PDA

View Full Version : New Sensis.com.au Widget (v1.x) Released [merged]

yitzyf
3rd July 2005, 12:06 AM
I just came across this, but it looks pretty awesome! It's got Yellow Pages, White pages, Trading Post and News search tabbed in the one thing, and pops search results out with scrolling. Very compact & easy to use, :thumbup: for this one!

<a href=\'http://www.sensis.com.au/contact_us_toolbar_download.do#widget\' target=\'_blank\'>Find it here&#33;</a>

dil_baby
3rd July 2005, 11:02 AM
it seems interesting, but when ever i make a search it shows a box over the search results telling me there is a new version available, but i have the latest version (as far as i can tell anyway). Anyone else having this problem?

yitzyf
3rd July 2005, 11:08 AM
I noticed that, but just click "No" and it will go away.

I also just discovered that if you searcch Yellow Pages and put in, for example, printer vic, or printer melbourne, it will show you places from vic or melbourne or whatever you may have typed in.

Quamen
15th July 2005, 04:33 PM
I downloaded this yesterday and it&#39;s pretty good. The yellow pages widget I had is now in the bin :)

PeteC
9th August 2005, 10:00 AM
Hi All,

I’ve just released the first full version (v1.0) of the sensis.com.au search widget. It’s basically a swanky new look over the same functionality that the earlier one had – search Websites, White Pages Online, Yellow Pages Online, Trading Post and News articles all within the Dashboard. No need to open up your browser to find what you’re looking for, it’s all right there.
The “new version available” bug from v0.1 has also been fixed.

I hope you find it useful, and am more than happy to respond to any feedback that you have – either here in the forums or through the form on the back of the widget.

You can get more information and download it here:
http://www.sensis.com.au/widget.do

Oh, a handy hint: the leftmost tab searches all categories and presents the most relevant results, in the same way that sensis.com.au does. If you want to see how this works, try searching for
“snowboard hire Mansfield”, “trigger bros”, or “used Subaru WRX 1999”…
If you click on any of the other tabs, it narrows the search results down to just that category…

Pete
Widget Developer
sensis.com.au

Disko
9th August 2005, 10:05 AM
Awesome work pete. :thumbup:

This one is definately a keeper.

either here in the forums or through the form on the back of the widget. Um... back of the widget? :unsure:

edit: ahh, i see - you&#39;ve got to search first. ;)

PeteC
29th August 2005, 12:27 PM
Hi and thanks to everyone who sent us feedback on v1.0 of the Sensis search widget...

After some great work here by our other Widget developer, Stefan, we&#39;ve now released a new version which makes it possible to shrink the widget back down to it&#39;s original size after searching (by far the most popular feature request we received)

It also fixes a few other small bugs that people had reported (pagination of results being the most obvious).

You can find the widget here: http://www.sensis.com.au/widget.do

As always, we&#39;re always open to feedback and suggestions&#33;

Pete
Widgets, Widgets, Widgets...
sensis.com.au

Disko
29th August 2005, 02:09 PM
am i the only one who has this problem: When you click a link from inside the widget, i get an error (in trading post): "The ad you are trying to view is unavailable
Either the ad has expired or the ad number provided is incorrect. "

marc
29th August 2005, 05:00 PM
I think the sensis.com.au bit at the bottom of the widget is a bit pointless. We all know what service we&#39;re using, and efficient use of screen real estate on Dashboard is essential.

marc
29th August 2005, 05:03 PM
And scroll wheel support would be nice as well. Cheers.

PS: Thanks for the widget. It&#39;s great to see a company the size of Sensis move so fast on a new technology.

DJY
29th August 2005, 05:55 PM
Great update mate&#33;
Very glad I can now collapse it back to the smaller size...

still am tweaking how much I use it - as I&#39;m finding that my searches aren&#39;t proving successful oftern... but that is user error - and the need for me to suss out more what data to feed into it - to help with results.

PeteC
30th August 2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by DJY@Aug 29 2005, 05:55 PM
still am tweaking how much I use it - as I&#39;m finding that my searches aren&#39;t proving successful oftern... but that is user error - and the need for me to suss out more what data to feed into it - to help with results.
Hi DJY,

Here&#39;s the full list of what you can use to narrow down searches within White Pages, Yellow Pages, and Trading Post results:

- First Name
- Last Name
- Business Name
- Business Type
- Town/Suburb
- City (Covers all suburbs within the city. Often abbreviations work here; e.g. "Melb" for Melbourne)
- State (again, abreviations often work; e.g."vic" for Victoria)

You can use none, some, or all of those search terms to narrow your results.

Hope this makes it a little easier for you. :-)

Pete

Kharn
30th August 2005, 04:42 PM
This is great thanks, definitely a keeper on my dashboard now.

DJY
30th August 2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by PeteC@Aug 30 2005, 03:31 PM
You can use none, some, or all of those search terms to narrow your results.

Hope this makes it a little easier for you. :-)

Thanks for the list mate&#33;

I&#39;m sure it is more user error than the widget.
But one example I just tried again - was looking up myself...
either via the all tabs option or then even within just the White Pages.

I did a quick search via whitepages.com.au found myself on page 1 of the search.
Then using the same fields... tried via the widget.
no luck

Tried all sorts of options, even included more information than I did via the website to no avail.
Kept trying - gave up. Took several attempts to find a few other names as well... ended up finding most of them.

Will keep the widget though as I&#39;m sure it might come in handy for many searches.

kit
31st August 2005, 05:57 PM
All works great for me, but I do have a few suggestions:

The new Collapse button is good, but it would be more obvious for that functionality to be implemented when the user presses the Close button on the search field (as in, cancels the search). It&#39;d be nice if it removed the large grey search narrowing button when it collapsed the search too (in many cases it stops being relevant and it reduces the input field&#39;s size).

I don&#39;t get any tool-tips from the program either (I don&#39;t know if that&#39;s actually able to be implemented in a widget), but some more specific feed-back of the tool&#39;s function/name would be nice (my mum doesn&#39;t recognise the new Trading Post logo or the White Pages logo. It would be simple enough, one would think, to have the search field have the service name (in 50% grey or something) before you start typing the search (so you can click on a tab to see what you&#39;re searching).

I think the sensis logo would look less out-of-place if it wasn&#39;t placed on that "drawer" at the bottom (just take up the same amount of space and put it into the window).

Edit:
I also noticed that the collapse function is somewhat buggy (if you click the collapse button before the drawer has come all the way down, it leaves the ad-pane, and doesn&#39;t reverse the collapse-button&#39;s picture.

But yeah, fantastic widget; I&#39;m keen to see it improve over time&#33;

PeteC
2nd September 2005, 09:50 AM
DJY - I&#39;ll look into your comments further - check your PM&#39;s for some more info that I need.

kit - thanks for all the feedback, I&#39;ll look into some of what you suggested for the next release.
One thing that we can&#39;t do (and I wish we could) is to use the Close button on the search field; unfortunately (as far as I can tell from my research), use of this feature isn&#39;t supported by Apple yet... the technical explanation for this is that since <input type=search> is a new Safari/Dashboard specific tag, events pertaining to the search field either aren&#39;t documented or aren&#39;t available to JavaScript. Either way, since we use JavaScript to handle all the events within the widget, we&#39;re stuck - there&#39;s no way to know when that button&#39;s clicked. If anyone knows of how to do this, please let us know&#33;

Pete

Goodbye
2nd September 2005, 10:00 AM
Love the widget, however am I missing something with regards to searching for things around my area? I&#39;m on the Sunshine Coast, so how do I search for people/businesses/trading post ads for just my area?

yitzyf
2nd September 2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by PeteC@Sep 2 2005, 09:50 AM
One thing that we can&#39;t do (and I wish we could) is to use the Close button on the search field; unfortunately (as far as I can tell from my research), use of this feature isn&#39;t supported by Apple yet... the technical explanation for this is that since <input type=search> is a new Safari/Dashboard specific tag, events pertaining to the search field either aren&#39;t documented or aren&#39;t available to JavaScript. Either way, since we use JavaScript to handle all the events within the widget, we&#39;re stuck - there&#39;s no way to know when that button&#39;s clicked. If anyone knows of how to do this, please let us know&#33;

Pete
I don&#39;t know how to do it, but Wikipedia Widget has this very function - if you&#39;ve searched for something, and the Widget is expanded, you can just click the x in the search bar to close it. The built in dictionary Widget also has it. Isn&#39;t there some way you could use some of the code or whatever you need from there?

DJY
2nd September 2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by PeteC@Sep 2 2005, 09:50 AM
DJY - I&#39;ll look into your comments further - check your PM&#39;s for some more info that I need.
Pete
reply sent mate.

Cheers

PeteC
5th September 2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 29 2005, 02:09 PM
am i the only one who has this problem: When you click a link from inside the widget, i get an error (in trading post): "The ad you are trying to view is unavailable
Either the ad has expired or the ad number provided is incorrect. "
Disko,

Your trading post issue should now be fixed - there was an error last week in syncing data between tradingpost.com.au and sensis.com.au which has now been fixed...

Pete

Disko
5th September 2005, 02:11 PM
Cool, do i have to update the widget? Or was the issue server side?

PeteC
8th September 2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Sep 5 2005, 02:11 PM
Cool, do i have to update the widget? Or was the issue server side?
server side - no need for you to update... sorry, I should have made that clear in my original post :-)

Pete