PDA

View Full Version : Optus Satellite Broadband

biandar
11th August 2005, 02:17 PM
We have ordered Optus Satellite Broadband (under the HiBIS scheme) and they provide no support for Mac setup.

I am quite comfortable with dialup configuration, and have even used IPNetRouter with a small network a few years back, but I wonder what I will be confronted with when the technician comes to install our satellite connection.

A quick seach for help on the web was not very fruitful.

There must be instructions out there somewhere.

Can anyone offer help?

iceT
12th August 2005, 09:58 AM
Hi biandar,
I have hibis satellite broadband (vSat - two way) and a G5 iMac (1st series), connected through Bordernet (www.bordernet.com.au) which use the optus satellite system. Not real sure on the basics with optus, but I can tell you with bordernet, they supplied everything (satellite, cabling etc, skyedge modem, install) all at no cost. The skyedge modem is plugged straight into the ethernet port on the back of my iMac G5. It wasn't real hard to put the ip address, gateway etc into the right places - (sytem preferences and network). On install, the tech will have a laptop with him which will show you that the system is working. My only trouble was that I put the wrong proxy address in and surfing was slow. But overall, I find that the sat. system is great. I was used to downloads at around 4K, now am getting speeds around 40K - so huge difference there. There is aparently a slight lag when surfing because of the distance between satellite and earth station, but from what I was used to, with crappy phone lines etc, it is still a vast improvement. It's also great to have the internet available at any time night or day - you will be surprised at how often you will jump on just to check something out because YOU CAN!!! and it doesnt tie up the phone line. Bordernet has one guy who uses macs so I get tech support through him. Anyhow goodluck with your sat connection - It was the best thing I've done, and if I can be of any further service, I will try to help!

Georgie - (iceT)

biandar
13th August 2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by iceT@Aug 12 2005, 09:58 AM
Hi biandar,
I have hibis satellite broadband (vSat - two way) and a G5 iMac (1st series), connected through Bordernet (www.bordernet.com.au) which use the optus satellite system. Not real sure on the basics with optus, but I can tell you with bordernet, they supplied everything (satellite, cabling etc, skyedge modem, install) all at no cost. The skyedge modem is plugged straight into the ethernet port on the back of my iMac G5. It wasn't real hard to put the ip address, gateway etc into the right places - (sytem preferences and network). On install, the tech will have a laptop with him which will show you that the system is working. My only trouble was that I put the wrong proxy address in and surfing was slow. But overall, I find that the sat. system is great. I was used to downloads at around 4K, now am getting speeds around 40K - so huge difference there. There is aparently a slight lag when surfing because of the distance between satellite and earth station, but from what I was used to, with crappy phone lines etc, it is still a vast improvement. It's also great to have the internet available at any time night or day - you will be surprised at how often you will jump on just to check something out because YOU CAN!!! and it doesnt tie up the phone line. Bordernet has one guy who uses macs so I get tech support through him. Anyhow goodluck with your sat connection - It was the best thing I've done, and if I can be of any further service, I will try to help!

Georgie - (iceT)
Many thanks, Georgie. Your post is most reassuring and your
offer of further help if necessary is most appreciated.

We will also be getting a Skyedge modem, and I was scared
that it might need a driver, and that I would find that Mac drivers
did not exist. Your post seems to indicate that no driver is
required.

I am hoping that the technician that installs the system will be
a helpful person, even if not Mac-savvy.

Thanks again

Ros (biandar)

the_cripple
14th August 2005, 10:28 AM
Bit off-topic:

How much are you paying iceT for 2way. Went to the bordernet website and couldnt find any pricing info.

iceT
14th August 2005, 11:42 AM
Biandar,
no driver is needed for the skyedge modem, it simply just plugs into the ethernet port on the back of my iMac.

As for pricing, I have the basic hibis scheme which is 256/64 500MB per month download for $49.50. I do believe they have just added a new price for 1000 MB its only $10 more per month - $59.50. There is info on the website about all pricing and download limits etc... http://www.bordernet.com.au/vsat_sub.htm
remember you must qualify for the hibis subsidy to receive these prices...

(and for any wanting to know - no I do not work for bordernet, am not affiliated in any way, except that I am a happy, satisfied bordernet user!!!)

Georgie (iceT)

Quamen
14th August 2005, 03:43 PM
biandar you may have some problems with a mac and a 1-way sattelite connection, as there is no software available to support 1-way sattelite.

2-way should work perfectly though, the skyedge modems are great.

Do you know which you are entitled to under the HIBIS scheme? If you're only entitled to a 1-way sattelite connection then you will have to get a cheap PC to use as a gateway/router.

biandar
29th August 2005, 12:15 PM
Just reporting that our (2-way) satellite broadband has been connected.
There were no problems with the configuration - the technician was very
helpful and not at all anti- mac. Actually the mac seemed to do a fair bit
of the configuring by itself.

Now all I have to do is work out how to access the Optus site that will tell
me how much up/downloading I have done. At the moment it declines to
recognise the password that Optus provided.

Anyway, I am having fun.

Ros :)