PDA

View Full Version : Waze: Community mapping

kyte
8th December 2009, 08:31 AM
Interesting concept. Started waze-ing this morning.

Any other wazers here?

iTunes Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id323229106?mt=8)

ourfoz
9th December 2009, 07:21 AM
Started yesterday arvo after seeing your post :)

brawlster
9th December 2009, 07:46 AM
Interesting concept. Started waze-ing this morning.

Any other wazers here?

iTunes Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id323229106?mt=8)

I've just installed it.

jb

DeKa
9th December 2009, 01:39 PM
I installed it before and went for a drive. The roads weren't on Waze...
It said during the "What is Waze" intro, that by driving, "in areas where the map is not yet built, you'll automatically start paving roads as you drive. If you like mapping, you'll have a ton of fun."

It appears it is NOT automatic. You have to touch the 'road roller' icon on the left of the screen at the start of a road, drive, and then touch the road roller again to stop.

kyte
9th December 2009, 04:21 PM
It appears it is NOT automatic. You have to touch the 'road roller' icon on the left of the screen at the start of a road, drive, and then touch the road roller again to stop.

True. Even when you do though, there are issues with how the software addresses the gps chip in the phone, and when you get lots of dropouts (which apparently I did), then nothing is recorded (logical, really, I just wasnt expecting most of my route to drop out). I started by doing my route to work. Of that, only 4k (out of a possible 16k) has turned up on the map, and because of how it all works, I really have NO idea which 4k it is. I'm going to play with google overlays in the morning to see if I can establish the exact location.

Not sure if I will continue with this, its a lot more work than I anticipated.

DeKa
10th December 2009, 10:40 AM
I started by doing my route to work. Of that, only 4k (out of a possible 16k) has turned up on the map, and because of how it all works, I really have NO idea which 4k it is. I'm going to play with google overlays in the morning to see if I can establish the exact location.

Mine doesn't seem to have any GPS issues with dropouts. Maybe it's helped by my car's glass roof ;)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/daniyella20/207GTtop.jpg

None of my maps have showed up on the web interface yet though (it's been over a day).

DeKa
10th December 2009, 11:10 AM

I just checked and my drives are showing up in Waze now. It's incredibly fiddly to fix and name the roads you've driven on. The web interface is just *so* slow to respond. I don't think I've got the dedication!

brawlster
10th December 2009, 11:23 AM
I just checked and my drives are showing up in Waze now. It's incredibly fiddly to fix and name the roads you've driven on. The web interface is just *so* slow to respond. I don't think I've got the dedication!

Yeah i've found that it takes MORE than a day for the map to show up. And it's VERY slow to load pages and I can't even add the names of the roads because I don't have enough points to be granted permission to do so.

I guess we're at the VERY VERY early stages. I mean I live less than 5 ks from sydney CBD and there's hardly and named roads and just a few squiggles where people have driven.

Funniest thing is driving along and getting LIVE traffic updates of accidents...when you click on them you realise they've happened in MILAN ITALY !!!

Frickin hilarious.

There's at least 1 other wazer in Sydney and we're slowly going to get there....

jb

SoulGlo
10th December 2009, 11:32 AM
Agree - it's been pretty fiddly to name the streets and the website is crawling along...

In theory it's a pretty good idea - and seems to work all the time 60% of the time..

Hopefully they iron out the bugs and get it all running nice and smooth...

(Any one else taken a detour on the way home just to map some unmapped road like me? :nerd:)

DeKa
10th December 2009, 03:11 PM
Funniest thing is driving along and getting LIVE traffic updates of accidents...when you click on them you realise they've happened in MILAN ITALY !!!

Frickin hilarious.

Or Russia!!!

There's at least 1 other wazer in Sydney and we're slowly going to get there....

Me :)

(Any one else taken a detour on the way home just to map some unmapped road like me? :nerd:)
Yes, but primarily because there are no maps for my area, so I don't want people knowing where I live, so I drove around a couple of the local blocks. If you look at North Ryde now, you can guess where I work ;)

Android_Daniel
10th December 2009, 11:07 PM
Hey Guys, Daniel from the waze team here. First off I'm glad to see this enthusiasm about our product hit the land down under.

We have only opened up our service worldwide and as someone pointed out, in terms of world wide service we are indeed in VERY VERY early stages. As such there will be issues and problems with our product that we need your help to address.

As for some issues brought up already. Yes we are aware that it takes some time for map to show up. We are working on making this happen faster but so much of the world is imputing roads sometimes it just takes some time for things to show up on the map.

As for live traffic alerts coming from far away places, we've experienced this problem before and we should be able to fix it.

Please remember that we are in a very early stage and the more people start using our service and the stronger our community gets the better things will get.

We are very serious about fostering a community and have a couple of ways for you to stay in touch with us if you are interested.

1. You can check out our waze forums where you can make suggestions for upcoming releases and get general support about issues you are facing with the client waze.com • Index page (http://www.waze.com/forum/)

2. You can follow us on twitter. waze (waze) on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/waze)

3. If twitter is not your thing we also have a facebook fan page
Waze | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waze/86232932633)

Glad this is picking up steam down under and to have you all aboard.

Sincerely

Daniel Feldman
-the waze team

brawlster
11th December 2009, 07:03 AM
Yes, but primarily because there are no maps for my area, so I don't want people knowing where I live, so I drove around a couple of the local blocks. If you look at North Ryde now, you can guess where I work ;)

I reckon i saw you the other day. There was ONE other icon driving around Sydney and it was up near ryde. I'm over newtown way.

jb

DeKa
11th December 2009, 08:31 AM
I reckon i saw you the other day. There was ONE other icon driving around Sydney and it was up near ryde. I'm over newtown way.

jb

I saw you ;)

debbiep
11th December 2009, 02:52 PM
Hi Daniel and waze, welcome to mactalk AU.

I think that what you're doing is a great idea and I'll definitely download the app and try it when I am home. I see that your Melbourne map is still a "work in progress". It's very pretty, minimalist art style. :)

It is a pity that you can't use the extensive map data out of OpenStreetMap.org, because it's very good quality in Melbourne. I know, I know, I've read the FAQ about licensing incompatibilities, and this meme must surely follow waze around everywhere like a little yappy dog... I've spent a bit of effort contributing to the OSM map so I'm keen to see it gain traction.

(For those of you at home who don't know about OSM, check it out at openstreetmap.org. And to keep things on topic, there is an OSM point-of-interest collector (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mapzen-poi-collector/id338079717?mt=8) for iPhone.)

DeKa
2nd January 2010, 01:07 PM
How are you all going with your Wazing? I've given up .. way too much work. They *really* need to get some content up. OSM is the perfect candidate... and even though there are issues, they need to overcome them if they want Waze to be successful.

brawlster
2nd January 2010, 01:24 PM
How are you all going with your Wazing? I've given up .. way too much work. They *really* need to get some content up. OSM is the perfect candidate... and even though there are issues, they need to overcome them if they want Waze to be successful.

Yeah the map editing is a total dog. You'd have to be very dedicated. It's so annoyingly slow and clumbersome to edit roads. Worst of all, i find i can't even make changes to a road that's there UNLESS it's been there a while, or you previously attempted to edit it. It seems a road you created the day before can't be edited but one you created a week ago can.

Then when you go back and try to edit things that are wrong, it won't delete or change them even though it say it has !

So much potential but they really need to work on the editing function for it to really take off.

jb

kyte
2nd January 2010, 02:04 PM
I gave up on it soon after I posted before. I'm afraid my time is worth more and more to me as I age... too fiddly, too much trouble. Great idea badly implemented.

debbiep
6th January 2010, 07:44 PM
How are you all going with your Wazing?

I tried it once, turning it on after I left my home because it's not clear to me what Waze does to protect my privacy. The map needs a lot of work, and I'm only a little sorry to admit that I'm not going to contribute to a map that I don't co-own. DeKa is right; without OSM, I don't see how Waze is going to gain traction.

Turps
7th January 2010, 02:08 PM
I have done abit. A mate and I have done most of Bendigo. It does have some faults. Its slow to load. Dosent mark roads when you make them. On the edit thing it is slow to do. I also wonder what is being done with the maps after we have all spent hours making them.
I do have 37k points and ranked 883 though.

DeKa
15th June 2010, 08:34 PM
I used Waze a bit over the long weekend. It looks like some Wazers have been doing a lot of work in Sydney as many more roads are on Waze now. I also saw plenty of other Wazers driving around too.

I still think it's a long way from gaining any traction.

conufsed
15th June 2010, 09:34 PM
I see this and think of community generated data stolen by a company for their own profit (think CDDB, and IMDB for example)

Why would I give this information away for free?

Cybix
15th June 2010, 10:10 PM
I did it for about a week, then figured the same thing, I'm just building maps for someone else.

I guess I'm doing the same for foursquare though eh