PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro 2.53ghz Battery Issues

STK
8th December 2009, 02:22 PM
Hi All,
I'm having issues with my MBP battery.

The battery has had 302 charge cycles and has a 96% health reading.

When i first got the computer 12 months ago I could nearly hold 4 hours of power and now it will only hold just over 2 hours...So why would my battery health be at 96% when the battery is only lasting the equivalent of 60%?

I can understand why the battery would have a low health after 302 charge cycles but since health claims to be at 96% I should be getting around 4 hours still....Any suggestions/reasons?

namman
8th December 2009, 02:37 PM
Try calibrating it

Cybix
8th December 2009, 03:35 PM
charge it up fully. unplug it, use it (productively or play a video file or something) until it completely dies (goes to sleep), leave it for another four hours or so until it's not even asleep anymore.

Then charge it up fully again.

namman
8th December 2009, 03:55 PM
charge it up fully. unplug it, use it (productively or play a video file or something) until it completely dies (goes to sleep), leave it for another four hours or so until it's not even asleep anymore.

Then charge it up fully again.

AKA calibrating :D

I should have explained it to him what calibrating was...

STK
8th December 2009, 05:01 PM
Done calibrate, still the same.

Cybix
8th December 2009, 05:11 PM
impossible. I said drain it fully, let it sleep, let it die off from sleep, and let it sit for four hours, then re-charge it.

I don't want to even hear from you until tomorrow bro... DO IT AGAIN.

lol

STK
8th December 2009, 05:14 PM
right im gunna leave it for 9 hours overnight then.....

STK
8th December 2009, 05:19 PM
Oh and another thing if I let the computer fully deplete, instead of sleeping it goes into (hibernate?) sleep (no sleep light).

Cybix
8th December 2009, 05:28 PM
Oh and another thing if I let the computer fully deplete, instead of sleeping it goes into (hibernate?) sleep (no sleep light).

yeah once it runs out of sleep juice, it will hibernate.

so next time you power it up (after a full charge), it will resume it's state.

STK
9th December 2009, 06:19 PM
Done the calibrate, health is 95% but it still lasts just over 2 hours (2:20)

namman
9th December 2009, 06:50 PM
What's the full charge capacity listed as under system profiler? To check that - go to the apple icon, click on about this mac, more info, and its under power.

STK
9th December 2009, 06:55 PM
Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: 6N839UBX13EB
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3923
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4424
Health Information:
Cycle count: 304
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 381
Voltage (mV): 12314

namman
10th December 2009, 06:14 AM
Well judging from that then you should be getting more than the two and a half hours you said you have been seeing. But, you said 302 cycles, these batteries are rated for 300 cycles. I haven't been using apple computers for very long but I think you need a new battery. It seems liveable at the moment, but if its a big deal for you. Just keep going and see how it goes.

n20nine
10th December 2009, 10:17 PM
i am in the same situation as you, mine is a macbook aluminium. only thing is my battery cycle is half yours. calibrating does not seem to help :(

iCarllovesapple
11th December 2009, 01:29 AM
I've had my Unibody Macbook Pro for over a year too. It's battery health is still at 98% and I've only been through 118 cycles. Whenever I can find a powercable, I plug my Macbook Pro in. The Apple computer will not continue to charge the battery after it's already reached its full capacity. It is perfectly safe to leave the charger on constantly. Calibrate the battery once a month and you should be good to go (When you get a new battery)! I don't recommend buying a battery from Ebay - they can be dodgy. Go into an Apple store or Reseller (next byte, compnow etc) and buy a genuine one. You can try contacting Apple since it's only just been a year but I doubt that they will replace it because of it's cycle count! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

iCameron
14th December 2009, 12:02 PM
STK i've got 327 loadcycles and my MBP 2.53GHz is 17 months old. Battery Capacity? 87%!

and my battery lasts, 2hrs(ish)

The_Hawk
14th December 2009, 12:26 PM
I had over 500 cycles on a White MacBook which would still get 3+ hours of normal use, even when running a 3G USB modem. That machine used to get good full charge/discharge cycles on a regular basis which I believe is "good" for the battery. Health was always reported as very good ;)

From what I was told and what I read this is more the exception than the rule, reality being 300+ cycles and your up for a new battery.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/Other/Random002/Snapshot2009-08-2012-42-13.jpg

basseyy
15th December 2009, 06:09 PM
how do you work out how many cycles a MBP battery has done?

namman
15th December 2009, 06:28 PM
how do you work out how many cycles a MBP battery has done?

Go to the Apple logo at the top > About this Mac > More info > Power (on the left navbar)

And there you have it :D

basseyy
16th December 2009, 01:27 PM
Go to the Apple logo at the top > About this Mac > More info > Power (on the left navbar)

And there you have it :D

thanks mate

GrahamDerby
2nd February 2010, 10:49 PM
Having had my battery suddenly fail, I followed the helpful guidance to try and establish the number of cycles my battery had gone through. The results I got were strange, suggesting that there was no battery and no charging cycles:
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

Any ideas on what I should do now would be very welcome. Thanks