PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome released for Mac

mwot
9th December 2009, 06:02 AM
finally - the goodness that is Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome/) is now available for our beleoved Macs, in beta.

and not a moment too soon as Safari keeps crapping itself on my MBP.

BiRDBRAiN
9th December 2009, 06:30 AM
Installed it, I quite like it!

Pretty snappy.

adriaaan
9th December 2009, 07:12 AM
Using it now. Works well.

M.

Phorte
9th December 2009, 07:19 AM
ahh yes - finally!!!

Raffe
9th December 2009, 07:20 AM
Maybe I have a stupid disease or something but i'm clicking accept and install and getting transferred to a black page.

wmyeoh
9th December 2009, 08:10 AM
I've been using the pre-beta version for quite a while. Don't see any huge advantages over Safari, which integrates well with all the other apps. Still, it's pretty snappy.

lazydesi
9th December 2009, 08:42 AM
I am using chrome for mac from past few months and it's really snappier and better than Safari.

Exocet
9th December 2009, 08:43 AM
Doesn't do cmd+1/2/3 for accessing bookmark bar items, therefore it doesn't do it for me.

mwot
9th December 2009, 08:44 AM
it certainly rocks on WinXP. much better than FireFox.

only managed to install it on my MBP this morning but haven't had the opportunity to fire it up yet. Safari's become really unreliable for me; keeps crashing.

wmyeoh
9th December 2009, 09:21 AM
I agree that it's great on XP, but really, what are its competitors?

grfxninja
9th December 2009, 09:36 AM
I agree that it's great on XP, but really, what are its competitors?

Touché!

I am giving it a go today (Pretty much most of my working day is spent on the internet so it will get a pretty reasonable workout).
So far I like it, but will probably stick with Safari for a couple of reasons. I haven't experienced any Safari stability problems lately, so "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ;)

LennyX
9th December 2009, 09:38 AM
Has anyone got Java working? Chrome doesn't seem to like it.

yinyang
9th December 2009, 10:05 AM
been using it for a while, and really like it - think it's 'snappier' than Safari, but until 1Password support appears, I won't be switching yet.

twombles_62
9th December 2009, 10:16 AM
Just installed it, I like it so far. Much better scrolling than Firefox, but still not as smooth as safari.

iCarllovesapple
9th December 2009, 10:24 AM
Can anyone tell me if Chrome exports bookmarks yet?? In the older "beta" I couldn't do it.. Loved Chrome though!! So fast & clean! Never use 1password or the tab switching command so It's fine for me! Never even crashed!!

Cybix
9th December 2009, 10:37 AM
Isn't chrome based on webkit? (as is Safari)...

It will trump Firefox... dunno about Safari, maybe. :)

I love chrome on my work 'doze' machine

sleek881
9th December 2009, 02:13 PM
Can anyone tell me if Chrome exports bookmarks yet?? In the older "beta" I couldn't do it.. Loved Chrome though!! So fast & clean! Never use 1password or the tab switching command so It's fine for me! Never even crashed!!

Do you mean export or import? :confused:

LennyX
9th December 2009, 02:25 PM

It doesn't export bookmarks but an upcoming version (it's already in a build of Chromium I was trying) will let you sync your bookmarks across multiple computers with Chrome using your Google account.

Tab switching is Control+Tab which is the same as Safari/Firefox/Photoshop CS4/just about everything.

jaredtomas
9th December 2009, 04:34 PM
I'm loving it. Safari used to crap out on a daily basis.

dotnet
9th December 2009, 05:02 PM
It was worth a look, but I wonder - what does it do that Safari doesn't? Or what does it do better? Given the things it lacks it's not really a serious contender for the time being.

Cheers
Steffen.

MissionMan
9th December 2009, 05:13 PM
Need 1password support or I won't use it

DeanCorp
9th December 2009, 06:16 PM
I find the scrolling a bit too slow.

velocite
9th December 2009, 07:22 PM
love its speed
yet to crash and have tried banking, blogs, chats, online purchasing, email etc

wmyeoh
9th December 2009, 08:41 PM
Completely off topic, but Chrome for Ubuntu absolutely rocks, considering Firefox was the gold standard previously. So snappy!

gikku
9th December 2009, 08:51 PM
OMFG! where did all those ads come from.
It's like they've stolen the net and replaced it with junk mail.

needing ad-block urgently.

Currawong
9th December 2009, 11:35 PM
No 1Password or Click2Flash support. I was not happy when SMH.com.au decided to pop up a video advert in the middle of me trying to read. Scumbags. Yeah, I deserve it for going to the site etc etc.

ANYWAY, the main benefit IMO is that each tab is an application, so the browser can't end up hogging hundreds of megs of RAM still after closing all the tabs. There are security benefits too to the design, as the apps the tabs are get jailed from accessing the rest of the file system or computer, more or less.

yinyang
10th December 2009, 12:57 AM
For the 1Password users, this temporary solution seems to be working for me...

Tip: Get a little 1Password 3 in Google Chrome now (Opera too!) - Switchers' Blog (http://www.switchersblog.com/2009/12/tip-one-way-to-get-1password-3-in-google-chrome-now-opera-too.html)

though I decided to drag the bookmarklet directly from Safari to the Chrome, since running import on Chrome seemed to kill it!!

Tried it with one site and it works fine, but it is only supposed to be a stop-gap measure!

Enjoy :)

tcimac
10th December 2009, 09:16 PM
Seems very speedy. But I want 1Password compatibility too....

melbmac
16th December 2009, 04:46 PM
Finally got round to downloading it and giving it a crack, got to say, I am a bit of a fan!

ghettro
26th December 2009, 05:40 PM
Using it now since the beta came out. I started to get sick of Safari crashing so much and losing all my pages, really annoying. Chrome seems a lot more stable, also I love how it displays the icons for the bookmark menu, so you can just delete the name and have icons with no text.

scruffie
26th December 2009, 09:03 PM
i like it! it looks and feels spiffy.

Raffe
29th December 2009, 05:02 PM
Help would be greatly appreciated. Am trying to download Chrome but every time I click that I accept the terms and conditions nothing happens. I get transported to a blank page with the dmg file in the address bar but it doesn't download.

I tried it on FireFox as well and it still didn't work. Everything else downloads fine and i've tried it on three different wireless networks.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope!

mwot
7th January 2010, 10:55 PM
Chrome for Mac finally set for Extensions (http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/06/chrome-for-mac-extensions-sync/) (for dev channel version only, not beta)

James01
12th February 2010, 07:22 PM
The beta version now supports extensions, bookmark sync, bookmark management, and a few other features.
Google Chrome Blog: A new beta of Google Chrome for Mac - with extensions and more (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-beta-of-google-chrome-for-mac-with.html)

Chrome keeps getting better and better!

One problem still remains though: it doesn't scroll smoothly when using trackpad gestures. Safari is buttery smooth, but the refresh rate of Chrome's scrolling is annoyingly low. It's not *awful*, but it's enough to get on my nerves.

Has anyone else noticed this?

reemixx
12th February 2010, 07:54 PM
The beta version now supports extensions, bookmark sync, bookmark management, and a few other features.
Google Chrome Blog: A new beta of Google Chrome for Mac - with extensions and more (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-beta-of-google-chrome-for-mac-with.html)

Chrome keeps getting better and better!

One problem still remains though: it doesn't scroll smoothly when using trackpad gestures. Safari is buttery smooth, but the refresh rate of Chrome's scrolling is annoyingly low. It's not *awful*, but it's enough to get on my nerves.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I just switched from the dev release to the beta now that it has extension support. No problems so far.

I've also noticed the jerky scrolling in Chrome. It's pretty evident with the Magic Mouse in comparison with Safari, which - as you said - is buttery smooth. It's a bit of a shame 'cause Chrome seems very polished in all other regards.

But... It's still a beta, so there's hope yet.