PDA

View Full Version : Name your best hardware buy

frenchtoast
13th July 2004, 03:56 PM
Just a post to see what people consider to have been their best hardware bargain new and or second hand. I shall kick it off

Best hardware buy - brand new:

Digital Camera
Fujifilm Finepix A210
3.2 Mp, 3x optical Zoom
16 MB xD card + usb cable

Was $349

Paid $190
(about 45% off)

Bought from Kmart about 6 months ago. Was sitting behind some digital cameras in its box. It was marked as ex-repair but since it was so cheap thought to take a chance. Turned out just the disposable batteries were flat.

Febs
13th July 2004, 06:46 PM
I got $2,200 off my DP 500MHz G4 (back when it was top of the line). Staff discount + Apple rebate. I also got the then-current 17" ADC CRT for $400 instead of $1000. :D

Plenty of other good bargains over the years too....things like digicams etc...just can't think of any right now.

pipsqeek
13th July 2004, 09:24 PM
4X4 - bargained down from $8.5K to $5K.

First motorcycle - Bought to $4K, sold for $6K a year later.

Some very expensive parts when I first started to build guitar amps. for nothing.

Steve

Radar
13th July 2004, 09:50 PM
3.2 meter satellite dish in perfect condition = 1 quick 2 minute google search
Fully working PB160 = $10
Absolute mint condition OMP Newton = $10
Newton eMate 300 = $100

Heaps and heaps and heaps of stuff I've got for bargains. I'm known for them.

p996911turbo
13th July 2004, 10:03 PM
Stupidest decision: passed up a Newton for $50. :angry: stupid stupid me

Phillip
13th July 2004, 10:16 PM
lol i saw i newton (the 120) for $19...

Ozi
14th July 2004, 12:03 AM
yeah I own a newton! they are pretty funky, and were way ahead of their time! :)

Best buy:my current PowerBook (specs in my sig...) Worth: $4700 I Paid: $2200

Education discount, and salary packaging (which in effect makes it half price, as my father, who bought it, is in the top tax bracket, so %48 off the price. :D )

So a pretty neat saving, me thinks! LOL

kim jong il
14th July 2004, 04:34 AM
My second imac, a slot loading DV 400 (graphite). $320 if I recall correctly. The owner sold it (NR ebay auction) because an apple centre tech had told him the CRT analogue board needed replacing (the display did not function properly; strange colours/hue/saturation, no display, some display and perfect about 1 in 15 startups). The repair cost quoted by the apple centre was prohibitive/ridiculous and so the owner sold the mac with the problem advertised. As it had an external VGA port and I had a spare monitor I was quite happy to take it for about 50-65% of its value at the time: .

At that particular time TRAY loading imacs were dieing like flies due to an under-rated flyback transformer failing as the insulation, in the said tranformer, broke down due to heat and age. This problem does not affect SLOT loading imacs at all (the 350's and above) which use upgraded components although I did not know this at the time.

I was fairly confident that I might even be able to repair the analogue board and so, did much research (looking for circuit diagrams, specifications and such). During the course of this, in a google search (about page 16 of the search results where almost no-one ever goes) an unrelated / semi related URL, with its paragraph of text, caught my eye "and the screen took on a strange red hue.........".

Note: It had OS 9.0 installed only when I got it although its owner had said it ran OS 10 fine. Well, apparrently, the original OS 10.0 installer did not check the machine firmware before installation (all later versions of OS X check the firmware revision before installation) and upon startup, after the OS X install, (if the firmware was not up to date), the CRT analogue board management software/firmware would be stuffed causing a problem that would appear IDENTICAL to a flaky flyback transformer (Note: for those who don't know: this generates the 16,000+ volts that runs the CRT). It couldn't be that easy could it? Downloaded the firmware update, ran it and ...Blink... It was perfect.

Apple released the (4.1.9) firmware update either simultaneously or within days of the first release of 10.0 so they were obviously aware of this problem and this would/should have been part of an official service bulletin. The apple centre tech that made the original diagnosis was either really badly informed or they (the apple centre) were trying to make a dishonest dollar. Don't know which.

I felt guilty for ages for getting a bargain because of such a simple problem. Much later I 'bumped' into the guy (the seller) in an online forum and confessed to the above. He confessed that HE had felt guilty for selling me a machine that he thought was on the point of death. The only people who lost out were Apple, who lost a customer to the darkside and the apple centre who could have fixed it in 5 minutes and still made $50 (or whatever their minimum service fee is).

purana
14th July 2004, 11:30 AM
Powerbook G4 15" 1.25Ghz with superdrive... RRP about $3660 odd... paid $2598 (thank goodness to working for a company in association with Apple, so we get good deals passed on from Apple)

Squozen
14th July 2004, 01:21 PM
My current Powerbook 15", worth about $4900 at the time, paid $3150, yay for salary sacrifice!

Radar
14th July 2004, 03:58 PM
Note: It had OS 9.0 installed only when I got it although its owner had said it ran OS 10 fine. Well, apparrently, the original OS 10.0 installer did not check the machine firmware before installation (all later versions of OS X check the firmware revision before installation) and upon startup, after the OS X install, (if the firmware was not up to date), the CRT analogue board management software/firmware would be stuffed causing a problem that would appear IDENTICAL to a flaky flyback transformer (Note: for those who don't know: this generates the 16,000+ volts that runs the CRT). It couldn't be that easy could it? Downloaded the firmware update, ran it and ...Blink... It was perfect.

I had that exact problem when I first got my 350 iMac. It caused me a few headaches at first, but I eventually got it fixed. It's one of the reasons I got it so cheap (Traded for a shitty XP1800+ box worth abotu $400)

cmetom
14th July 2004, 06:43 PM
a Canon A200 2.1Mpixel digital camera, with 16Mb card, $140
my second b&w G3-350MHz Powermac which has nicely clocked to 450MHz, $150

Currawong
15th July 2004, 08:29 AM
Had quite a few bargins.... if you don't need the very latest gear, you can almost always get a good bargain..

When the G4's had just been released, I got my G3 350 and Apple were giving away the $800 studio monitor for free! Still running, as my second monitor/PC monitor. I got it with an EDU warranty, under which it was fixed (they had known problems).

Just picked up that iMac on overclockers, 600Mhz, for $200. Swapped the HD for a 30Gb one and it'll become my mothers' email machine.

Got a Powerbook 1400C a couple of years ago for $50 from a customer, had 64mb RAM, but was missing the battery, CD and PSU, the latter which I got from a service tech for $50, and the battery I got for $20 from a friend, along with a CD-ROM for $50. Used it for a while then sold the whole thing for $250 on eBay.

About 3 years ago, same deal with a Powerbook 180, but it had all the bits, $40, which I later sold for $80.

Got an iMac 15" for $1600 (when they were going for $2600 second hand). The guy was a client of a mate who runs a PC shop, he was in financial crap and had to get cash fast, thus the bargain. Sold that...

Got a cube for $1300 when they were going for $2k on eBay...sold that...

The list goes on, of course. A couple of people on this forum now own some of my bargains ;)

LCGuy
15th July 2004, 09:54 AM
I got my iMac 333 in mid 2000 for $1300, a lower price than what it was worth at that point of time. (This was when the fruit flavoured slot load iMacs were still hot stuff, my 333 is a tray loader) And it was in very good condition, too. Matter of fact it had hardly ever been used. It was practically almost brand new. :D

Byrd
17th July 2004, 02:22 PM
Had a couple of Mac-related hardware purchases over the years.

Most recent: Olympus MJU-300 weatherproof digital camera, 3.2MP/3x optical zoom. Closing down sale @ Dick Smith store in Richmond (his first store, BTW!), RRP: $500, me: $200 :) Nice little camera.

Best ever: A friend's father who worked at CSIRO in Melboure was having a silent auction of Mac hardware in the early 90's. My brother and I bidded $270 on what everyone thought was a cruddy Mac II. Was a IIfx in fact, and a BEAST at the time too :D

Worst buy: a Powerbook 1400cs/166 from a computer swap meet last year for $50. Yes, that's cheap, but what a dog of a machine - terrible display, couldn't play MP3s at all (I tried every player!), slow video. Sold on eBay for $180, I think :)

Another good buy: Wallstreet Powerbook G3-233 on OCAU for $50. It has a dead power adaptor, and I'm still waiting for Apple to replace it (it was a known faulty batch).

JB

LCGuy
17th July 2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Jul 17 2004, 02:22 PM
Worst buy: a Powerbook 1400cs/166 from a computer swap meet last year for $50. Yes, that's cheap, but what a dog of a machine - terrible display, couldn't play MP3s at all (I tried every player!), slow video. Sold on eBay for $180, I think :)

Another good buy: Wallstreet Powerbook G3-233 on OCAU for $50. It has a dead power adaptor, and I'm still waiting for Apple to replace it (it was a known faulty batch).

JB
WTF? How much RAM did it have? I have a 1400c/166 (same machine as yours, but with a better display!), and i've been playing mp3s on it since it was brand new! If its got at least 32 megs it'll be fine. Even iTunes works!!! (well 1.1 works, if you have at least 56 megs of RAM, you don't want to touch it if you have any less)