PDA

View Full Version : PC Transfer Issue

Scooterpig
16th December 2009, 09:23 AM
My PC has just died, motherboard issue, have ordered new iMac i7 and naturally wish to move everything across to it, but as pc is now dead and don't have a spare motherboard, how do I go about getting what I need across to new iMac please?

With the pc dead does that also now restrict me in deauthorising pc in iTunes or will it work no problems with new iMac if I select to deauthorise all pc's?

All I really need is my iTunes library,mail and a few files here and there, but not being able to fire up the stupid windows am wondering if still able to transfer ok.

Thanks..:)

Geoff3DMN
16th December 2009, 09:27 AM
You should be able to put the hard drive from the windows machine into an external hard drive box and then you can plug the external hard drive box into your apple machine and copy the files off the windows drive and onto your apple machine.

Scooterpig
16th December 2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks Geoff I was thinking that myself and wondering if it was still possible without actually running Windows itself.

Geoff3DMN
16th December 2009, 09:38 AM
It is possible to import certain types of files but not all.

Your documents, spreadsheets, mp3s should be fine though.

Scooterpig
16th December 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks mate, so you saying that my iTunes Library won't be a problem then as that's my main concern, although have several saved e-mails I need too but hoping I can copy over those folders.

Japester
16th December 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks mate, so you saying that my iTunes Library won't be a problem then as that's my main concern, although have several saved e-mails I need too but hoping I can copy over those folders.

Drag your iTunes folder to ~/Music/ and hold down Option when you launch iTunes. You'll get the Create/Choose library dialog. Click the Choose button and navigate to ~/Music/iTunes/. Click on iTunes Library.itl. Click OK. iTunes will load the library. You should check that the path to the media files is correct in the Advanced tab of the iTunes preferences.

Japester
16th December 2009, 09:45 AM
Also, you can't deauthorise the PC from your pool of 5 licensed iTunes computers, but unless you're running out of licences, don't worry about it. You can deauthorise all computers if you like, and this will reset your count to 0, but this can be done only once a year.

Scooterpig
16th December 2009, 10:01 AM
Thank you Japester that helps me out heaps and yep I will deauthorise all as am at the 5 now so need a new one and that will be fine as won't be updating within the year anyways after receiving the i7.

Will mail from Outlook transfer over ok direct from it's folder or am I stuffed there cause of not being able to run Windows?

:)

Japester
16th December 2009, 10:05 AM
...Will mail from Outlook transfer over ok direct from it's folder or am I stuffed there cause of not being able to run Windows?

Is your mail account an IMAP one? Because if it is, this is incredibly easy. You would configure your account in Mail and all the mail would be downloaded.

If it's POP, and thus all your mail is local to that one PC, then I'm not sure. Perhaps you could import into Mail. Depends what format the mail is in. I'm sure someone else on the forum is knowledgeable in this.

Scooterpig
16th December 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks mate, my biggest concern was just the fact that I wouldn't be able to run Windows to format and/or save anything and everything, but if I can do so via usb transfer then I'll be happy..:)