PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with a MacBook Pro (logic board dead)

vithlani
23rd December 2009, 01:36 PM
Hello,

Does anybody have any idea I can re-use the rest of my MacBook Pro 17" as the logic board is dead and it's out of warranty? New one costs > $1500.

The rest of the hardware components of the system are fine, beautiful screen HDD, RAM, Superdrive, etc.

It's breaking my heart to just see it lying there :(

Thank you

Sawan

dekco
23rd December 2009, 01:40 PM
Not much else you can do except salvage parts. Since it is the logicboard.

vithlani
23rd December 2009, 01:44 PM
Is there anything funky I can do with the screen?

I would rather put it to some use then flog it on eBay....

Sawan

mmulhern
23rd December 2009, 02:15 PM
Is there anything funky I can do with the screen?

I would rather put it to some use then flog it on eBay....

Unfortunately all the hardware required to drive the screen is on the logic board, so you can't do much with the screen.

I see that your options are either sell for parts, or bite the bullet and replace the logic board. The cost of replacing the logic board is roughly equivalent to only the entry level 13" MBP, and unless you require the higher specs of the newer 17" MBPs, I'd be looking at replacing the logic board.

jusrus
23rd December 2009, 03:55 PM
I flogged a dead MBP on eBay (logic board) and got $500 for it. Goes a long way to a new machine. Let it go I'd say. Just my opinion of course...;)

bakeraus
23rd December 2009, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately all the hardware required to drive the screen is on the logic board, so you can't do much with the screen.

I see that your options are either sell for parts, or bite the bullet and replace the logic board. The cost of replacing the logic board is roughly equivalent to only the entry level 13" MBP, and unless you require the higher specs of the newer 17" MBPs, I'd be looking at replacing the logic board.

I agree with this surely you could pick up a logic board off a model with out it damaged? Find another second hand machine to make up a full one.

Which model is faulty? I have a mate who has a MBP 17" with a faulty screen but the rest is running fine. Just a thought.

vithlani
24th December 2009, 08:43 AM
I flogged a dead MBP on eBay (logic board) and got $500 for it. Goes a long way to a new machine. Let it go I'd say. Just my opinion of course...;)

:(

Yeah mate, I think I might end up doing that....

vithlani
24th December 2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with this surely you could pick up a logic board off a model with out it damaged? Find another second hand machine to make up a full one.

Which model is faulty? I have a mate who has a MBP 17" with a faulty screen but the rest is running fine. Just a thought.

!!!!

Hold that thought buddy, will get back to you with the details.
Might end up being a good Christmas after all :)

Tugmaster
3rd January 2010, 07:04 PM
Hello,

Does anybody have any idea I can re-use the rest of my MacBook Pro 17" as the logic board is dead and it's out of warranty? New one costs > $1500.

The rest of the hardware components of the system are fine, beautiful screen HDD, RAM, Superdrive, etc.

It's breaking my heart to just see it lying there :(

Thank you

Sawan
I have a 17" MBP and last year it failed at 2.5 years old, i sent it to Maxworks Joondalup expecting the worst
They told me that the logic board had failed and told me these normally cost $1000 but as apple knew they had a fault they would fix it for free

chippamania
10th January 2010, 10:10 AM
I just jumped onto Mactalk looking for a topic such as this...

I've just moved places, and remembered that I have an old iBook G3 sitting round with a busted logic board. I'm keen to flog it off for parts, but want to ensure its memory is completely wiped before doing so. Is this possible? Is it a shop job?

Thanks!

dekco
10th January 2010, 04:53 PM
keep the hard drive, and sell everything else as parts. that way, you wont have to deal with your private info getting out in the open.

kyncaid
10th January 2010, 07:48 PM
I had an ALIENWARE laptop the didn't make it throught a Storm, and couple of years ago and i thought the same thing.

I salvaged the HDD drive and put it in a caddy. Bought a slim caddy for the optical drive and upgraded my wifes laptop with the RAM.

I Know how you feel but you have a car with no engine.

All you can do is replace the engine or turn it into art.

Wally
11th January 2010, 07:30 AM
What exactly happens when you try and turn the MacBook Pro on?

LikeTotaly
8th February 2010, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,

you all are doing it the hard and expensive way.
I had a dead logic board fixed in my macbook pro 17" in october and after shopping around got the only worthwhile price from laptoptec for $480.

Had to pay shipping also because I shipped it to them Im in the Gold Coast. Still totally less than > $1500.

I know we payed top dollar to buy our macs but why waste money.

mallo
8th February 2010, 02:23 PM
Hey guys,

you all are doing it the hard and expensive way.
I had a dead logic board fixed in my macbook pro 17" in october and after shopping around got the only worthwhile price from laptoptec for $480.

Had to pay shipping also because I shipped it to them Im in the Gold Coast. Still totally less than > $1500.

I know we payed top dollar to buy our macs but why waste money.

Silly "LikeTotaly" and your silly spam.

LikeTotaly
8th February 2010, 02:33 PM
sorry didnt know mentioning a company name was against the rules.

rftemp
24th May 2010, 06:46 PM
+1 for the aforementioned company. Sent them a 17" MBP with dead LB (that i got for free :D ) they took a few weeks but it works great.