PDA

View Full Version : Finder - Open with: app icon not correct

FineWine
10th December 2009, 12:46 PM
Within the "Info" pane, I have selected "TextEdit.app" for css files. The icon changes to a "TextEdit.app Document icon (blank doc with upper right corner turned over). But when I then select "Change all..." for all "css" files, the icon changes to a black oblong "Exec" icon. I have individually changed the icon to the blank page icon on two of the css files. I have Forced Quit Finder, I have killall Dock via terminal and I have done a restart all to no avail.

This "Exec" icon is relevant for Chrome Manifest files even though the default "Open with..." app has been TextEdit and has always been so. It has only been today when I decided to change the "Open with..." app to TextEdit for css files from Safari did this problem occur. I also have noticed that this problem is only partially global as my css files in ~/Sites folders use the correct TextEdit.app Document icon. It seems to affect only one folder within my Home folder where I have hundreds of css files. (Note: I do have Read & Write privileges for these files.)

How do I globally change the icon for this type of file?

FineWine
10th December 2009, 03:26 PM
I just tried LiteIcon and CandyBar programs to affect this change but to no success and as I said in first post this problem only effects the one folder in my Home directory.

soulman
10th December 2009, 05:51 PM
No solution - sorry - but I can confirm that SL seems to have some major icon problems. I have all sorts of incorrect icons here. It will be something to do with the killing of creator codes and I'm guessing Apple with fix this sometime, but it's a stupid mess at the moment.

Remember though, that the icon doesn't actually matter. Mac users are used to it being coherent, but it has no effect on how things work.

FineWine
10th December 2009, 09:56 PM
No solution - sorry - but I can confirm that SL seems to have some major icon problems.

Sorry - I forgot to mention I am using Leopard 10.5.8.

I can get the correct icon if I change to, say, Safari.app with Safari icon and it will globally change across all folders containing css files. But as soon as I change to TextEdit.app that one folder places the incorrect icon against the css files with all other folders being correct. All other text files use the correct icon.

All Very Weird!

soulman
12th December 2009, 02:25 PM
It is a bit weird. What is your actual concern about it? Just that the icon is wrong? Or is it something more functional? Not having a go, just wondering. :)

If you really want them all to have the icon you want, regardless of anything else, you can just copy an icon from the top of a Get Info window - just select it and copy - and paste it onto individual files the same way. Kind of painstaking though. Not sure what else to suggest.

FineWine
13th December 2009, 09:57 AM
It is a bit weird. What is your actual concern about it? Just that the icon is wrong?

I am just being a bit anal/OCD plus this is a bit of a puzzle that will nag at me till I find a fix (preferably easy) or Apple fixes it.

Yes I know I can individually go and change each and every icon but that would take hours as I have hundreds of these css files as I do Theme work for the Mac version of Firefox. It is just weird that it affects only one Folder directly off my Home Folder.

Anyway I intend updating to SL next year when 10.6.3 comes out and preferable when iLife'10 is released.