was 6 playing that game. :rolleyes: Its heaps of fun.

Another good one... Big Bang Chess (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23398) It is the Best OSX native chess game around. If you are a chess fan, this game is a must have. However, annoyingly you cannot turn off the games music, meaning that you cant run iTunes for music, but must either sit in silence or listen to itunes clash with the built in game music. :S not good.

If anyone has discovered how to turn Big Bang Chess's music off, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

pipsqeek
17th July 2004, 05:16 PM
NeoOffice is getting better each release.

It is essentially OpenOffice, just ported over, and slowly being aqua-ised. ie: Rounder buttons, etc...

It is also getting faster and more responsive with each release. Taking less time to load as well.

I have no choice with it because I bought Office v.X and it didn't work, crashed my iBook repeatedly. My iBook is solid otherwise. Its highest uptime has been 47 days, and is currently at 39 days 3 hours .... as I write this reply.

I tried to get my money back for the M$ but the shop didn't want anything of it. So I am stuck with an app that doesn't work, and out of pocket a few $$$.

One more reason to never use M$ again.

I installed a copy of Office 2004 to see if that ran stable. Same ol' schiesse!

People reckon there is something wrong with my iBook. If that was the case, then why are only M$ products diying in the arse when I install them?

Steve

estoyloco
17th July 2004, 05:23 PM
does anyone know where to get any \ "demo" versions of office 2004? apparently people on limewire put virus's in the files...

Also i would never buy from a company i dont respect... u should have just got a "DEMO", not that i condone software piracy.. but from M$..well...

eni
17th July 2004, 07:50 PM
I loved/love glider pro! I too wasted many hours on it years back... Oh, and Oxyd!
My powerbook is loaded with games I have to start classic for :( and barely any os x ones so I don't think I have any to suggest.

[Edit]

Oh wow! I didn't realise there was a os x glider! Thanks for the link!

OziMac
17th July 2004, 07:52 PM
Awesome link! Glider is in my opinion the all-time greatest Mac game!

I had a demo version of it a few years back but excellent to see the author make it freeware now. Thanks!

pipsqeek
17th July 2004, 10:08 PM
yes, it was good news that the author made it freeware again.

Another game I played till it who knows when was Bloodsuckers, used the mouse to kill bugs and stuff before they landed on an arm at the bottom of the screen.

The graphics were unreal...actually they were real, the arm was a photo of a real one.

And Spectre Challenge, as well as Lemmings and Maelstrom.

So much school days and nights we spent on those simple yet fun games.

Oh Guy Spy, will not forget how good that was.

Steve

yinyang
18th July 2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Jul 17 2004, 05:23 PM
does anyone know where to get any \ "demo" versions of office 2004? apparently people on limewire put virus's in the files...

try the mactopia (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/) site

eni
18th July 2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 17 2004, 10:08 PM
yes, it was good news that the author made it freeware again.

Another game I played till it who knows when was Bloodsuckers, used the mouse to kill bugs and stuff before they landed on an arm at the bottom of the screen.

The graphics were unreal...actually they were real, the arm was a photo of a real one.

And Spectre Challenge, as well as Lemmings and Maelstrom.

So much school days and nights we spent on those simple yet fun games.

Oh Guy Spy, will not forget how good that was.

Steve
I remember all of them. Yeah bloodsuckers was cool.

...& Blobbo & Swoop & Infotron & Jetpack & Mydude/Mario Clone & Oxyd & Spin Doctor & Prince of persia & Diamonds (remember really longing for diamonds 3d...and it completely sucked) & Simcity & Simcity 2000 & Swoop & Super Maze wars & WallRunners & Deadlock & Doom1/2 & Flashback & All the incredible machines (Classic...best games) & Stained Glass &
...better stop now :P

I remember that Spectre Challenge game was on all the macs when I was in primary school. Problem was they were all networked and it wouldn't let you start more than one instance of the game at a time. Yet we devised we could start them all at the same time and beat the system. Fun times, I know there would have been better ways around it but it was just funny.

pipsqeek
18th July 2004, 09:57 AM
Man, I loved SimCity2000 so much, I bought it.

2 flopy discs. 1 for the game and the other for the extra scenarios.

Yeah, we use to hack into our network running classics, LCIII's and the likes.

The passwords were so easy, "Frog", "Sheep", etc.. always an animal.

We would go to the app's info and change the RAM it used while running to some stoopidly high levels. :)

Steve

eni
18th July 2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 18 2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah, we use to hack into our network running classics, LCIII's and the likes.

The passwords were so easy, "Frog", "Sheep", etc.. always an animal.
Ours was "snow"! :lol:

I've been playing SimCity 2000 on my powerbook recently. Really takes me back, I've been meaning to find some of my old cities. I have 3000 on my PC but it just isn't the same.

elvis
19th July 2004, 06:09 PM
http://www.macmame.org is all you need for classic gaming goodness. :)