PDA

View Full Version : Apple to iPhone Developers: Get Full-Screen Apps Ready

tcn33
24th December 2009, 05:59 AM
So says Silicon Alley Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-to-demo-tablet-in-january-asks-developers-to-get-apps-ready-2009-12):

Apple has been telling some app makers to prepare apps for a demo next month, according to this source. "They've told select developers that as long as they build their apps to support full screen resolution -- rather than a fixed 320x480 -- their apps should run just fine," our source says.

If true, it would seem to indicate the tablet will still effectively run one app at a time - even if background processes are allowed, you'll still only have one app onscreen at a time. I also wonder if from an app developer standpoint, "just run it fullscreen" is really a valid plan for dealing with multiple screen sizes.

Speculate away!

Remy
24th December 2009, 08:14 AM
I'm actually hoping this will be for Apple TV, which could (still, even after that supposedly "major" 3.0 update) really use some enhancements. Having said that, I suspect it's more likely to be used in the 'tablet'.

matthew858
24th December 2009, 09:01 AM
Only about 5-6 developers have been told the "make your apps full screen" statement, and I believe it was by phone (Apple always rings you if they need to talk to you).

The interesting thing is though that there is no SDK that can develop for the iPhone OS at a large screen size, and the Mac SDK doesn't have any of the iPhone-specific frameworks, meaning that developers will be given an SDK to develop on. Once this SDK is in the wild, people will leak the tablet image that comes with the files, and the screen resolution, leading people to work out the screen size.

Swathe
24th December 2009, 09:10 AM
This could get really interesting.

marc
24th December 2009, 09:42 AM
I also wonder if from an app developer standpoint, "just run it fullscreen" is really a valid plan for dealing with multiple screen sizes.

For most apps, it's not. Changing the resolution of your app would require MAJOR retooling most of the time. Adding an extra few pixels onto the x or y axis wouldn't be too hard for most, but running full screen? Weeks or months of work for our apps.

There are ways you can be a little more resolution independent, but they're not good techniques to use on iPhone apps (more memory and CPU intensive).

Very interesting though.

matthew858
24th December 2009, 09:55 AM
For most apps, it's not. Changing the resolution of your app would require MAJOR retooling most of the time. Adding an extra few pixels onto the x or y axis wouldn't be too hard for most, but running full screen? Weeks or months of work for our apps.

Exactly. In order for iPhone apps to work on the tablet though, they have to be able to run at 320x480px, as a large number of developers won't bother spending all of their time porting an existing app, they will want to use the new frameworks and features that the tablet offers to craft entirely new applications.

jack112006
25th December 2009, 09:14 AM
I know it would have given a bit away, but Apple should have put alot of emphasis on vector graphics when they first unveiled the SDK. It would have made this whole tablet problem non-existent.

mallo
25th December 2009, 11:29 AM
I know it would have given a bit away, but Apple should have put alot of emphasis on vector graphics when they first unveiled the SDK. It would have made this whole tablet problem non-existent.

in my limited knowlege of app development I strongly agree.

I don't agree that it would of given anything away though, i mean, tablet aside, it would of made sense for future proofing the iphone for a higher res iphone screen eventually.

marc
25th December 2009, 11:33 AM
Nah, vectors aren't the silver bullet some make them out to be. There's a lot more to UI design than simply getting things to render nicely. Certain things will never be acheiveable in a useful, non-bloaty way with vectors.

southfreo
30th December 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think it's so much of Vector vs Bitmap getting ready for the tablet, Vectors will certainly scale better, but it's more about what you do with the extra screen real-estate.

Not that any developer will be complaining too much :laugh: Should be fun modifying the apps.

Lutze
30th December 2009, 05:48 PM
Weird questions come to me when I read this.

1. How many Mac devs. are there?

2. How many App devs are there?

I guess the average selling price of an App is a lot less than that of an Application (iPhone vs Mac) so maybe that's why Apple are going to use the OS X iPhone for any sub-notebook design they produce - but will that give clients (both computing and breathing) the experience they really want?

Obviously it's going to require OS X iPhone v4 to do what they want - if that's the case, of course.