PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Dead Pixel Cluster

Koman
9th August 2005, 09:20 PM
Earlier today I decided to clean my 12-inch PowerBook's screen. When I did, I noticed that in the centre two circular smudges did not want to rub off - and upon further inspection I realised that it was what I believe to be a cluster of dead pixels! I mean, I'm not sure - but what else could it be?

On my desktop I have a navy-blue-ish background, and the two circles come out as white-like in colour. It is very noticeable and annoying. I've had the PowerBook for just over a month now, and I don't know when they just appeared - like I said for a while I presumed they were smudges but I couldn't be bothered cleaning it.

As its only 1 and a half months old, its still under warranty - but I'm just wondering what will the procedure from here if Apple chooses to fix it? Will they replace my PowerBook or just repair it? How long will I be without a laptop? I really need it for Uni as I have 2 major assignments coming up.

I have read from various sources that Apple have a 5 or so dead pixel return policy, so the two clusters on my screen will easily be accepted right?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

Ozi
10th August 2005, 12:00 PM
Another possibility is that it is not dead pixels, but the feared "white splodge" syndrome of Powerbook screens. This program (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11661) will help determine if it is dead pixels, or if the screen just has whiter blotches.

Either way, the screen will be covered by warranty and should be replaced by Apple. The only nuisance is that you will be bookless for over a week as the repairs are made: replacing LCDs is a fiddly and time consuming task.

Hope this helps.