PDA

View Full Version : Vista and MBP.

TK31
24th December 2009, 12:39 PM
Hey there. I recently got a Macbook Pro 2.8ghz 15.4" model (yesterday to be exact) and i decided to boot camp and play some windows games on it. The only problem is the immense heat.

You could fry an egg on the thin bit above the keyboard and below the screen hinge. I have actually burnt my hand on it, keeping it there for around 6 seconds.

Am I cooking my board? It may seem like a no-brainer, but i never knew running vista could make it this hot. Or is the heat just amplified because of the metal case?

Im scared of running graphic intensive games such as NFS Shift.

Yes, my cores are running at 72 degrees on idle.
The 9600m GT GPU is on fire. at around 72-73 degrees.

i need to get off windows...

~Coxy
24th December 2009, 01:02 PM
That sounds pretty normal. You have a few standard options:
-Use a fan control app, assuming they work in Windows on your hardware.
-Raise the MBP up off the desk by 1-2 inches.
-Point a fan at the MBP to keep air flowing, conducting away the heat from the aluminium.

AnthoMac
24th December 2009, 02:26 PM
It's normal under Windows 7 for me. The computer seems to be cranked at its highest setting and with no OS X to monitor the temperature and kick in the fan when necessary you're going to have to rely on third-party products.
I recommend speedfan (software) and an air conditioned room and/or raised MBP.

takamine
24th December 2009, 07:14 PM
I have the same experience as you. Not sure if it's a problem but I think it might be pretty normal since the 512MB 9600M GT uses a lot more power. In addition to that, the aluminium unibody acts as a heatsink so it dissipates heat a lot more than other laptops made from plastic. I guess it can be a good thing as it may prevent overheating.

The only downside I see with this is that you could burn yourself and your room will heat up heaps if you don't have air conditioning. My mother always complains that my room is an oven when I play Team Fortress 2 :p

dche5390
26th December 2009, 05:48 PM
Windows via Boot Camp makes Macs hot.

Its just the way it is. I wouldn't be too concerned. Even when my iMac got some funky condensation on the lower right hand corner of the display, a quick google and SpeedFan resolved the problem.

TK31
28th December 2009, 08:59 AM
thanks. I use MacFan to control my fan speeds.

But the thing is, my fans are currently running at 5900rpm (5879 to be exact) and the temps im getting while playing a game such as NFS Shift is 84 for the CPU Core 1, 79 for GPU core, 72 for Memory Controller.

This in comparison to 77 CPU Core, 78 GPU core and 71 Memory Controller for my windows HP DV5 laptop also running NFS Shift

I also took out my desktop's 12V Fan and attached an AC Adaptor to it, and use that as a sort of makeshift laptop cooler. THat doesnt really make a big difference.

And yes windows plastic laptops are hotter, but imo, they have bigger fans and better ventilation to compensate for that and do remain moderately warm, instead of flaming hot like a MBP

TK31
16th January 2010, 05:26 PM
hey! sorry for bringing up an old topic, but its better than spamming with a new thread.

Would anyone advise me to get the Logitech N100 notebook cooler? the shape of the thing doesnt look like it would fit the MBP 15".

Nvm. Ordered a Zalman NC1000.