PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp: Clone Copy not working

thorevenge
20th December 2009, 12:36 AM
As part of my move to the new MBP from a MB, I used Winclone to apply a copy of my Windows partition to the MBP. It's great - it boots... and thats about it. No keyboard, no mouse, nothing.

The Install Media doesn't autorun and I can't move to get it run. External mice and keyboards don't work either.

Do I need to run a Windows repair first?

Brains
20th December 2009, 02:36 AM
Did you remember to use Boot Camp Assistant to install a vanilla Windows before trying to restore a Winclone'd install? BCA is needed to set up the partitions correctly and ensure the EFI loader is written to the 200 MB EFI partition; without that, your Windows doesn't have a BIOS it can communicate with reliably.

thorevenge
20th December 2009, 11:08 AM
Nope.

I think I understand what you are getting at though. The reason that I didn't do that, was previously when I adjusted my Bootcamp partition on the old machine, I simply cloned, removed the partition, restored the partition, and placed the image back.

But I think you are right. It definitely appears to be some kind of driver related issue.

Would a Windows repair not working you think?

Brains
20th December 2009, 01:00 PM
No, it wouldn't -- you need to go through the Boot Camp Assistant process.

On your old machine, you'd set up Windows via Boot Camp, so BCA had put the EFI loader on where it was supposed to. Deleting / resizing / recreating the Windows partition there did not touch the EFI partition, so Windows was still able to work because it had the EFI code to translate the Apple's built-in hardware into BIOS-related calls it could understand.

If you did not run Boot Camp Assistant on your new machine -- you'd merely partitioned as you saw fit with Disk Utility -- then Windows is not going to work because the all-important EFI loader code is missing. The Windows install cannot 'see' any internal hardware beyond the hard drive and the screen because the EFI <-> BIOS translator code is missing.

You need to restore your new MacBook Pro to a single HFS+j partition, run Boot Camp Assistant (which annoyingly complains about pre-existing partitions) and start to install Windows, as if you were setting up Boot Camp for the very first time (which in essence you are). Let the Windows installer go through the motions of the first pass, when it restarts to begin the second pass, hold the Option key at the chime and select your OSX partition. You can now use Winclone to overwrite what the Windows installer has just done with your old install. Upon next restart, everything will work as it should have done in the first place.

thorevenge
20th December 2009, 01:13 PM
No it was partitioned using Bootcamp. So thats not an issue. The EFI loader is present and the volume is bootable.

But I think I get what you are saying. Run the normal install and then overwriting should work as necessary BIOS level components from Windows should be installed correct?

I still think its more of a driver issue visually based upon what I am seeing:

No mouse, no USB, no keyboard, new hardware wizards popping up everywhere...

Brains
20th December 2009, 02:38 PM
Mmm, now that you explain it that way, it does appear as if everything is where it should be EFI/BIOS wise, which means you're going to run into the other big obstacle -- Windows absolutely HATES shifting platforms. If the chipset changes or the processor changes, you cannot move a pre-existing Windows installation and expect it to work.

(Well, on normal generic PCs, it can be coaxed into moving but it requires a lot of work manually editing the registry and dozens of restarts, and assumes you have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard connected, something Macs don't have.)

If your MacBook used an Intel chipset and your new MacBook Pro has an Nvidia chipset, you're screwed. Your only remaining option is a fresh start -- a clean install of Windows with Boot Camp, and manually copy any Windows data you have from your previous installation. Sorry.

thorevenge
20th December 2009, 09:53 PM
Perfect

Thats more or less what I was looking to hear. Kinda. I expected that was the answer more or less. Thanks