PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Book Pro Owner

Swathe
15th December 2009, 10:28 PM
I am going to but a Mac book pro tomorrow with 3 years applcare and Snow Leopard. Any pitfalls, advice or price haggling info would be great. I plan to haggle using the refresh rumoured to hit in Jan/Feb.

~Coxy
16th December 2009, 11:01 AM
Best way to haggle is simply to go to JB Hifi or Dick Smith and offer to pay cash for a lower price. You can usually get 7-10% off, especially if you're going to buy AppleCare with it (which is almost pure profit for the retailer, whereas they make very little money on the hardware itself.)

lukemc
16th December 2009, 11:08 AM
myer had a deal on if you bought applecare with a macbook pro you got free skull candy headphones and maybe office??

If your a student dont forget the co-op bookstore do around 12% discount if your a member and can be bought online.

glacierdave
16th December 2009, 12:48 PM
Best way to haggle is simply to go to JB Hifi or Dick Smith and offer to pay cash for a lower price. You can usually get 7-10% off, especially if you're going to buy AppleCare with it (which is almost pure profit for the retailer, whereas they make very little money on the hardware itself.)

Just to clear something up, AppleCare isn't "almost pure profit". It's a product. The retailer has to purchase that product, add their markup and then sell it. The actual markup is going to depend on the store but it'll most likely be somewhere in the 10-30% range I'd think.

If it has an Apple brand on it, there's not much profit in it for the retailer.

decryption
16th December 2009, 01:08 PM
Just to clear something up, AppleCare isn't "almost pure profit". It's a product. The retailer has to purchase that product, add their markup and then sell it. The actual markup is going to depend on the store but it'll most likely be somewhere in the 10-30% range I'd think.

If it has an Apple brand on it, there's not much profit in it for the retailer.

That's right - AppleCare has about the same markup as the rest of the products Apple sells. The only reason resellers are keen to discount it is because Apple give a rebate to the reseller if a certain amount of AppleCare units are sold together with a Mac. Those rebates are sometimes the only profit a reseller will see and the only way to make some decent cash.

So yeah, if you want AppleCare, the reseller will be okay selling it at virtually cost price (which is about 10-20% depending on the product).

Swathe
16th December 2009, 01:38 PM
Well as I type this snow leopard is installing on my new MacbookPro (2.53 ghts, 4gb of RAM, 250gb hard drive)

I got it, 3 years applecare, snow leopard full version, mac book case and a acouple of DVD's for 2600. They basically gave me 120 off which was fine with me. Thanks for the advice and hope to be able to input something on this forum. I am usually a Linux user.

Swathe
16th December 2009, 03:56 PM
Well Dick Smith sold me the wrong apple care so I took it back for the right version and got the $160 difference back. Have to email proof of purchase though as there is a problem with the apple system registering purchases after 22/11/2009, or so they tell me.