PDA

View Full Version : Burning Aac To Cd

wantokmi
8th August 2005, 10:38 PM
Almost all of my iTunes are in AAC format. I would be able to record around 180 odd mp3s to cd, but iTunes only lets me burn around 22 songs to disc. Since AAC is smaller [and superior] what am I missing when I want to burn maximum number of AAC songs to disc?

ThanX

Johnny Appleseed
8th August 2005, 10:53 PM
iTunes burns standard audio CDs from AAC files, so the files are converted back to AIFF and therefore are larger. The only way to fit more on a CD is to burn the AAC files as a data disc, which can't be played like an MP3 CD.

Ironically you can fit more songs on an audio CD in Apple Lossless format than you can from AAC files that were encoded at 128kbps!

wantokmi
8th August 2005, 11:17 PM
At last, a reason why.

Thanks for that, Johnny Appleseed.

PyroVesten
8th August 2005, 11:46 PM
If you really need them as MP3s you can of course re-encode the AAC files as MP3s with iTunes but multiple applications of compression on the same file is never a good thing.

Johnny Appleseed
9th August 2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by wantokmi@Aug 8 2005, 11:17 PM
At last, a reason why.

Thanks for that, Johnny Appleseed.
No problemo. Actually, your question prompted me to investigate whether there are such things as AAC CD players, and it turns out there are, from several manufacturers. So if you're willing to invest in one of those you can cram all those AAC files onto a data CD and listen to them.

PyroVesten
9th August 2005, 02:08 AM
My old man has had an AAC-playing DVD player for quite a while.. and if I remember right, a lot of audio from japanes digital TV is encoded in AAC.