PDA

View Full Version : Which Navigation App should I buy?

mitty
12th December 2009, 05:52 PM
Help! I'm totally confused. Which GPS Navigation app should I buy? I'm loaded up with cheap itunes credit. I really only want one of them. I was going to buy Tom Tom as from the thread it seems like it's probably the best one at the moment, but then it's hard to tell.

So please tell me which app I should buy, and why. Vote if you like :)

kyte
12th December 2009, 06:37 PM
Mitty... why do you want a GPS app? If its just to get from A to B, any would do, including NDrive which is the cheapest and not in your list.

If you want things like speed and redlight cameras audible warnings everywhere (not just in metro areas) and overspeed and schoolzone warnings (audible, not just visual, lets face it you need to be watching the road, not the screen) then Sygic is the go. If you don't care about school zone warnings, its going to be tomtom. They have visual but not audible alerts for school zones.

I would say as a general rule if you want more than basic A to B directions, go with either Tomtom or Sygic, because of the map provider they use. The others promise much but deliver less, depending on where you are driving. Of all, I think NDrive has the best potential if they would just switch to whereis for mapping. But... will that happen? No idea.

FYI: I voted Tomtom and the reason for that is the additional capacity to throw in extra POIs (on a j/b phone) without fuss and bother, something that cannot be done with any of the others. More and more I find school zone warnings aren't that important to me. If you had asked before the last update on Sygic, thats where my vote would have gone... its lost something since then.

mac_man_luke
12th December 2009, 09:42 PM
Id say tomtom, works well and is nicely themed for the iphone interface

scruffie
13th December 2009, 05:01 AM
i would prefer the tomtom as well. i prefer the user interface over sygic.

jeloz
13th December 2009, 06:09 AM
i have Navigon as i think it was the 1st available, its a bit fiddly and some of the routes it advises seem out of whack...though i do like the way it brings up the green freeway signs telling you to take a turnoff etc (in NSW)....

Question, does the Tom Tom version have speed camera warnings (like the regular tom tom model) and if i already have a speed camera subscription, does that transfer onto the iPhone App?

Jeloz

kyte
13th December 2009, 06:32 AM
i have Navigon as i think it was the 1st available, its a bit fiddly and some of the routes it advises seem out of whack...though i do like the way it brings up the green freeway signs telling you to take a turnoff etc (in NSW)....

Question, does the Tom Tom version have speed camera warnings (like the regular tom tom model) and if i already have a speed camera subscription, does that transfer onto the iPhone App?

Jeloz

Yes, tomtom has warnings, its built into the app. Your speed cam subscription (I have one, too) doesn't transfer... but don't worry, unlike the dedicated device, you don't have to pay more to get the cams. and we have already had one free map update from the 830 to 835 series, hoping the next update will be free, too.

Lutze
13th December 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm looking at buying one of these too... though I'm probably a bit on the tight side and won't fork out $99 for the TomTom one.

So what is the difference between Sygic and Navigon, for example? I know at least one of them uses the WhereIs maps, but I can't find out who Navigon use.

Anyone in Perth's north have any experience with using these outside of the metro area?

rustyshelf
13th December 2009, 04:23 PM
Another vote for Tom Tom, and with 50% off iTunes vouchers at BigW today, it's half price :)

mbd
13th December 2009, 06:48 PM
I was assured by someone who seemed to know more about GPS that I'd ever care to that copilot is the brand to go with. I haven't tried it - has anyone else?

canonafficionado
13th December 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at buying one of these too... though I'm probably a bit on the tight side and won't fork out $99 for the TomTom one.

Not sure if they're going to do this locally as well, but there's a short piece here (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/11/tomtom-introduces-u-s-only-gps-iphone-application-for-49-99/) where they dropped it from $100>$50 for Tom Tom US, to try and get more sales, by changing the inclusions. If they dropped it here for $50 it would be great. Bit of a long shot though.

mitty
13th December 2009, 08:11 PM
I think I've basically decided to go with Tom Tom... but even though I've got the credit I don't need it right now so will wait, who knows we may get a discount at some point. Didn't it drop to 79 at one point just for a few days?

kyte
13th December 2009, 08:14 PM
I was assured by someone who seemed to know more about GPS that I'd ever care to that copilot is the brand to go with. I haven't tried it - has anyone else?

Yes, its rubbish in Australia, pretty much. REally good big maps so you can see at a glance where you are going, but the menus are confusing and they use Navteq maps which outside capital cities are only good for getting from a to b... most times. CP isnt too bad in this regard, but dont expect overspeed warnings (or any other kind for that matter)

kyte
13th December 2009, 08:16 PM
but I can't find out who Navigon use.

Navigon-> Navteq... and I wouldn't, outside metropolitan areas. Tomtom *and* Sygic use whereis.

canonafficionado
15th December 2009, 07:36 PM
I think I've basically decided to go with Tom Tom... but even though I've got the credit I don't need it right now so will wait, who knows we may get a discount at some point. Didn't it drop to 79 at one point just for a few days?

I think they did that price around the black friday/thanskgiving weekend (was either 69 or 79). Maybe they might do something over the new year/holiday period like that as well.