PDA

View Full Version : Screen lines

Gilbo71
22nd December 2009, 08:55 AM
My G5 OSX (10.4.?) has developed two thin vertical lines on the screen, visible using all programs and all login accounts. One line is yellow and the other is pink, they are about 0.5 mm thick. What's wrong? Is there a cure? Can I do it myself? The computer is about 3 years old. Cheers Gilbo.

decryption
22nd December 2009, 09:04 AM
G5 PowerMac or G5 iMac?

Macyoshary
22nd December 2009, 09:57 AM
If its an iMac, then get it in to Apple for repair, especially if you got Applecare and it is within the time range. We had a similar problem with our Intel iMac, and the screen was replaced under warranty, unfortunately, when the repairman put the new one in, it had the same problem straight away, but he was able to order in another part.

I remember reading somewhere that this was a recognised fault for certain serial numbers and that the screen would be replaced regardless of warranty. I'll have a look.

Josh

Brains
22nd December 2009, 10:08 AM
Gilbo, if the lines do not move, then the fault lies with the display, not the computer - the display needs to be replaced (if it is stand-alone) or repaired (if it is an iMac). If the lines do move, then the fault is with the graphics chip -- if you have a PowerMac G5, the videocard needs to be replaced, if it is an iMac, the logicboard needs to be replaced.