PDA

View Full Version : Pages, widows and orphans

writer
7th December 2009, 01:54 PM
I know the guide said "If you have an issue with an application (e.g: Safari, or iPhoto, or Adium), it goes in the Applications forum."

I can't find any "applications forum" and the search facility takes me nowhere.

I want to know how to set up a document preference in Pages that does not automatically prevent widow and orphan lines.

Currently I can only adjust it each time it happens -- for one page in a document. Since my usual documents are 400 pages, it drives me crazy, having to deselect "prevent widow and orphan lines" every time.

I *like* widows and orphans.

icant
7th December 2009, 03:48 PM
On my Pages (09) I can select all text, and then select or deselect the “Prevent Widow and Orphan Lines” selection.

marc
7th December 2009, 04:56 PM
On my Pages (09) I can select all text, and then select or deselect the “Prevent Widow and Orphan Lines” selection.
Which probably means the settings can be saved to styles as well.

writer
8th December 2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, thanks. The "select all" and then delete widows and orphans worked.

Seems an odd way to approach it -- in previous mac programs I could set up my preferences for that and all future documents.

I'll try saving it to styles.
I still miss Claris Works.

Thanks for the help.
Much appreciated

marc
8th December 2009, 10:26 PM
Seems an odd way to approach it -- in previous mac programs I could set up my preferences for that and all future documents.
That's because it's now a paragraph attribute. This is more powerful because you can have different styles with and without orphans.

You should be able to save a template with all styles set to not have orphans and you'll never see them again.

writer
10th December 2009, 10:49 PM
"You should be able to save a template with all styles set to not have orphans and you'll never see them again."

This would be good. I still have to set my document to no widows and orphans daily at least. Whenever I take a chunk out, edit it in email before sending it to my writing partner and paste it back in, I have to do it again.

It's also most annoying that a search for "widows and orphans" (or just widows or orphans) in the help function throws up "no results found."

I've been using mac word processing since the 80's and Pages is full of irritating habits.