PDA

View Full Version : real world battery life MBP

whitemacbook
8th December 2009, 02:57 AM
has anyone managed to get anywhere near the 7 or 8 hours wireless productivity advertised by Apple?

I've just switched to battery power and I'm seeing 5 hours and change and all I have open is safari on the mactalk page.

Display is about 25%,keyboard light off,wireless on,inbuilt graphics card on that's it.
The most I've seen is 6 hours.

Seems Mr Refurb Claus saw fit not only bump the processor speed to 3.06Ghz he also slotted in a 500GB 7200rpm hard drive.

Is the drop in battery life a tradeoff for the higher specs?

namman
8th December 2009, 08:11 AM
Well the 13 and 15 inch macbook and macbook pros are rated at getting up to 7 hours and I get close to 7 after calibrating. Plus, apple did say that was only when screen brightness was at 50% and all they did was web browsing and basic tasks. Usually I get 6 hours if I use it normally and don't worry about calibrating it.

jusrus
8th December 2009, 09:52 AM
has anyone managed to get anywhere near the 7 or 8 hours wireless productivity advertised by Apple?

Seems Mr Refurb Claus saw fit not only bump the processor speed to 3.06Ghz he also slotted in a 500GB 7200rpm hard drive.

Is the drop in battery life a tradeoff for the higher specs?

I'm on a 13 inch, and I"ve certainly noticed a significant drop off in battery life since installing my 7200rpm drive. I love the performance boost though, so I'm happy to suck it.

glacierdave
8th December 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm getting about 5-6 hours on my MBP (upgraded to 500GB hard drive) in relatively normal use (i.e. I'm not bothering much to reduce screen brightness or disable wifi and stuff).

On that basis I feel I could probably get to 7 hours by messing with various power saving measures but I'm not dissatisfied enough with my current battery life to bother.

whitemacbook
8th December 2009, 05:32 PM
I was looking for a 500Gb external for time machine I might get just a 5400 drive do a swap and compare temps,life and performance then decide which one goes in an external case then.

or can anyone attest to real world difference between 72K and 54K drives?

namman
8th December 2009, 07:28 PM
My mate has a 7200RPM hard drive in his MBP and he says that the difference is absolutely negligible. Unless you need the extra... let's say 10 minutes, then a 72k RPM drive won't be for you. If you're THAT desperate for battery life, I don't know why you are straying far from a powerpoint anyway.

fotografer
8th December 2009, 07:39 PM

I've just switched to battery power and I'm seeing 5 hours and change and all I have open is safari on the mactalk page.I have gone almost 8 hours on the July 2009 MBP under the following conditions :-

- WiFi Off (using cable connection in office)
- Brightness at about 25%
- Running Entourage, Powerpoint, Excel and Safari

I almost always leave the power brick at home (or in the hotel when i am travelling) as I know that the MBP will last me the whole workday. However, if I need to do presentations on a projector, I will bring the power brick just in case (but never had to use it yet).